What's new
What's new

Coolant proof digital vernier

Peter Colman

Stainless
I have always used Mitutoyo coolant proof verniers but I do use plenty of straight coolant and find that it does get into the inside stopping them working. I then have to strip and clean out the vernier particularly the battery compartment.
I have also used the cheaper 'black' non coolant proof version which seems to be almost as good under my working conditions.
My questions are do others find the same leaking problems as I do, do you find the 'black' ones as good and is there an alternative make worth considering.

My Mitutoyo Absolute Coolant Proof caliper and micrometer are both over 7 years old, and I have never had an issue. Then again, I don't use them IN the machine as much as many of you do, and my "coolant" is straight oil, so I may be a weird use case.

I think if coolant is soluble water stops it from working, I gave up with digital verniers during machining two years ago, and use an old analogue one, if I need higher precision I use micrometers, again analogue and when for any reason I need to use anything digital I turn the coolant pump off, dry the part and make sure I don't put it down on the machine bed

There's got to be a more professional solution to this :D

Back