What's new
What's new

how well would a sheet of 5052 mill finish hold up exposed to the elements long term?

powerglider

Stainless
Say I put a sheet of mill finish 5052 as a rough roofing solution to a dog house or chicken coop, how well would it age in terms of finish?

Location is SE Iowa with snow, rain and humidity levels all over the place, plus add bird poo.

I've had 6061 tubing in the barn that over time have developed a sort of whitish powdery coat on them, would 5052 untreated and mill finish pretty much end up the same after a few years (say 5 years +)?

Say I put a sheet of mill finish 5052 as a rough roofing solution to a dog house or chicken coop, how well would it age in terms of finish?

Location is SE Iowa with snow, rain and humidity levels all over the place, plus add bird poo.

I've had 6061 tubing in the barn that over time have developed a sort of whitish powdery coat on them, would 5052 untreated and mill finish pretty much end up the same after a few years (say 5 years +)?

When I worked for Kawasaki's snow machine division ('78-'82) or so, we made the tunnels out of 5052 because of it's formability and superior corrosion resistance.

Looking at the Jorgensen catalog, 5005, 5052, 5083, 5086 have the highest corrosion resistance listed for:

Non industrial Atmosphere, rated A,
Industrial atmosphere rated A
Marine atmosphere or salt water service rated A

No other listed alloys are A rated for all categories.

I have built racing snowmobiles out of 5052.

A good number of the commercial fishing boats up here, are at least substantially 5052. Most aren't painted, after construction they're etched with a product like Zep-A-Lume, and that's it.

The last one I worked on, a couple of years ago, had a tag stating it'd been built in 1963. Seems to be holding up well- and that, of course, is direct and continuous contact with salt water.

Doc.

Back