What's new
What's new

Huge Rockwell abrasive cutoff saw - questions

ironhoarder

Cast Iron
I acquired this enormous abrasive cutoff saw from a machine shop several years ago. It has been loitering in my shop area surrounded by clutter until today! I have a project requiring cutting many sections of steel pipe, and I figured it was time to run 3phase from my RPC over to this machine.

I've only made a couple cuts with it so far- and it is pretty amazing how powerful and smooth it is! I'm used to a 14" benchtop Milwaukee cutoff saw, which would slow down and complain if you asked very much of it. I don't think I could slow down this 5hp motor on a bet!

The blade runs on a pulley driven arbor, and the geometry of the saw lets you still use the blade until it is quite small. It is very nicely balanced and controlled by a nice long handle. As I mentioned, it has a massive 5hp 3 phase Rockwell motor. I assume the whole saw is made by Rockwell. Here is a video of essentially the same saw:

YouTube

My question relates to the fence and hold-down system on mine. First, notice the notches cut away in the fence. I guess this was for some cutom job?

Mine came with the two mysterious steel blocks that you can see in the pics. I've not yet figured out their utility. Somebody made up a hold-down clamp system with some all-thread and a handle- I need to attach a piece of angle iron to it, I reckon.

I'm also puzzled why they installed the sheet metal across the front.

metal_cutoff_saw_clamp.jpgmetal_cutoff_saw_leftside.jpg2019-11-18-15.27.01.jpg

I can't help with your specific questions but I have 9 large abrasive cut-off wheels you are welcome to. They are 14" x 1 1/2" x about .080" thick. Came with a very robust cut-off saw from a metallurgical lab. This saw was powered by a 5 hp motor and had a mounting arm and operating handle very similar to your Rockwell.

Yours for the cost of shipping. Pics here: Buehler abrasive cut-off wheels FS or trade

I had one the same size with a V-Block to hold the work and it had an adjustable chain hold down with a foot pedal you stepped on to tighten it. Very simple and fast to use. It looks to me like your saw is set up to cope angle iron with those blocks.

I can't help with your specific questions but I have 9 large abrasive cut-off wheels you are welcome to. They are 14" x 1 1/2" x about .080" thick. Came with a very robust cut-off saw from a metallurgical lab. This saw was powered by a 5 hp motor and had a mounting arm and operating handle very similar to your Rockwell.

Yours for the cost of shipping. Pics here: Buehler abrasive cut-off wheels FS or trade

That is very generous of you- but my saw takes 12" x 1" wheels, alas.

Jim, I'd be interested in your wheels. PM sent

I have one of those I haven't used yet. I've considered regearing the v-belt drive or installing a vfd and using a metalcutting saw blade. There was a quick acting clamp made for them that uses a cam and arm to clamp the stock being cut, it bolted onto the table, you might stumble onto one or a pair of them.

Back