What's new
What's new

I am unsure what job to take. Advice & Critical Feedback wanted

georgee1

Aluminum
Okay, so I've been unemployed for about 8 months. During this time I've accomplished nothing. I spent 4 months living off the money I've saved. and the other 4 months off my 401k savings. And an overextended amount of time figuring out what I want to do, and stick to.

Now I want nothing more to get back into the work force. and attempt to get into a machinist apprenticeship. I've found lots of apprenticeship postings online. I've applied to about 6 and have heard nothing back. I even applied twice to the same apprenticeship, because the job posting expired.

The job I got let go of was a CNC operator machine for a Japanese company called NTN Bearing Co. It was the perfect job for a go-getter. An example was my supervisor starting off as an operator and excelling at the tasks given to him, and even trying to do other people's job. Starting at 12 an hr he was able to rack enough raises to hit around 17-18 an hour in under 2yrs. The company's benefits were great, good insurance, decent pay, good coworkers. But the work just was not attractive to me. They simplified the work so easily for the button-pushers that absolutely no thinking was involved. Spending a year at the company made me forget why I got into manufacturing in the first place. and it was to use your hands, your keen-eye, your ears, your brain for task solving.

I was offered 1 apprenticeship in the past (a year prior to graduating highschool, I am 21 now), I turned the opportunity down because I did not wish to waste the company's time or myself. at the time I wasn't able to decide if that was something I wanted to devote up to 4 years to. Now I think it's the only thing that interests me in a career.

So after months and months of lack of employment. I decided to lower my standards and start sending my resume back to CNC operating positions. My hand was twisted on this, because I've spent too much time stagnant. I heard back from a job listing for a 15-20$ dollar operating job, I'm shooting for 16-17$ from this job. It has the benefits and the vacation time. It is a 3rd shift job, a shift I never tried before. But with my recent standards, I'm willing to give it a shot, even though I want a first shift job.

However, I also sent my resume to a Manual Machinist opening, about 5-8 minutes from my home. The pay is 14-16$ They have the experience and machines that I've been looking for. Sure it's not an apprenticeship, but they have manual mills and lathes. and even a CNC department. Now when I look at this from a career perspective. It's the absolute perfect opportunity, I can gain even more experience on Manual Machining... to eventually be a better candidate for an apprenticeship. But the only downside to this offer is, the lack of benefits and slightly lower pay. it's a small shop, they mentioned they don't have benefits at this time i.e. insurance, 401k; somewhat implying that they'd get it. I'm not gonna hold their promise to their necks because I've been apart of a small machine shop before. and it takes awhile for things to start rolling in small shops. atleast in my experience.

NOW I should have mentioned at the beginning of the post that I'm merely at the interview stage of these jobs. But I do want to get an idea of gauging out what I should look for at these jobs. I would much rather be prepared than to be blindly taking anything that's offered to me.

I'm at fork in the road, trying to decipher what I want in a job long-term. I discussed it with my parents for advice but they just aren't too educated on manufacturing industry. So I decided to post here for guidance. My goals are to work and pay for school, while also gaining work experience. Which is why I'd really like to take the machinist job. But, i'm unsure how big of a deal it is to have a job with company insurance vs a job where you have to get your own health insurance. Like I stated, I haven't interviewed with them. But I would have to assume that the CNC operating position might have a college reimbursement program, where as the machinist job is small and probably couldn't afford to do so due to the lack of benefits.

Sorry for the really long post gentlemen, but I'm just a dumb-kid trying to get back out there. Looking for positive and negative feedback and advice.

Here is my resume: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet granted it's not my revised resume. but it's the closest I can supply at the moment.

Thanks,

george

You're staring too hard at your navel regarding pay. Is there really any difference between $15 and $16 an hour? If you start at $15 and are worth a shit they'll raise you up soon enough anyway.

You're making some shitty decisions...your thought process is kinda screwy. I can't tell if got let go of your job, or if you quit cuz it was boring, or if you just started doing a bad job so they fired you. In any case...it's NEVER smart to screw off your existing job until you have a new one.

You blew through your savings AND your 401K just so you could mull your future for 8 months? Incredibly poor decision making.

You'd be far better off being a more-stupid Mexican who snuck into this country and is more than glad to push buttons for a living. Cuz that guy is probably doing your old job now and paying his bills.

If you're serious about being a 'machinist' as a career, never let a day go by that you are not running machines. Or pushing a broom around them. Being a machinist is a lot of things but sitting on your ass 8 months ain't one of 'em

George,

A couple of thoughts - not advice, since you will need to weigh your own needs and priorities, but hopefully this will help jog your own thinking along:

1) What are the long-term prospects of either job? Is there are REALISTIC path to grow in experience and pay, or will it only allow years of rinse-and-repeat?

2) At 21, presumably in good health, how much will insurance cost you? Would you be eligible to participate in a subsidized health plan?

3) Are you disciplined enough to set aside the maximum contribution to an IRA (in lieu of a company-sponsored 401K)? If so, you might weight the pros and cons of a Roth IRA vs. a traditional IRA.

On edit: GregSY's post came in while I was typing. Looks like he made some different assumptions than I did about the context - always hard to tell from an internet post. In any case, let me add a #4 to my list of thoughts:

4) You will get a range of answers here, ranging from the harsh to the mild. I encourage you to sift through them carefully - give consideration to the points someone like Greg is making, honestly looking to see if there is a truth there you need to recognize. But at the same time, take ALL the responses (including this one) with a grain of salt - only you know your specific circumstances, personality, etc. It may be tempting to respond to critical posts with equal harshness, but humor, humility, and self-understanding will gain far more respect from the majority of folks. (Okay, that's enough of my old-enough-to-be-your-father comments!)

You're staring too hard at your navel regarding pay. Is there really any difference between $15 and $16 an hour? If you start at $15 and are worth a shit they'll raise you up soon enough anyway.

You're making some shitty decisions...your thought process is kinda screwy. I can't tell if got let go of your job, or if you quit cuz it was boring, or if you just started doing a bad job so they fired you. In any case...it's NEVER smart to screw off your existing job until you have a new one.

You blew through your savings AND your 401K just so you could mull your future for 8 months? Incredibly poor decision making.

You'd be far better off being a more-stupid Mexican who snuck into this country and is more than glad to push buttons for a living. Cuz that guy is probably doing your old job now and paying his bills.

If you're serious about being a 'machinist' as a career, never let a day go by that you are not running machines. Or pushing a broom around them. Being a machinist is a lot of things but sitting on your ass 8 months ain't one of 'em
You strike me as the type to read an entire book and just talk about how boring chapter 1 was. I expected responses like this , but I did not expect lack of useful information.

Now please rebuttal contextual information and stray away from the average pissed off, you should be lucky to be here response.

I love using manual machines, over operating because it's hands on. My previous job was lack of that. The turn over rate is so high. Your average new employee will quit the first or second week. I can come up with a hundred reasons why I left. But that's irrelevant. I've pushed a broom before also. If there's no work I'll find something. Sure bang on my past mistakes. But I aint no crowd pleaser. I mentioned them like a badge of honor, because I learn from them.

I can come up with a hundred reasons why I left. But that's irrelevant. I've pushed a broom before also. If there's no work I'll find something. Sure bang on my past mistakes. But I aint no crowd pleaser. I mentioned them like a badge of honor, because I learn from them.

So being a bum living off your savings and having no desire to even look for a job for 6 months is a badge of honor? News to me.

Apprenticeships and manual machining are falling to the wayside, but if you're happy making sub par wages the rest of your life, stick to manual machines.
Learn how to program a cnc machine,but first learn how to run one.
Sitting on your ass for 8 months eating up your 401k and savings? I can't even comment on how stupid that is at your age.

Nobody gets to play with the big machines (or do the fun work) until they can do the shitty mindless push the button and deburr crap over and over again stuff. You shoulda kept your old job or at least had a back up. If you wanna work in the greatest trade of all time (Tool and Die Maker/Machinist) you gotta start thinking like one of us. Either prospective job I would take even if it turns out to suck stick with it and learn from the cranky ass old guys who've forgotten more than you've ever known. At the end of the day being a button pusher for a couple years might be a drag but when you work hard keep your head down and ears open you'll get somewhere. Now get off your computer and get your ass back to work I'll do the same.

I love using manual machines, over operating because it's hands on.

If that's what you love doing, than go do it. I wouldn't worry much about the pay rate at your age. Find the best shop with the best opportunities to learn and work there. Out work the other people there and the pay will come.

And quit being a loser dip shit. Why waste your life fuck tarding around when you could go do cool shit and get ahead?

You strike me as the type to read an entire book and just talk about how boring chapter 1 was. I expected responses like this , but I did not expect lack of useful information.

Now please rebuttal contextual information and stray away from the average pissed off, you should be lucky to be here response.

Useful information? Marry a rich woman!

Getting off to a good start dip shit....

Brent

Good information from some of you guys. Others none oh well. Lol I got what I asked for after responding to greg. But I just don't walk around town calling someone a dipshit because Ive never lacked respect for human being I've never met. So I wouldn't pretend I do on the internet.

I was working with my father installing floors part time as his racker and saw cutter, during this entire time. I could have mentioned that but that's irrelevant. Next critic...

No, its absolutely not irrelevant. Working for cash under the radar shows you will skirt a few rules, but at least you did have some income.

If you expected warm, fuzzy replies you have a reading comprehension problem.

Anyone hiring an apprentice wants someone who is dedicated, thinks ahead, and will put up with the boring along with the good. You have failed those tests. Take a job, any job, and keep it for a year or two. Then you can look for the job you want while working. People with existing jobs are hired much faster than the unemployed.

Elgin is full of Hispanics who don't have much problem sticking with a boring job. They are your competition. You have to be better than the competition to get ahead. What are you going to do better than them?

Why isn't that your most up to date resume? Too busy with work the last few months?

My advice as a young guy, not 21 but younger than most people in this field, is to learn from manual machines but never ever be satisfied with running only them. If you don't know and understand CNC machines and capabilities in the future you might as well not even start down this path. It's not so daunting once you dip your toes in and infinity more in demand.

Operating jobs suck, but if you can show some sort of aptitude you might just get an offer to learn and advance. This field is starving for good workers who know the ropes.

I'm not going to lie to you, I wanted to give you a John Welden send off with your reply. Then I thought "this guy is going to be living off my tax dollars if he doesn't get a good career for himself". Take any information that is given to you on this forum as a damn gift. If people here tell you they think your behaving like a dip shit how will you come across in an interview. Its a field filled with people who want get shit done, not just talk about it. ?Take a shit or get off the crapper.

Advice & Critical Feedback wanted

You asked for it but you're not listening when you hear good honest criticism. After-all what could these old men have to offer that is useful when they're telling you you're being a dumb kid. I learned a long time ago my dad wasn't near as stupid as I thought when I was 21.
If you want more advice, stop screwing off with no count low end employment and start taking a class or two, you don't want to be a lifer machinist these days, you need to get some education and a degree hopefully to add to your resume. Lots of guys here will disagree but the fact is a degree will get you going faster than anything and also over the long term it will pay off. Maybe think about the military, they are offering good education and VA benefits after you're out.

If you grew up in Elgin, IL and your family still lives there, move to a coastal town. This will help you get your mind straight and create a fresh start. There are a lot of manufacturing jobs in New England, SoCal or NW Washington.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I didn't always make it to the end of up to date resumes when I was involved in hiring (past job), so I'm not going to read an out of date one. Spend 30 minutes tonight and fix that.

You mention using your experience on a machine as an education, but you also mention saving money for school. What "school" is is pretty important to my next point:

If the lower paying manual job is what you want to do then [higher wage]-[lower wage]-[cost of healthcare/benefits] = tuition. If this gets you training you want and that delta is an amount you will pay for that training you do it. If it's the job or experience you really want, you do it. If not, you don't.
If on the other hand the "school" you want to sign up for is less related to this, then either take the highest paying job you can and make well sure that you are actually saving (and studying in advance), or get some student loans and dive right in*.

*I'm someone who took out left school with an amount of student loan debt equivalent to a family sized home plus a used Corvette in a small Midwest town. I also picked a field (engineering) and a tiny apartment which let me pay those loans down in 6 or so years out of school. The important thing to remember here is that a student loan is like payments on a machine tool in the sense that it is an investment with some risk and return. I know someone who spent a lot of time and money getting an online degree in XYZ that quite frankly even if they could get a job with it would still not be financially ahead. They regret that decision, and 5 minutes with a calculator could have prevented it.

There is a question why if you have had a job with your father (part time or no real pay?) that you have burned through your savings.

CV's, gaps are bad, far better, fill in the multi month gaps with support the family floor laying firm etc, your job description for the first one reads grunt, no disrespect, but a cnc operators got way more crucial things to list as tasks than keep the floor dry fresh or watch a machine at lunch time! Far better to say monitor and maintain 4 machines production, cnc operating not a spectator sport, its a job, you want to grab attention, you want that job, sell em on the fact your the guy to keep thoes machines making quality inspect correct parts. Not a broom pusher that also can lay floor dry.

Blowing savings is always a shit plan, savings are like parachutes, you don't use em till you have too! You quit a good job with prospects for a unkown future. Your going to have to have a bloody good answer to that question at interview. Your reply s so far give the i can't be assed - get bored easy and want to earn more money doing something interesting, who does not???? Far better to leave one job for another every single time.

Your work history gaps and only short periods of employment raise more questions, your clearly not someone to really try and make a go of things, any employer reading it is seriously going to be sitting there thinking is this guy still going to be wanting a job in 4 months time??

At 21 over here your really going to struggle to get a apprenticeship, don't know what the age cut offs are over there. But here, you would be very lucky too, at 18-20 there’s a lot more options going that route. Most at 21 are well into it - border line completing there apprenticeships not starting.

Above all its time to get off the fence and find a job, stop being a bum and at least earn your own keep, you can worry about weather thats a broom pushing grunt or a up town jiggalow once you can put a meal on the table and a roof over your head.

Back