What's new
What's new

Hydraulic bandsaw has choppy feed rate

Azoth

Aluminum
I forgot to check at work, but I believe this is the bandsaw we have. (link to .pdf brochure)

Here is a short vid of the problem in action. (link to youtube)

--

Description of problem:

As the head is feeding down, the down force gauge repeatedly shows loss of pressure and the head free-falls a short distance before it catches itself, builds pressure back up to 180-210 psi, and loses pressure again.

If I keep the feed rate at around 1/8" per minute the down force gauge stays around 170 psi and does not lose pressure, but it takes 10 minutes to cut a 1-1/2" bar. If I turn the feed rate up it cuts faster, but the choppy feed rate eventually causes broken teeth and the blade pops off.

When not cutting, I can bypass the feed rate needle valve with a lever that drop the head. If I am light or heavy on the lever, the choppiness does not present (light = force gauge 0-150 psi, heavy = force gauge 300-400 psi, 400 is fully open). But it is still choppy if the lever is held half way. This tells me it's not just trash in the feed valve.

I think it could be the relief valve down at the hydraulic manifold, or air in the system, or a leak (somewhere downstream in the system or around the piston itself that is only noticeable because it's self-sealing at certain pressures causing the choppiness).

--

Has anyone had this specific problem and know a likely cause and solution?

Back