Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    Kinda like guns. You need one for big mammals, one for small mammals, one for far away mammals, one for close up angry mammals, one for 2 legged drug-crazed animals, one for big birds, one for small birds.... and that's just long barreled needs....
    This is why you should buy your .30-06 last. It does everything, and you don't have an excuse to buy that .243 or .338 Win Mag...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    This is why you should buy your .30-06 last. It does everything, and you don't have an excuse to buy that .243 or .338 Win Mag...
    Funny. Got to looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Then compared it to the ancient .270 Win.

Shorter cartidge. That was about all. My .300 Savage aleady has a shorter cartridge.

"Early days" of marketing hype, they made a big deal out of one-shot .300 Savage kills on every land animal in North America. Then did a WHALE as well.

G"dad shot crows .300 Savage now and then. Clever buggers know just about exactly how far a shotgun or .22 can range. Fall back to that, wave atcha with one feather and caw in malicious glee.

"Surprise. surprise!"

Guess I'll save me money for sumthin' else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get outta here with that logic! Just cause I own a crescent wrench doesn't mean I'm selling the others! Gotta collect them all.

4. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started with 30-06, so yep I'm off to a rough start in "collecting." But I also tend to approach things backwards sometimes. My first gun was an M1 Garand that I built from loose parts. I started with the M1 because I happened to have a Bayonett for one... so I figured I needed a gun to go with it (right?).

Same logic applies to machines. Have a Morse #6 dead center? Well shoot, I guess it's time to get a large swing lathe.

6. Likes jancollc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started with 30-06, so yep I'm off to a rough start in "collecting."
    Same here. Dad cut the stock down on a Rem 740 so it would fit me. He wouldn't let me have a .22 or a BB gun. He wanted me to know that pulling the trigger had consequences...

Damn if he didn't buy me another ought-six when I was in high school, I think he was trying to keep me from collecting guns, lol.

Didn't work.

8. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started with 30-06, so yep I'm off to a rough start in "collecting." But I also tend to approach things backwards sometimes. My first gun was an M1 Garand that I built from loose parts. I started with the M1 because I happened to have a Bayonett for one... so I figured I needed a gun to go with it (right?).

Same logic applies to machines. Have a Morse #6 dead center? Well shoot, I guess it's time to get a large swing lathe.
    If a mere #5 MT will do yah? Not really.

"Pocket size" 14" nominal, 16" "almost" HBX-360-BC uses 5 MT HS & TS BOTH.. same as the "compact" AB5/S column drill as aint' all THAT much larger than a Walker-Turner or Delta-Rockwell drillpress. Footprint-wise, anyway.

Bit over two full tons heavier, of course...

Adding a "small(er)" lathe is not as pressing what with the 10EE or HBX both capable of high RPM, but still...

A vintage P&W or Hardinge Cataract era one could bring the odd grin for fair easy restoration and not a lot of need for space nor power.

Early Rivett is another yah would not have to ever apologize for making space for. Proper rebuild, OTOH? Tedious, I am sure! Bugger has more precision surfaces than a case of gage blocks!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here. Dad cut the stock down on a Rem 740 so it would fit me. He wouldn't let me have a .22 or a BB gun. He wanted me to know that pulling the trigger had consequences...

Damn if he didn't buy me another ought-six when I was in high school, I think he was trying to keep me from collecting guns, lol.

Didn't work.
    I was in a gunshop near Butler, and hanging on the wall was
    a break open 30-06...double barrel, with IIRC 18" long barrels.

Yikes.

11. Likes jancollc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I was in a gunshop near Butler, and hanging on the wall was
    a break open 30-06...double barrel, with IIRC 18" long barrels.

Yikes.
    LOL! "minds be of a cousin looking over G'Dad'a 10-bore double.

"Does it KICK, G'Dad?".

"Nawh, nary a lick. But I fired that old gentleman whilst standing on top of a stump one day and it knocked me off then chased me around it three times 'fore it quit."

Now.. back to the OP's needs....

Far as a "small" lathe goes? Whan you already HAVE a larger one, anywy?

Person could be sore tempted to use the "KISS" method.

Grab a tiny Hardinge or Schaublin or competitor collet-queen "production" lathe for the goodness of the spindle and wide variety of cross, top and tail goodies - IF EVER you happened to NEED any of them.

Shed the oversize base cabinet for a simple variable speed DC drive, OVERHEAD mount, nothing hanging below at all.

Hang it vertically on the wall in a cubbyhole. Stout hook, mind. Could run about 200 lbs and a bit?

Wheel it out and plop it into the vise on the drillpress or mill table to use whenever yah need it. Adjust to a comfortable working altitude. Make yer parts.

Clean it up and hang it back in the coat closet when done.

Easy peasy. No wasted floorspace. Doesn't even need its own worklight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm afraid you've lost us over here with all this gun-talk! I just about know a .410 or a .177 air gun! In fact in part of the U.K. Air guns aren't allowed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Collector has a 10ee, no threading.
    Nice Monarch EE toolroom lathe - tools - by owner - sale

This looks like a really good deal- has compound , cross-slide, etc
    Jeweler's Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Laverda:
    Are your small parts small enough to consider a Sherline?
    I know invoking that name is spouting heresy on this hallowed forum, but I have one to complement my "big" lathe (a Monarch 10EE) and I find it very useful for some of the tiny stuff I build, especially if I have to work under the microscope.
    A lot cheaper than a Levin (a LOT less capable too) but quite usable nonetheless.
    After all, if you were making tiny stuff all the time, you'd already have something suitable and we wouldn't even be having this conversation, so I suspect you'd use it a few times a year.

Cheers

Marcus
    Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
    Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

for just once in a while? do you have a bridgeport or similar? put matl in spindle collets, tools in vise, center carefully. now you have an upside down mini vtl. dro helpful. cnc very very helpful. I also have a Chinese 3" 3 jaw chuck on an r8 holder for mine.