What's new
What's new

hydrofluoric acid

Adam Daake

Aluminum
I am on light duty at work, so they were having me do chemical inventory. I found a gallon jug with no label on. With hydrofluoric acid written on it with marker. With another gallon behind it with just acid written on it. On our inventory sheet it was listed as hydrochloric.

One of my coworkers thought it might have came from drum in our storage shed. I checked the drum label was unreadable but made out masonry cleaner.

Hydrofluoric acid is very dangerous. I notified my boss he asked me to figure out how to dispose of it properly.

Was hydrofluoric acid ever used as a masonry cleaner? How do I get rid of this stuff. I read you can nuttralise it with lime but it didn't go in to the procedure. I will probably fine a company to come in and dispose of it. I don't fell comfortable handling this stuff.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hydrofluoric acid is about as bad as it gets in acids. I have used small amounts of HF in metal etchants. The training for those etchants is design to give you a deep respect for how important your PPE is and how dangerous HF can be. Spill concentrated HF acid on yourself and you very well will need medical attention to inject neutralizer under your skin to stop the dissolution of your bones. There are special spill kits just for HF. Your gallon jug should be stored in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid until you can get rid of it.

Hydroflouric is amazing for cleaning aluminum.

It will make shitty old aluminum wheels look like new with no work at all.

I work for a state facility doing maintenance. I was shocked to find it. One guy said its been in the cabinet scene he started 15 years ago. I would not be surprised if it from the 60s or 70s. I have been told we never got ride anything until recently.

I am on light duty at work, so they were having me do chemical inventory. I found a gallon jug with no label on. With hydrofluoric acid written on it with marker. With another gallon behind it with just acid written on it. On our inventory sheet it was listed as hydrochloric.

One of my coworkers thought it might have came from drum in our storage shed. I checked the drum label was unreadable but made out masonry cleaner.

Hydrofluoric acid is very dangerous. I notified my boss he asked me to figure out how to dispose of it properly.

Was hydrofluoric acid ever used as a masonry cleaner? How do I get rid of this stuff. I read you can nuttralise it with lime but it didn't go in to the procedure. I will probably fine a company to come in and dispose of it. I don't fell comfortable handling this stuff.
Thanks

MSDS http://www.sc.edu/ehs/HF/HF MSDS Honeywell.pdf

Paul

The list of rule violations in your case is long and distinguished.
improper labeling and storage just for starters.
EPA would have a fun time usually with fines involved.
oh the paper work.
it's the mystery stuff that will bite you on the ass.

proper disposal isn't exactly cheap either

My boss is a good guy and very supportive. Once I brought this to his attention. He very concerned and ask me dispose of it properly.

I would call in a certified hazardous material disposal company and have them identify and dispose of all the unknown and hazardous material. Much safer for you and if you get caught trying to dispose of it, stiff fines.

Tom

I would call in a certified hazardous material disposal company and have them identify and dispose of all the unknown and hazardous material. Much safer for you and if you get caught trying to dispose of it, stiff fines.

Tom
That was my plan tomorrow.

As I recall from high school chemistry class 60 years ago, hydrofluoric acid was kept in wax containers since it is used to etch glass.

Bob
WB8NQW

Same here. I think the vapor is dangerous. If the liquid is in a glass container, it is not HF.

HCl is also called muriatic acid and is used for cleaning masonry and will also remove rust and dissolve steel. It has a poisonous and corrosive vapor, but is fairly safe if kept in a closed plastic container with a plastic cap. I used to buy it in the hardware department of a local store, but have not looked for any lately.

Larry

I think the container has a service life for HF acid as in replace container every five years before it eats a hole and spills.
If it is a glass jug it may not be HF or picking it up may shatter/powder the bottle and spill it all over you!
Bill D.
PS: I would rather be around Uranium then HF. And I mean the real stuff not the depleted waste.

HF is the scariest thing I've ever had to work around.
Call in the fire department, they will know who to call.

FYI Uranium is meh.

I just remembered, I was looking at a job where they kept tons of anhydrous HF for feed stock.

DO NOT GET IT ON YOUR SKIN!
YOU WILL NOT FEEL IT UNTIL IT HITS THE BONE AND STARTS TO REACT WITH THE CALCIUM!

I used to work with this crap, its very widely used to etch the top oxide layer from silicon wafers and other silicon chemistry in the semiconductor industry.

Good news, I suppose , is that its hard to die from it. But what it will do is, go through your skin and attack your bones and ligaments. There is a special stick of stuff they rub on you if you get exposed but it needs to be done very quickly. You won't feel it if it if you get exposed until later.
Getting it in the eye balls is very very bad.

If its a very small amount (like a vial, not a drum)
You can dilute it with a lot of water to make it much safer and dump that down the drain after you neutralize it with PH (caustic soda or some other PH raising stuff).

BE VERY CAREFUL!

Back