What's new
What's new

How That Works - or - Magnetically Actuated Gas Valve?

Ox

Diamond
I never think to ask - 'till now I guess....

The gas log set-up that we have at the house doesn't have any hydro, not even a batt (that I know of) and yet it has a switch connected to the valve via 2 warrs.

I have seen this other places over the years, and never have figgered it out yet.

The only thing that I can come up with is that maybe there is a magnet on one end, and the wires somehow transfer the magnetic current when you turn the switch on?

I don't now if that is possible, but that's all I come up with.
So - who knows?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It's called a powerpile thermocouple. If you look at it it is fatter than standard thermocouple and the pilot flame is larger also. Generates 750 mv current, enough to power the gas valve. Standard thermocouple is 30 mv.

Not the same

Thermopile - Wikipedia

Is that essentially how a solar panel werks then too?

Wiki shows solar as a different werd - Photovoltaic
Is that similar?

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Photo emmisive materials respond to electromagnetic radiation by releasing electrons.

Thermo-piles free up electrons at dissimilar metal junctions. Heat just increases the output.

A thermo-pile CAN use the energy of incident light when it is absorbed and converted to heat, but a photo emmisive material will not generate any emf just by heating. It takes LIGHT (or spectrum suitable radiation) There are MANY photo emmisive materials that are not silicon based "solar cells". PbS is one that is responsive in the Near Infra Red

Back