What's new
What's new

Need To Find Sponsors for The UH FSAE Team

alskdjfhg

Diamond
I'm actually not the one officially supposed to be asking, but since I've got the PM account, I volunteered.

I'm the team lead for the UH FSAE suspension sub team. For those that don't know, FSAE is a student engineering organization where students design and build a 1/4 scale F1 style racer.

Just like full scale racing, the formula for speed is money squared. This being a student organization, money is always an issue.

As of now, we've got a sponsor lined up for some water jetting, and we've designed a lot of parts and fixture tools to be water jetted then welded together.

Last year I made a bunch of suspension parts, and will most likely being so again. But if someone has a manual mill and lathe, there are a lot of misc little brackets and spacers that are easily manually done.

Going forward, someone with a CNC lathe or mill would be tremendously useful. Also any material or tool sponsors would be very useful. Pretty much any scrap aluminum (could really use 4 5" OD 8" long 7075 rounds) or steel would be useful.

General purpose shop tools and supplies are also very useful.

If anyone would be interested, fell free to shoot me a PM, email, call or text.

Matthew Bunting
[email protected]
832 649 9048

I did some serious time on the U of M FSAE team and was able to find a sponsor through PM... Great program, wish more people got involved. Really can't say enough good things about it, other than what it does to some peoples GPA's :D

I did some serious time on the U of M FSAE team and was able to find a sponsor through PM... Great program, wish more people got involved. Really can't say enough good things about it, other than what it does to some peoples GPA's :D

Yeah it's been a real demand of time. Learned a fair amount about vehicle dynamics though.

And it is about the only way some of the people I go to school with get into a "shop" environment and work a little with their hands.

I've been spending a lot of time going over the basics of part design, why it's important to make a good prints with things like all the dimensions and tolerances.

Good for you! My son is currently at the University of Toledo and also involved with the fsea team. They seem to have a lot of sponsors. I wouldn't think it would be too much of an issue to find shops willing to help. Does your school have machinery? UT has a pretty impressive shop with CNC mills (Haas I think) and most of the manual stuff. Are you looking mainly for shops to do machine work or sponsors in general?

material or tool sponsors would be very useful. Pretty much any scrap aluminum (could really use 4 5" OD 8" long 7075 rounds) or steel would be useful.

General purpose shop tools and supplies are also very useful.

Put together two tabular grids - plain, not complicated "spreadsheet".

One is a materials BOM. Decription, specs, sizes, need column. Have column. Same again for hand tools & metrology

Make it comprehensive. No need to be shy. It will either appear or it will not. Drops most of us have "some of". Spare, idle, or surplus backup metrology most of us have "some of". Machining ops may not be so easy to quantify just yet, but these might be.

Get it rolling, update it. Fresh post each go if need be. ELSE cut it in off a link to a server so it can be updated on remoted source even after the PM edit expires.

You don't need 12 micrometers, all the same range, and zero of some other thing, so folks need to know the state of play if any good is to come of it.

Taken as "stipulated" a donation is a donation, no strings, no whining about where it ends up or if it was prudent to sell or trade it for some more essential need - it is yours to manage as you see fit, no longer our worry.

Matthew Bunting
[email protected]
832 649 9048

Good for you! My son is currently at the University of Toledo and also involved with the fsea team. They seem to have a lot of sponsors. I wouldn't think it would be too much of an issue to find shops willing to help. Does your school have machinery? UT has a pretty impressive shop with CNC mills (Haas I think) and most of the manual stuff. Are you looking mainly for shops to do machine work or sponsors in general?

We've got next to nothing. Got a bench grinder, drill press, small tig welder, small US General toolbox with very basic harbor freight tools, and a very light welding table.

Were looking for both really, but monetary sponsors would probably be the most needed

Put together two tabular grids - plain, not complicated "spreadsheet".

One is a materials BOM. Decription, specs, sizes, need column. Have column. Same again for hand tools & metrology

Make it comprehensive. No need to be shy. It will either appear or it will not. Drops most of us have "some of". Spare, idle, or surplus backup metrology most of us have "some of". Machining ops may not be so easy to quantify just yet, but these might be.

Get it rolling, update it. Fresh post each go if need be. ELSE cut it in off a link to a server so it can be updated on remoted source even after the PM edit expires.

You don't need 12 micrometers, all the same range, and zero of some other thing, so folks need to know the state of play if any good is to come of it.

Taken as "stipulated" a donation is a donation, no strings, no whining about where it ends up or if it was prudent to sell or trade it for some more essential need - it is yours to manage as you see fit, no longer our worry.

The inventory for our "shop" is basically nothing and we could use pretty much anything. Seriously.

But I'll work on making a more clear list.

We've got next to nothing. Got a bench grinder, drill press, small tig welder, small US General toolbox with very basic harbor freight tools, and a very light welding table.

Were looking for both really, but monetary sponsors would probably be the most needed

The inventory for our "shop" is basically nothing and we could use pretty much anything. Seriously.

I think you need to do. Stuff that is actually project-relevant, IOW.

Money is always useful. Remind us. Is that email set up to accept paypal?

As to hardware, all too easy for some among us to figure "well if you have NOTHING.." then damn-near BURY you in USELESS junk, too, as "adequate storage and secure space for it" is another "don't have", I am sure.

I have not been on campus in 30+ years - the closest I have come is in the rare time that I fly in on Southwest to Hobby and drive by on the Gulf freeway to get to my parents on the far west side.

BSME UH '83 and FSAE '83. FSAE was still a regional (Texas based) event back then. With oil dropping to around $10/barrel in '82, fund raising was a bitch and we raised a grand total of **$600** between the local chapters of SAE and ASME. Our faculty adviser "loaned" us a drive train (he bought a Honda 600 (car w/ a 2 cyl air cooled engine) off of one of his grad students). But the old Y-building (probably torn down before you entered collage) contained the ME department's machine shop - yes we had access to a machine/fab shop - we were allowed to use the equipment under supervision - WW2 Southbend lathes (still had the war dept tags on them), a Bridgeport or two, welders, fabrication equipment; with three full time machinist / fabricators on staff. Working around those three enlightened me on the typical small machine shop / prototype shop culture and it served me very well in my career! I tried to attach an image of our project/small team but am having no success.

So, post a PayPal accepting address.

much any scrap aluminum (could really use 4 5" OD 8" long 7075 rounds) or steel would be useful.

Some time when over Matt, take a look at the FORTAL (improved 7075) laying around. There is a 4 X 6 X 30" solid for sure.

I have not been on campus in 30+ years - the closest I have come is in the rare time that I fly in on Southwest to Hobby and drive by on the Gulf freeway to get to my parents on the far west side.

BSME UH '83 and FSAE '83. FSAE was still a regional (Texas based) event back then. With oil dropping to around $10/barrel in '82, fund raising was a bitch and we raised a grand total of **$600** between the local chapters of SAE and ASME. Our faculty adviser "loaned" us a drive train (he bought a Honda 600 (car w/ a 2 cyl air cooled engine) off of one of his grad students). But the old Y-building (probably torn down before you entered collage) contained the ME department's machine shop - yes we had access to a machine/fab shop - we were allowed to use the equipment under supervision - WW2 Southbend lathes (still had the war dept tags on them), a Bridgeport or two, welders, fabrication equipment; with three full time machinist / fabricators on staff. Working around those three enlightened me on the typical small machine shop / prototype shop culture and it served me very well in my career! I tried to attach an image of our project/small team but am having no success.

So, post a PayPal accepting address.

They let the FSAE program die since it was first started at UH. This year's car will be the 4th year they have done it.

Since we're so new, there is very little in the way of school support (UH administrators don't like us very much and would prefer FSAE to not be a thing due to liability). And there is very little in the way of faculty mentors, advisors, or established donors.

And funding is CRAZY tight, I think were looking at under 1000 so far.

We are in Bld 7 at the ERP. These buildigs have been there since the 40's, so rather drafty and leaky. But they have some BEAUTIFUL fishbelly P&H overhead cranes that I wish I had in my shop.

I'll be sure to post a paypal as soon as I get one (I'll ask tomorrow).

Some time when over Matt, take a look at the FORTAL (improved 7075) laying around. There is a 4 X 6 X 30" solid for sure.

That would be about perfect!

Works got be running circles this week, I'll work 41 hours this week once It's over. But I'll try to get a time lined up to head your way soon, I'd like to steal some level now that I got the planer somewhat going.

That would be about perfect!
Works got be running circles this week, I'll work 41 hours this week once It's over. But I'll try to get a time lined up to head your way soon, I'd like to steal some level now that I got the planer somewhat going.

Any time Matt - except 14 Nov afternoon

I see my guess at 4" is off, actual is 3.62"

Just pulled the folder with the certs
Says 74.4K Tensile and 61.8K Yield with 10% elongation - fairly stout for Al-you-minium

Stavros picked up 30" rotab today

SAE Baja all the way! Formula is cool too, just not my style.

I am currently the main "machinist" for our team and work in one of our machine shops helping out all of the engineering design teams.

All teams start somewhere and grow. Some of my favorite repairs have been done at competition with nothing more than a grinder, welder, and hand tools. Gotta get creative when you have limited resources.

Good luck with your build this year!

Any time Matt - except 14 Nov afternoon

I see my guess at 4" is off, actual is 3.62"

Just pulled the folder with the certs
Says 74.4K Tensile and 61.8K Yield with 10% elongation - fairly stout for Al-you-minium

Stavros picked up 30" rotab today

Ok cool, I'll try to send you an email as soon as I get a chance.

I'm glad ya'll got it lined up, he wanted to use my 19", but it was too small.

I am currently the main "machinist" for our team and work in one of our machine shops helping out all of the engineering design teams.

All teams start somewhere and grow. Some of my favorite repairs have been done at competition with nothing more than a grinder, welder, and hand tools. Gotta get creative when you have limited resources.

I may end up doing FSAE BAJA myself when I do capstone in the spring and fall of next year. I won't be able to do the actual competition, or atleast it wouldn't be likely.

Ok cool, I'll try to send you an email as soon as I get a chance.

I'm glad ya'll got it lined up, he wanted to use my 19", but it was too small.

I may end up doing FSAE BAJA myself when I do capstone in the spring and fall of next year. I won't be able to do the actual competition, or atleast it wouldn't be likely.

I have had a chance to drive our formula car a few times. While it was fun, I am not itching to do it again. Hitting a traffic cone in a parking lot can result in a lot more damage than you would think since body panels are made to be light weight.

Meanwhile we think of it as a great time when the baja car hits a tree at full speed or flips off of a jump. Nobody gets hurt, and the car is easy to repair. Plus we are allowed to repair and heavily modify our cars during competition.

See how receptive your team is to having a capstone project done for their car. We have had it done many times, and the baja team/car always suffers as a result. That may be due to flaws in our capstone senior design class. We allow people to present ideas and designs to us, but we make no guarantee that we will actually build capstone designs or put any of the team funding towards them. Generally this is due to timeline differences between the course and the team's ideal timeline.

Figured I should bump this thread showing what's been make with the 7075 from JohnO.

Front outboard suspention stuff is pretty much done. I made the main uprights, but the other stuff was made by other people
4e668c119f3ab236a1306a87052e8948.jpg
3344e552b91b2d417a5a0acf75b6b9c2.jpg
fc1e3c2f1cb85785a213f4bfd31d6182.jpg
8e766dbac7d56cb2e11a14db50df40b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I was a Sae Baja member all 4 years of college. It was were I learned all my machining skills. Nothing like learning how to machine in the schools sweet machine shop.

Good luck formula sae is a super tough competition. Those boys spend a ton of time to get those cars to boogy. 7th place overall was the best I did as the captain of the Baja team.

Yeah it can be a handful.

Especially teaching the important of thinking how stuff gets assembled, making good drawings, planning, ordering material, developing industrial contacts, etc.

Which, through no fault of their own engineering students suck at.

With some experience, I can tell some will be super good engineers though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My offer of a modest donation (via PayPal) made in this thread back in Nov is still available. I don't recall seeing a response w/ a suggested address.

Back