What's new
What's new

hydraulic cylinder rebuild help

idacal

Hot Rolled
I destroyed a barrel and rod late last week on a piece of equipment and Im trying to get it back together again for monday. I was able to get new barrel material and new rod material and got the rod built. but Im having issues finding the tolerances for the piston to barrel, and the threaded in gland to barrel tolerance. the gland has about a 1/2" length then an o ring groove another 1/2" then the threads start. im trying to reuse the gland and piston but the piston may be destroyed its a 5" cylinder with a 3" rod 56" long. 2200 psi. it looks like the piston sealing was a white nylon? ring with 2 3/4" wear rings beside it.
also is there any books that help figuring tolerances on this kind of stuff? I have searched online but nothing makes sense

Hercules Sealing Products has a lot of stuff like this. Piston to barrel clearance is typically .005", same with the head.

Ed.

thank you for that site, that had all the numbers I needed. and they were understandable. its an outrigger cylinder on a drill rig. a built in pilot valve lost a part and a piece of metal got in there and hammered the crap out of everything. we didn't know anything was wrong (just fixed the valve) until oil started leaking out by then the barrel and rod were shot

Reminds me of a ford pickup for sale last week on c-list. fairly low mileage, looked good, good price but not a screaming deal. Only problem listed was they had broken off a spark plug inside the cylinder and now the engine knocked. They said you would have to pull the cylinder head to fish it out.
I suppose if they had not started it up it might be okay. But I bet the cylinder walls are scored beyond repair and it needs at least one new piston and an exhaust valve.
Bill D.

Back