What's new
What's new

How to verify functionality of Newall scale?

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
Is anyone aware of how to verify that a Newall SHG-AG is actually functional or not, without having the ability to connect it to a display?

Have a Newall SHG-AG that appears to be a perfect size fit for an application I have. However, I do not have a display for the scale. Only the scale. I can purchase a display easily enough, but would like to make sure that the scale has not been sitting around for a reason that I cannot recall. ( such as it failing and me thinking it might be useful for parts, later. )

Thanks.

Hey W, from a brief look at the data sheet, it looks like this uses a 24-bit serial protocol. if you wanted to check basic output from the scale you could use a scope. Not sure if the display sends a "good to go" signal and if that signal is required before the read head will perform the self diagnostic and start outputting pulses. It may be worth it to check the read head by applying power and seeing if the unit will perform a diagnostic. Looks like there are some LEDs on the read head that give some indication of health.

Probably best to find a display to check it but if that's not a possibility, you could send it over and I'll take a look. Ill get it shipped back inside two days.

I do not see any LEDs. :confused:

I am willing to take you up on that, ( and appreciate the offer ) but am genuinely curious how one would check it, without having a scope and other similar instruments. Are scales like this just not easily verified for function by the lay person?

Newall1a.jpg

Newall2a.jpg

I bet if you call Newall they can either tell you or check it for you. They have been very helpful whenever I have called them.
Regards,
Michael

I'm not super familiar with those, but that connector looks to have too many pins to fit either of the two common Newall display connector types I've seen I found this sort of cryptic diagram a while back. I think they make some of their own scales that are compatible with other readouts, maybe that is what you have. BTW Depp of china (see alibaba) makes either knockoff Newall units or maybe they actually make them for Newall and then also send some them out the back door under their own brand, hopefully Newall knows.:

chrome_2019-11-16_07-30-59.jpg
Oh, just found this; http://www.newall.com/upload/product/documents/shg-ab and ag protocol.pdf

Without it being on a machine and having the display, you will probably need to get an RGA from Ryan at Newall and they can test it. Whether it is free or not, who knows.

Ryans number is 800-229-4376 ext 305

Jon

Back