What's new
What's new

hwacheon, WHACHEON, Hawcheon.... wtf... all the same?

bikebuilder

Stainless
Are Hwacheon, Whacheon, Hawcheon all the same company? There are machines listed all 3 ways on the web, and sometimes on the same site.

Starting with written Chinese and converting the sound to Roman letters is always an approximation and can be done in different ways with different results. To complicate further, there are many dialects of Chinese, so that the same written character is pronounced differently in different parts of the country. Chinese movies and TV have Chinese subtitles to augment the spoken dialog.

For many years, the capitol of China was called Peking in English-speaking countries. I think very old maps called it Pekin. Then the Chinese government decided to take control of the spelling of their own city and now it is known as Beijing. You can see the similarity, but the Chinese are a better authority on pronouncing their own names and it is a rather political thing to them. Beijing means Northern Capitol in English and there was, of course, a Southern Capital that the Brits called Nanking, but is now Nanjing.

Larry

All that stuff about China is true, but Whacheon is Korean.
Same problem though, translating between characters and roman letters.

CalG said:
Now if someone could just tell me what the word "wu" means........ ;-)
Which tone ? Better yet, which character ?

The most common wu (五) would be 'five'. That's the China one, if you want Korea maybe ask TMP.

"Same problem though, translating between characters and roman letters."

Agreed. But I hate to see anyone tarred with the China brush if it's not applicable.

I emailed Whacheon ([email protected]) and here’s their response:

Ralph: We are Whacheon USA located in CA. selling the Hwacheon /Whacheon lathes for the last 35 years. Hwacheon America sells the Hwacheon CNC lathes out of ILL. Should you have any questions please call
1 800 524 9227. We have everything related to the standard lathes.

Good machines you can make money with, get the machine, make money, figure out how to spell it later.
Machines under the Cadillac brand are not too shabby either! Just a comment from an actual driver!

I am using Axelsons, and Americans to slug out the heavy stuff now, but in an earlier time I was most productive on the Korean Mori type manual lathes, I think they were 17" or so 71\2 or 10 hp, no clutch,
The machines can be manipulated shifting\changing speeds, feeds quickly, making using for profit a strong consideration.

"Same problem though, translating between characters and roman letters."

Agreed. But I hate to see anyone tarred with the China brush if it's not applicable.

Oh, "applicable" is a comfortable fit! Just not the same sort of fit as Goans using Portuguese!

It's buried in history. Rather a LOT of it.. but .. the "recent" character set we call "Chinese" - just under 60,000 symbols, each built from a core selection of. 26 is it? "radicals" as WE call them... (sorry.. nearly all my books are in Hong Kong..) were developed not-quite from scratch by one of the conquerors of ancient China to make THEIR task of administering a dog's breakfast of languages and dialects easier.

Even "modern" China has recognized OVER 150 official dialects ... for only around fifty recognized ethnicities. Three per each, on average?

Not many folks speak "putonghua" (mandarin) in their daily lives.

So...

The written characters do not actually "own" ANY sound at all.
They are not a "phonetic" language device.

Pure information symbols, rather.

No more sound of their own than internationalized road, machinery, and safety-warning symbols, Baudot, BCDIC, nor ASCII have any specific per-code-element "pronounciation".

Oddly, this makes it EASIER, not harder, for multiple cultures to put them to use.

Even MORE oddly? Because each has a SPECIFIC and unvarying "stroke count" and "stroke order", that is more important than SHAPE?

A computer input "tablet" device can recognize them faster, more accurately, and with lower error rate than any "western" coding save machine-printed OCR or MICR.

But ... can do so BY hand motion - waved in the air! ABOVE a surface! or finger-stroked on a hand-held "tablet' device... Tried that with OCR?

Stunning?

Well.. we once thought their language alone would prevent them ever catching up with Western computer users.

The reverse turned out to be the case!

Because..

SPOKEN Mandarin is also recognized, and "speaker independently" by computers with lower error and at higher speed ... than any "Western" language. It is the "tonal" basis.

It is as if the inventors had been aliens or time-travelers, expecting the arrival of computers, and planned ahead for that.

Korean? Major character of my "assigned" Chinese name:

Y'see the "Han" in Han Chinese or "black haired people"? The watershed of a river they call their ancient origin. And it is IN modern-day... South Korea.

"Eastern Han" smirk?

Korea was never part of China.

China was part of Korea!

Modern Korean, BTW, has a whole NEW set of characters of its own, and only around a hundred years since introduced. We see those... a LOT.. on signage for.. Churches! Christian ones, usually.

And those ARE a phonetic language device!

Simple situation after all... right?

Around $3,000 worth of spend on books and tapes. Then 2 years of evening study at HKG U back of it "simple". Then there was the travel...

And then? Something so simple every small child in China learns so easily?

I gave up trying to learn to speak or read very much of it beyond taxi directions and ordering food.

Y'see ... I ..... had started too late in life to give enough of a damn!

Typical "expat"

Say it again in English.

LOUDER!

:D

Meanwhile, small-d-the-drama-queen has finally found a job doing something (s)he can actually fondle.

Taken up virtual ************************ on the internet as a career.

Should be along shortly.

Last edited:
I emailed Whacheon ([email protected]) and here’s their response:

Ralph: We are Whacheon USA located in CA. selling the Hwacheon /Whacheon lathes for the last 35 years. Hwacheon America sells the Hwacheon CNC lathes out of ILL. Should you have any questions please call
1 800 524 9227. We have everything related to the standard lathes.

Its actually 'Hawcheon' selling the lathes out of Illinois lol.

I got it ! no one intends to actually use one of these machines! "its amateur talk therapy", so ,as one does not have to get dirty, and maybe get cut or burned......

Last I checked this was a machinists forum. If someone is looking to buy one of these machines (I am), or get parts, it helps to know the name, how to spell it etc. Feel free not to post/read and head out to your shop and get dirty. Or just keep bitching....

So looking at a 36”x160 whacheon with 25” and 32” chuck… 6” spindle
Rear chuck and taper attachment. Looking for people that have exp with whacheon. It appears they make a solid quality product. They seem to be about 25% more than other brands but I am ok with that if the quality is there.

Thoughts…exp? Other brands you would get instead. I

It appears they make a solid quality product.
This is sort of a modern, uninformed thing that, to be honest, is kind of annoying.

"Quality" in a machine tool depends on what you are doing with it and what your goals are. Any of the brand names will take a cut - and plenty of the unknowns, too. What matters ? Is it price, because what the machine will do is going to ruin it, so you need a new one every five years ? Is it accuracy, because what you make is going to the moon ? Is it fast changeovers, because you make a lot of different parts in batches of one ? Is it heft, because you are turning giant inconel forgings and need to take humongous cuts ?

All those features are different. Questions like "Is this a quality machine ?" are pointless. They don't ask the relevant questions.

Back