I just bought a powermatic 1200 drill press! Now how to move it? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the drill press? I just bought one a couple days ago as well (Looks the exact same, but it's painted yellow/gold instead of green).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Houston, the land of the Real Cowboy, we know how about trucks.

1) Buy a 1/2 ton truck, cut off the perfectly good stock stainless steel muffler and replace it with an obnoxiously loud carbon steel muffler

or

2) Buy a 3/4 ton 4WD truck and make sure it becomes nearly useless by lifting it, adding huge mud tires, and 4,000lbs of accessories including a 1,000lbs. front bumper - so you have plenty of weight as far forward as possible. Then buy one of those receiver hitches that drops the ball back down 18" so you can actually attach a trailer (which of course you won't be pulling anyway)

3) When you park it at night at your apartment complex, be sure to hang one side over the line so your big bad truck prevents someone else from parking their little doo-dad car.

4) Always drive at night with your fog lights on. Although this will add no detectable visibility for you, it will intrude upon every other driver's ability to see when you come his way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you're doing this alone, you might want to consider renting a small U-Haul trailer. They are relatively low to the ground compared to your truck bed and have a ramp that you can walk the drill press up and strong hold-downs that you can strap the drill press to. I'd consider doing what Thermite recommended re lowering the table and head. It will really improve stability and make it easier to load.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I always buy "pre-dented" trucks....

The only reason I can see not wanting to scratch up a truck bed
    if it's on lease.

5. Likes JRIowa, extropic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post

1) Buy a 1/2 ton truck, cut off the perfectly good stock stainless steel muffler and replace it with an obnoxiously loud carbon steel muffler

or

2) Buy a 3/4 ton 4WD truck and make sure it becomes nearly useless by lifting it, adding huge mud tires, and 4,000lbs of accessories including a 1,000lbs. front bumper - so you have plenty of weight as far forward as possible. Then buy one of those receiver hitches that drops the ball back down 18" so you can actually attach a trailer (which of course you won't be pulling anyway)

3) When you park it at night at your apartment complex, be sure to hang one side over the line so your big bad truck prevents someone else from parking their little doo-dad car.

4) Always drive at night with your fog lights on. Although this will add no detectable visibility for you, it will intrude upon every other driver's ability to see when you come his way.
    Sounds a lot like Florida.... Except we like to add the stupid freaking dual stacks (real or fake, doesn't matter) in the bed, too.

7. Likes moonlight machine, GregSY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Econdron View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the drill press? I just bought one a couple days ago as well (Looks the exact same, but it's painted yellow/gold instead of green).
    $488 with the auctioneers cut.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the natives of Easter Island could move those big stone figures that way, you can get this DP to your truck and tipped over. That's how I move my old Wilton DP--just find the center of mass and use the mass at each extreme to your advantage. Even laying it over isn't too bad if you're tipping it at the right point. Those 2x4s will help keep it from slipping when you tip it, too.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

or

Another vital accessory are the two flagpoles on the front bed corners, proudly displaying the stars and stripes, or stars and bars, or skull and crossbones, that evidence the owners' pride in belonging to a select tribe, and make a visually distracting and audibly annoying addition to the afore-mentioned accessories.

Here on our little salt-soaked peninsula we have spray-on bedliners installed on new trucks. Its remarkably tough stuff and keeps the bed of a truck looking crisp and new even after 10 years of driving across salt-saturated sandy beaches at low tide with a bed full of dripping fish and rusty steel rebar. This practice ensures that the beds rust from UNDERNEATH, as the sand kicked up by the tires abrades the galvanizing underneath and the airborne salt promotes galvanic corrosion whenever its wet enough, which is every single day. But, damn, those beds keep looking good. And stepping on the wheel wells produces a very satisfying crunchy sound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Welden View Post
    Don't scratch the bed.... Truck beds should always be pristine.
    Or the BEDLINER. The horror, the horror.

12. Likes thomasutley, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    The little 4' x 8' or 5' x 8' 2000lb trailers are handy, and low to the ground.
    You must be nuts! Attaching a ball might scratch the finish on the bumper. And, have you seen the marks those safety chains leave. OMG

14. Likes thomasutley, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by extropic View Post
    You must be nuts! Attaching a ball might scratch the finish on the bumper. And, have you seen the marks those safety chains leave. OMG
    Most of us keep a spare 2" hitch ball. One for towing, and another one that's polished to a mirror finish for the other 364 days of the year.

16. Likes extropic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remove the drill chuck, lower table all the way, lower head as far as it will go, 3 guys 1 in the bed lifting column, 2 on the bottom to, lift slide in and go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Setlab: You can do this, easier than you think: and watch who you're calling dilettantes, fella, some of us expect our trucks to earn their keep and still be able to keep polite company!

I've had a Bobcat skid steer in the bed of my Chevy K-3500 as well as a bridgeport on it's back, table on one side, ram on the other going in for rehab on the 10 freeway outta Scottsdale. Not to mention a couple of 6000 lb lumps of old iron that have been out sightseein their way across the Sierra's on a trailer. Heck the little Toyota SR-5 hauled the transmission from a Lucas HBM across the Sierra's. Both beds had plywood underlayment over rubber bed liners.. scuffed at the worst, certainly not beat. The wife's Mercedes has had an old school Delta 17" drill press in pieces in the trunk with thick padding of cheap plastic tarps...... the crappy blue one. Shhhh, don't tell her!

Cyclotronguy

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by setlab View Post
    I can't lay it down in my truck bed without scratching my paint or bed liner all up
    did you really say that ??

20. Likes mikeknell, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

or

Here in the central valley of California, note i did not say "great Valley", you also have to add spacers so the tires go more then past the fenders. Thus making them more dangerous in any sideswipe.
    Bil lD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by extropic View Post
    This guy gets it, and my tow package is only a conversation piece. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by setlab View Post
    This guy gets it, and my tow package is only a conversation piece. lol
    I thought the trailer hitch was only to have a place to hang the truck Nutz.

'Cause clearly those guys don't possess the actual anatomy.

24. Likes thomasutley, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Note of caution, be very careful as the DP (drill press) is very heavy up top. Not sure of your overall height or upper body strength but its something that can get away.

To lower the head...a possibility is to place a 2x4 on the table. Raise the block up against the quill, loosen the head attaching clamps, and use it to lower back down. Important to pre-oil/lubricate the column as you don't want anything dropping down hard. You can use the table to help raise it back up but I would recommend two helpers armed with something like a 4x4 that's rigged to the head to help assist the table drive. You don't want to trash the geared rack and pinion mechanism for table raise as that's a lot of work to repair.

I would strongly recommend a trailer, and an appliance 2-wheeled truck, wooden ramps. I am guessing both metal parts can be rented for $40 for a day. Get the center of mass low, use a couple of extra ratchet straps to secure the DP to the appliance truck, and ramp it up the minimum amount of height. This also pays dividens when you have to move it back to the ground.

The tilt and roll method is OK, but I'd take 2 grown men as helpers. You pay them with beers later.

Don't kill yourself or your machine the first time out. You can learn rigging as you go but you don't want to get in over your head while working alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lower table and head as far as possible and walk it to you truck. Depending on height you may want to raise the head some to make it easier to tilt it up and into the truck.
    Bill D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think your plan is solid except if I were you I'd call around before your move and find a local rental yard that rents engine hoists. If you need it, just go rent it, load up the truck and then return the rental hoist. Don't haul yours a long ways.

Best idea is to bring a buddy and manhandle it.

metalmagpie