What's new
What's new

HSS Mill Tooling Suppliers

Winsten

Plastic
I realize there is a lot of room for subjective thoughts here, but who do you suggest for supplying simple, general purpose HSS or Cobalt mill tooling? Does it vary by tool type, i.e. endmill, shell mill, drill... Or even size...

I’m trying to avoid continuing to rely on EBay for my tooling, I’ve run into availability issues recently.

I’m starting a side thing while working at a production shop that doesn’t blink too much at imdividual tool cost.

I’m in Central Texas, but a national supplier with menu pricing would be nice. My primary metrics include lead time, price, quality (probably in that order). Local lead times are great, but having to request a quote and wait for response can really be a drag on my Limited time.

I deal with various materials and geometries, so I won’t be able to narrow down application. (Seems like aluminum and stainless will be popular for me)

I see McMaster and MSC offer a decent selection, but is there someone with a better price for good quality tools that I won’t have to wait months to get? Or am I looking for a unicorn.

Any details or advice appreciated.

Thanks

I suggest MSC, although it's not popular with alot of this crowd.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/02499283

1) Hard to beat availability, almost always at your door next day.
2) Big BIG selection, of almost anything, endmill, drills, c'sinks, hand tools, screws and bolts, reamers, etc etc
3) Not sure if someone would say $20 is too much for a 1/2" HSS endmill, but you almost always get a 10-20-30% "discount" from list price.

edit: appears to be several distribution centers in your state, so I would make a confident bet you would get most everything next day, unless it is something drop shipped.

Thanks for the feedback Mike, as I shop around I see people struggling to make any real difference in price to MSC anyway, but maybe I haven’t found the right supplier.

Are the list price discounts given through your browser, or do you email in to request more of a discount? I’m a small fish, after all...

There are only like 4-5 main companies that make most of the drills and endmills that all the major distributors carry. The pricing is all within 1-2% of each other.

Ebay does have good deals from time to time but they also sell lower quality counterfeit knockoffs. You need to be aware of this.

I have been using MSC since 1993. if I have to look for something for 2 hours it cost me 2 hours of lost production. I can call MSC and have someone walk in my door 24 hours later and hand me the tool needed. I will gladly pay the few extra dollars to not have my time wasted. Time = $$$

I still use ebay whenever I need something cheap and arent in a rush. It does have its pros and cons such as everything.

It seems like you have just about got to the point where your time is becoming more valuable than saving a few bucks. This is a good thing.

If you really "need" a tool just bill it to the job. Make sure it at least pays for itself.

I buy everything except food and clothes on line. There are many great industrial suppliers on line.
Trevers, Victor, WTtool. KBC, to name a few. I also use McMaster Carr a lot.

AJ Rod has a few locations scattered around Texas so you likely could get most items from them fairly quickly, however they are pretty old school with how you order so you'll be stuck waiting on quotes. They beat out MSC on certain items and are pretty helpful in finding things.

It seems like you have just about got to the point where your time is becoming more valuable than saving a few bucks. This is a good thing.

With a day job still and a toddler running around it didn’t take me long to get there. My wife (Soon to be purchasing manager?) is really supporting the endeavor too with all the uncertainty around. I think I’ll hit EBay for 15-30 minutes if I need something and then go to MSC, McMaster, or try some of these new names suggested.

Great info y’all, thanks, I hadn’t heard of some of these places.

1961 termite! You really advanced from your 1959 bull shit story about the 50" Niles lathe threading making spring cuts!
Come on termite, your trying to gain credibility by lying about things over 50yrs just doesnt work, you are a fake, you were not a machinist on the Mayflower....

1961 termite! You really advanced from your 1959 bull shit story about the 50" Niles lathe threading making spring cuts!
Come on termite, your trying to gain credibility by lying about things over 50yrs just doesnt work, you are a fake, you were not a machinist on the Mayflower....

FUCKING STAAHHP!!!!! :angry:

Thanks for the feedback Mike, as I shop around I see people struggling to make any real difference in price to MSC anyway, but maybe I haven’t found the right supplier.

Are the list price discounts given through your browser, or do you email in to request more of a discount? I’m a small fish, after all...

I am not 100% sure, I was just told that we don't pay the price I see when I am searching an item. We aren't a big company, but we buy almost all our tooling from MSC, so that might be a factor.

It is my understanding that with an MSC account the magic number for substantial discounts is a commitment to buy $10K a year. Just setting up an account through the login thing pretty much just makes your price automatically what it would be if you entered the coupon codes.

It is my understanding that with an MSC account the magic number for substantial discounts is a commitment to buy $10K a year. Just setting up an account through the login thing pretty much just makes your price automatically what it would be if you entered the coupon codes.

Good intel hardplates.

I feel like donie bombing thermite in one of my posts means I’m part of the family...

What a beautiful day.

Good intel hardplates.

I feel like donie bombing thermite in one of my posts means I’m part of the family...

What a beautiful day.

LOL! Indeed, it is, here in Virginia!

Elected to assemble a pair of Franklin "library ladder chairs" outdoors on the South porch instead of indoors. Nicely made. Northern Tool. But Malaysia, and real wood... not "China".

Mind, I'm awaiting delivery of 90 sheets of 4' X 8' G-P 15/32 Plytanium to clad the roof anyway.

:D

LOL! Indeed, it is, here in Virginia!

Elected to assemble a pair of Franklin "library ladder chairs" outdoors on the South porch instead of indoors. Nicely made. Northern Tool. But Malaysia, and real wood... not "China".

Mind, I'm awaiting delivery of 90 sheets of 4' X 8' G-P 15/32 Plytanium to clad the roof anyway.

:D

Off topic, but I’ve gotta redo my roof soon too (just shingles). It’s real steep though, and I’m afraid of heights hah

Off topic, but I’ve gotta redo my roof soon too (just shingles). It’s real steep though, and I’m afraid of heights hah

Climate change has obsoleted asphalt shingles. Northern Virginia seeing 97 MPH wind gusts and not even a "real storm?"

It won't be getting "better". Severe weather will only get worse.

42 squares of Reinke Shakes - proven @ 170 MPH-PLUS ...over a 31/32 deck and I should be good until I no longer care...

The only gnarly part is the tie-down cable to the machine-tools, lower ground floor-minus 7 1/2".... so the whole roof deck doesn't lift-off!

Wonder if they will be renting-out Cheyenne Mountain for condos after Beijing Joe subs-out the entire DoD to China?

:(

Winston,

You have Rex Supply out of Houston, they used to have stores in Austin and San Antonio, if you're interested.
Out of Houston, you have C W Rod, if they still go by that name, that will ship overnight to you and a couple of other places in Houston, too.
Nothing against MSC or Zoro or McMaster.

Ken

Back