What's new
What's new

How is a trailer torsion axle constructed- Can the width be changed?

Garwood

Diamond
Can a new Dexter 8K torsion axle be cut in half and welded back together like a standard spring axle?

Axles I'm looking at have a 3.5" or 4" square tube body.

I have not seen a bonded one, all I have seen is a sq. inner tube, and a sq. outer tube,
with (4) round rubber rods in the corners of the larger tube.

Last edited:
Like this?

I can buy a bunch of narrow ones surplus for real cheap. If there's nothing in the middle I am good to go.

Attachments

• torsion axle.jpg
    torsion axle.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 106
Can a new Dexter 8K torsion axle be cut in half and welded back together like a standard spring axle?

Axles I'm looking at have a 3.5" or 4" square tube body.

Several makers sell the end hardware. Tubes are cut to "whatever".

I THINK it is "usually" engineered to expect the full tube to be homogenous so it ALL flexes, not just part of it?

Also not sure if there's any gain to working with markdowns from fully burdened retail if you are equipped to fab directly from scratch.

The savings would be to he who can use them as-is and is NOT capable of either of alteration nor fab new.

You can cut them no problem. If they are cheap enough. 8 k torflex axles are pretty expensive if it is all there bakes and drums I’d say you are good to go
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What are you guys paying for a complete 8K torsion axle with electric brakes and oil hubs??

I'm looking at saving about $9500 by stretching these housings a foot.

The housing attaches to the trailer frame just inboard of the ends. The rotational forces are all between the stub axle and the frame mount. If there's nothing in the middle then stretching them a foot won't matter as long as castor is maintained. Or is there something I am missing?

They sell just the outer foot or so with lever and hub designed to be welded or bolted to the frame. So those type are designed with nothing in the middle at all.
Bill D

What are you guys paying for a complete 8K torsion axle with electric brakes and oil hubs??

I'm looking at saving about $9500 by stretching these housings a foot.

The housing attaches to the trailer frame just inboard of the ends. The rotational forces are all between the stub axle and the frame mount. If there's nothing in the middle then stretching them a foot won't matter as long as castor is maintained. Or is there something I am missing?

The only other thing to consider might be whether the axle should also be considered part of the frame structure. We know there is some frame flex and that the axle mounting points are rigidly attached to the frame. So, is the axle expected to stiffen the frame or is the axle-and-mounting expected to flex? I don't have any answers but it might be something a designer would think about.

If you take Bill D's solution and mount the ends independently, the frame takes all the strain. If it's a full axle the frame might be designed differently to include axle stiffness.

The only other thing to consider might be whether the axle should also be considered part of the frame structure. We know there is some frame flex and that the axle mounting points are rigidly attached to the frame. So, is the axle expected to stiffen the frame or is the axle-and-mounting expected to flex? I don't have any answers but it might be something a designer would think about.

If you take Bill D's solution and mount the ends independently, the frame takes all the strain. If it's a full axle the frame might be designed differently to include axle stiffness.

Reading the OE literature they state you can use the torsion body as a structural part of the trailer, as in extra support for the floor/deck.

There are many options for mounts, torsion angles and camber when you order these new.

It does appear the camber is in the housing, not in the stub axles. The axles I'm looking at appear to be flat, no camber. That would make it real easy for the fab work involved to stretch them.

Back