What's new
What's new

Hydraulic anchor winch on boat

Angler2184

Plastic
Hey i have recently installed a hydraulic anchor winch on our boat. I am having issues with the electric motor drawing too many amps when running. Here is the setup I have.

5hp single phase 240v 1750rpm to a 9gpm @ 1200rpm pump. This goes up to the anchor hauler which has a 23cu in hydraulic motor on it.

I have a cross directional control valve that I use, it seems that if i only turn the handle half way it doesnt load the electric motor too bad. Full throttle spins the hauler too fast and overloads the electric motor.

Im guessing the 9gpm is too big for the 5hp 240v motor, so my question is can I add a flow control valve to drop the flow? Will this decrease the load on the electric motor? Thanks

I don't think the system is designed correctly, improper match between the pump and the hydraulic motor.

When you are putting the valve into full flow to the anchor winch, all of the flow of the pump is going through the hydraulic motor.

If the hydraulic motor is actually 23 cubic inches and the pump is 9gpm, the hydraulic motor should rotate at 90 rpm without slippage. The way you are describing this, something is not as you explained it.

The 5hp motor to the pump seems like a lot if it is a standard pressure system at 2500psi or there about.

I suspect that you have a gear pump with the system connected to a standard open center valve. This application is probably more suited for a closed center system with a variable displacement vane pump.

You need to tell us pressure required to lift the anchor. 1 gallon/minute at 1717 psi requires 1 horsepower. So the system you have is only good to about 800 psi.

Hey i have recently installed a hydraulic anchor winch on our boat. I am having issues with the electric motor drawing too many amps when running. Here is the setup I have.

5hp single phase 240v 1750rpm to a 9gpm @ 1200rpm pump. This goes up to the anchor hauler which has a 23cu in hydraulic motor on it.

I have a cross directional control valve that I use, it seems that if i only turn the handle half way it doesnt load the electric motor too bad. Full throttle spins the hauler too fast and overloads the electric motor.

Im guessing the 9gpm is too big for the 5hp 240v motor, so my question is can I add a flow control valve to drop the flow? Will this decrease the load on the electric motor? Thanks

To answer the first question, my first thought is you are running the motor at reduced voltage due to bad connections, too small wire run, bad connections in (controller/switch).

You are pumping 13gpm to the Hyd motor, that is turning at 130 rpm. With 5hp your pressure at 500 psi is all the electric motor can handle. You need either a larger motor, gear down the pump to turn slower for less volume, gear down the motor to increase the torgue output, increase the motor volume to increase the torque.

You really should figure the power needed to break out the anchor, and work backwards.

For me a 5hp electric motor is all thats need to lift an anchor, so starting there. install a smaller pump, of 4gpm, this could put out 12-1400 psi, and 40rpm at the hyd motor. with triple the torque.

You are pumping 13gpm to the Hyd motor, that is turning at 130 rpm. With 5hp your pressure at 500 psi is all the electric motor can handle. You need either a larger motor, gear down the pump to turn slower for less volume, gear down the motor to increase the torgue output, increase the motor volume to increase the torque.

You really should figure the power needed to break out the anchor, and work backwards.

For me a 5hp electric motor is all thats need to lift an anchor, so starting there. install a smaller pump, of 4gpm, this could put out 12-1400 psi, and 40rpm at the hyd motor. with triple the torque.
Yup, what Tom said (with Maths)

When fixed, you should be able to have the valve full open to the winch, the winch stalled,
and the relief blowing back to tank, and not exceed the motors rated amperage.

Good day everyone,
To be honest it is quite interesting situation but it is also very banal, I also have a friend that has the engine weaker than the rest of the system and it can end too bad because even if you have a flow control valve, it cannot always work. So the best solution is to change the engine and you will never have problems anymore. It will work better, go faster and you will be calm about your boat. We always use stronger engines for boats from our spam winching solutions company in order to be sure that everything is going to be alright.

I love it when spammers can't even compose an intelligible sentence.
Just throwing buzz words together for google rankings.

Back