What's new
What's new

How To Shear Small Round Bar

munruh

Hot Rolled
I have a job that I have need to shear 400 pieces of 1/8" 304 SS round bar into 6" lengths a couple times a year. Would anyone have a recommendation of aa small hand shear or way to cut these?

Is that the sliding tube die thing, anyhow not difficult to make a sliding shear die set the right size, aka bench shear with a hole,
Mark

Felco (Swiss) makes a good cable cutter than can double for cutting small solid bars. The C12 I have in hand says it is good for 12mm cable and 4mm bar. Loos Cable in Florida sold a bench mounted version. I had one of those and mounted it to a 2 X 8 board so I could clamp it to a bench and pull it off quickly. I cut threads on the end of the handle on the bench unit and installed a 1 /7/8 plastic ball, it was easier on the left hand when cutting thousands of cables.
Other suggestions maybe better, this one is fairly low cost and simple.

FELCO C12B

Probably cheaper than Teach Me's Swiss lathe.

Last edited:
We cut thousands of 304L rounds every year, sizes 1/8 - 1/2 on a sliding-block shear designed and built in-house by the boss. Its hydraulic, and controlled electrically, just set the stop, feed the rod and push the button. Its not a complicated design and for 1/8 material you could easily operate it by hand. Our dies are D2. You could make a manual version for nothing from your scrap pile if you have some good steel for the shear blocks.

I've done it on a surface grinder with a cutoff wheel. Wrap the bundle every 6" with fiberglass tape and cut the whole bundle at once.

Just called Loos to ask the price on the C12B. $420. and change, up from the $120 I paid back in the eighties. 3 1/2 times for inflation in 35 years. Oh, well. Still less than a Swiss lathe, if mounted on a 2 X 8 with a stop and guide, it can be put away when not in use. You will be tripping over the lathe.
The C16B would be a little heavier at $500+.

+2 for the diacro.. hell, anything diacro for that matter.

another recommendation; do you have a hossfeld? they make a rod parter 'shear' as well that would easily handle your .125, and imo it's a little easier to use than the diacro as the cut is easier to see.
probably doesn't produce as clean of a shear as the diacro unit but it's an accessory to an existing machine and doesn't eat up extra floor space when not in use.
call hossfeld directly with specific questions.. great guys to deal with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

any shearing is going to leave distortion.
if thats OK with you, then a Di-acro, or an ironworker, or a homemade shear will all work.

I have a round bar shear on my Geka ironworker, and it has a precision length stop with a contact switch.
Set the length, push the rod in, when it hits the stop, it shears.
Repeat, until your 12 foot round bar is gone.
If the ends get welded, its fine.
The length may vary slightly- unless you have a rod parter or shear with exactly the right size opening, and, even then, shear openings are oversize, and will not give you that perfect of accuracy.

But I find most of the time, I saw round bar stainless, even down to 3/32. Square, flat, round ends just are easier to fit up, and look better. Much more accurate and precise lengths that are all the same.

As with many things, "time saving" tricks often dont save time in the end.

But then, I have 4 bandsaws, and a cold saw, along with the shear...

I was gonna say how the guys at work do it in the shop. First you find somebody else's really sharp manual diacro sheet shear. Then you use that. After buggering up the knives in that then you scamper away into the darkness.

Back