I got fired, the slacker got me - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not ragging on you, just giving you some food for thought.

I'll also say...I've worked 30+ years and seen some very 'critical' people leave the company due to better jobs, death, etc. Despite the prevailing sentiment at the time they left, I've never seen anyone cripple a company by leaving. I've seen companies become less good over it, but that never seems to slow anyone down. This, of course, would not apply to a very small company where there was one 'main dog' supported by a few others. The Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It seems in some companies you just can't change the nature of the beast. In my job, it's very close to home, the money is OK, there's plenty OT if I want it, including weekends. If things are quiet I can pretty much go and take a break whenever I want.

However, to use the words someone posted earlier, the place is rotting my soul, and despite the above benefits, I'm starting to look for a change. I've got my own little engineering shop in my garage, and when bosses literally ridicule you for making tools (at home) for work, so that you can do the job quickly and efficiently……………. I thought most bosses would support an employee like that. Well, let's just say I'm very disillusioned by the whole place. In the beginning I was taking machinery manuals home for study, and I was full of enthusiasm. Forward a few months and I'm full of resentment. Well over a year later, I'm being slowly destroyed inside.

I could write a book on all the negative things I've experienced but it's pointless. The people in charge won't change, the company culture won't change, they are not truly interested in improving things. People in all departments seem to be unhappy, and feel the company doesn't give a toss about them. Lazy, sneaky, political snakes do well, while keen hard workers seem to get used and get more load put on them.

I'm one of those guys who've spoken out when I see unfairness, but as many here have said, all it's got me is disliked by management because dealing with the lazy sneaky employees is just too much hard work for them.

All these degrees that management studies for seems such a joke in many cases. No doubt they are taught leadership skills, etc, but in the real world they are just people. Some care and some don't. Some want to do the right thing, and some don't care, etc, etc.

If your soul and self-worth means anything to you, the only answer may be to go somewhere you feel you belong, even if the money, etc is less. You just can't make a wrong place right, you gotta go to a right place.

3. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread reminds me of advice I've often given myself but never followed (To my own hurt). My own reason for a log is that I sometimes order material and forget to add a PO or customer name or job, really dumb of course.
    But with this kind of thing I wonder if a guy Kept a daily log TO HIMSELF as if no one else would ever read it, note every screw up, even my own. Record every time someone else has acted dishonestly, or taken extra undeserved breaks. Then if some jerk kept screwing me over just casually mention the journal in his hearing,,if he's smart but just morally compromised he might pick on someone else.