What's new
What's new

I am lookiing for a SPIRAL POINT 1/8 STRAIGHT pipe tap

edwin dirnbeck

Hot Rolled
I cant find one. I am curently useing a stupid 4 flute HAND tap. I am tapping tuf stuf full depth . I was almost breaking taps. I converted the tap into a SPIRAL POIINT tap useing a high speed pencil grinder and a 5/32 straight diamond grinding point. This cuts the job like butter. I have many parts to do and I dont want to waste my time making taps.Since 1960 every toolroom that I have worked in ONLY uses spiral point taps.I just dont no why HAND taps are still produced and who buys them. Rant over please help .Edwin Dirnbeck

Gun taps are for through holes and generate less cutting pressure but push swarf ahead of the tap
Making them less desirable for blind holes. Spiral work good in blind holes but generate more cutting pressure. For small threads in certain materials you can't beat fluteless or thread forming taps.

I have some Walter ones but they are BSP rather than national.

Google seems to say they do what you want but the link didn't seem to work.

Please try gun taps on blind holes

Gun taps are for through holes and generate less cutting pressure but push swarf ahead of the tap
Making them less desirable for blind holes. Spiral work good in blind holes but generate more cutting pressure. For small threads in certain materials you can't beat fluteless or thread forming taps.

I certainly dont like to argue, but most toolrooms use gun taps in blind holes. Drill your tap drill hole deeper and the chips have a place to go. If you cant drill deeper , just tap half way or so and back out clear chips and repeat. I machine mostly tool steel and the common 4 flute HAND taps are a disaster waiting to happen ,especially in a part that has thousands of dollars in material and machining in it. Try it you will be sold. I HAVE TRIED THREAD FORMING TAPS a few times and I would really really like to use them ,but I never have had good results.I think that I will start a new thread about thread forming.Thanks for the Reply. Edwin Dirnbeck

I've used thread forming taps a lot and I highly recommend them. No pecking and no swarf. Thread is stronger in theory but doesn't look as nice. I use through coolant taps with the matching size drill and have had nothing but success. Obviously the drill size is bigger than a traditional cutting tap.

Back