What's new
What's new

I Lost my 60 Tooth Gear for my Vintage Logan 14 In. 6560 H Lathe & Need a New Gear !

HighFly27

Plastic
I Lost my 60 Tooth Gear for my Vintage Logan 14 In. 6560 H Lathe & Need a New Gear !

Hello All, My Keyboard is messed up and can't indent the paragraphs, so bear with me. I bought a Logan 14 In. Lathe (6560 H) about 3 or 4 years ago. I did not have 3 Phase power & tight on room & it's set all this time. I did check it out and found that the 60 Tooth Gear was worn quite a bit on the 5/8 In. bushing, guessing about .006 to .009 inches of wear. The other gears were not nearly as worn and I did not worry about them. Anyway, I removed the gear and have laid it somewhere. I have spent two full days hunting it and have gave up. I'm sure that it will turn up, that's after I buy a new one. .................... Now, I have priced it at Logan and it's around $ 297.00 or so. I have found it on fbay for about 1/2 this amount & used. I talked to my best friend from high school that's a retired tool & die maker. He said, if you send it to me; I'll make it and send it back to you the next day. I replied, I lost it and can't send it out. He said, OK, send me the OD, ID, Gear Width, is it keyed or not & key size. Check depth of the gear tooth that it runs with (top of gear to bottom of vee). I can go to the Gear Cutting Chart and Find it's Specs. & reproduce it. Also, it will be a 14.5 or 20.0 tooth angle. ............. So, can anyone give me the spec's for their -- 60 tooth gear, the OD ______ Dia. & Gear Width ? I know the ID for the shaft is 5/8 (.625:) I can measure the other gears that it runs with to get the Tooth Depth. Thanks in Advance, Avery

So - it runs with what gear? Count teeth and post that info along with mic OD of its running mate and forum members can tell you about the DIAMETRAL PITCH of your 60 tooth

Years ago, Scott Logan was an active contributor.
It was his dad that had the company.

FWIW That is a nice lathe, not a toy like it's little brother models.

Logan Actuator Company Store:
Change and Reverse Gears

Change Gear, 60T
Change Gear, 60T

Old Part No. was LA-212 or 18A-30212

$174.50
LP-1048

$297 is cheap , buy it, it's not that simple, it has to have the correct whole depth and tooth thickness with the correct involute.
he may be able to cut with the correct Diametral Pitch and pressure angle, hole depth and tooth thickness has to be correct or it will destroy the mating gear.
due to interference. these may or may not be profile shifted gears, that's important too.

again $297 for a gear is cheap and for a piece of mind. maybe he is knowledgeable for making gears but with out a sample, it's a shot in the dark.

the correct tool to cut will cost $300 bucks

Ok. Grab one of the gears in the gear train that would normally mesh with the 60T gear if you had it. Carefully count the number of teeth and measure the OD. Good to get the face width of the gear also. Let us know what you have.

In most cases older US lathes used standard diametral pitch gears. Most likely has 14.5 or 20 degree PA. If so, you can use off the shelf gears from Boston, Martin, Browning, Linn etc. Prices are usually @ $1 per tooth. You would only have to bore and key it if necessary. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Bob

Years ago, Scott Logan was an active contributor.
It was his dad that had the company.

FWIW That is a nice lathe, not a toy like it's little brother models.

Logan Actuator Company Store:
Change and Reverse Gears

Change Gear, 60T
Change Gear, 60T

Old Part No. was LA-212 or 18A-30212

$174.50
LP-1048

Ok. Grab one of the gears in the gear train that would normally mesh with the 60T gear if you had it. Carefully count the number of teeth and measure the OD. Good to get the face width of the gear also. Let us know what you have.

In most cases older US lathes used standard diametral pitch gears. Most likely has 14.5 or 20 degree PA. If so, you can use off the shelf gears from Boston, Martin, Browning, Linn etc. Prices are usually @ $1 per tooth. You would only have to bore and key it if necessary. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Bob
Hi Bob

This is great advice, and I have done this, but there are warnings to OP

Gears of this type even thou are mass produced are cut on a precision ground arbor, gear bores are machined precise.
so when re-machining a bore it is critical to hole the gear with precision ground over sized gear wires with soft jaws.
indicate the bore to verify .0005 inch run out.
now re bore the hole.
if not done correctly this will induce runout and tooth to tooth error, which will cause vibration and excessive gear teeth wear.
if the major diameter is machined precisely to bore, it would be possible to locate on the gear major diameter.
so a slight clean up of the gear od could be done as a work around.

The two common angles are 60 and 90 degree, I just finished doing a set of axles. If the material is anywhere close to an axle (hardness) than carbide will need to be used as these are generally case hardened.

On the Logan 10 and 11s with quick change gear box the 60 tooth is a idle gear. Your 14 is probably set up the same so put any 16 DP gear big enough in its place and it should work.

Logan 14 inch lathe 60 tooth gear spec is:
16 DP
3.875” OD
0.625” wide and
either 0.625” or 0.938” bore

Also is the same at on the 12” lathes.

Mach 2, Your the Man and Thank You. I read all the info. from the others folks as well. Yes,.. it may be simpler, & smarter to buy the 60 Tooth Gear. However, my best friend from back (PA) home is quite an accomplished tool & die maker. I've known him since I was 12, that's was in 1959. He's been all over the world setting up the newest & latest machine tooling in the industry. I'm going to send him what I have and see what his final word is ?? When we talked last night. He has cut lot's of gears and has most of the popular involute gear cutters. He bought them in sets in a big two day sale when a machine shop sold out in our area. Anyway, Thanks and I'll keep you informed as to the final outcome. Avery

Wow, I was shocked, I just removed the Gear that is just under the Reverse (twin gears) set up. I installed it where the Missing Gear is and it fit perfectly. I could not believe it; the Hub may ne different but the ID Bore > 625. The tooth count is 60 T. on the button. The Gear Tooth Depth is --.135" / Gear Width is -- .630 // Gear OD is -- 3.875 and on the button. The Bore ID is .625 with an actual measurement of -- .635 for wear and fit on a .625 shaft. Anyway, I just sent all this info. to my tool maker friend and see what he say's. Also, I called Boston Gear and left a detail message but No Reply. Thanks again, Avery

OK you have made up your mind up already, no worries

keep in mind
what is the material , how was it heat treated, is it through harden or case harden, what is the quality of the gear, AGMA Class (equates to precision)
involute error, lead error, tooth to tooth error, tooth thickness, surface finish of profile.
keep in mind to much vibration will kill the bearings or cause premature wear, , and can cause damage to other gears , and the gear shaft.
now add up the dollars for repairs $$$$$$
Your friend I am sure can built this gear no sweat, does he have equipment to verify it , does he have involute checker, or Red line checker, lead is easy to verify but tooth to error is not with out a master gear, a close second is an index head, check each tooth,

boston gear of equivalent AGMA quality may be a better way to go if you don't want buy from the Logan, gear shops do this day in and day out.
and have the necessary equipment and tools to make them right.

My Budget is not much of a Factor. I have the money to buy the gear at the higher pricing that I saw. If I had my PA Best Friend make the gear... it would be right & work 100%. I'm thinking, I might even buy the items I need to try it myself on my Bridgeport. I need a 5/8" mandrel & tailstock to match up to the height of my B&S dividing head. I'll need to buy the involute gear cutter. My good friend may have the right one and borrow it. When I checked pricing before, they're around $ 135.00 or so. Remember, the lathe is the only machine that can re-produce itself. Also, I'd be proud as a peacock if I made this gear myself and it was A OK on the 1st Attempt !! Thanks All, Avery

Hello All, My Keyboard is messed up and can't indent the paragraphs, so bear with me. I bought a Logan 14 In. Lathe (6560 H) about 3 or 4 years ago. I did not have 3 Phase power & tight on room & it's set all this time. I did check it out and found that the 60 Tooth Gear was worn quite a bit on the 5/8 In. bushing, guessing about .006 to .009 inches of wear. The other gears were not nearly as worn and I did not worry about them. Anyway, I removed the gear and have laid it somewhere. I have spent two full days hunting it and have gave up. I'm sure that it will turn up, that's after I buy a new one. .................... Now, I have priced it at Logan and it's around $ 297.00 or so. I have found it on fbay for about 1/2 this amount & used. I talked to my best friend from high school that's a retired tool & die maker. He said, if you send it to me; I'll make it and send it back to you the next day. I replied, I lost it and can't send it out. He said, OK, send me the OD, ID, Gear Width, is it keyed or not & key size. Check depth of the gear tooth that it runs with (top of gear to bottom of vee). I can go to the Gear Cutting Chart and Find it's Specs. & reproduce it. Also, it will be a 14.5 or 20.0 tooth angle. ............. So, can anyone give me the spec's for their -- 60 tooth gear, the OD ______ Dia. & Gear Width ? I know the ID for the shaft is 5/8 (.625:) I can measure the other gears that it runs with to get the Tooth Depth. Thanks in Advance, Avery

297.00 is chump change. You won't buy a gear for my LeBlond Servo Shift Regal for 1000.00

Wow, I was shocked, I just removed the Gear that is just under the Reverse (twin gears) set up. I installed it where the Missing Gear is and it fit perfectly. I could not believe it; the Hub may ne different but the ID Bore > 625. The tooth count is 60 T. on the button. The Gear Tooth Depth is --.135" / Gear Width is -- .630 // Gear OD is -- 3.875 and on the button. The Bore ID is .625 with an actual measurement of -- .635 for wear and fit on a .625 shaft. Anyway, I just sent all this info. to my tool maker friend and see what he say's. Also, I called Boston Gear and left a detail message but No Reply. Thanks again, Avery

The idle gear attaches to the spider bracket with a stud and bronze bushing. The bushing is keyed to the gear. If your 60 tooth gear is riding directly on the stud then you may be missing parts. I would suggest you obtain a parts manual from Logan and make sure you have everything.

Would you believe !

Ya want to hear a funny ?? I have a gear I have been using for a paper weight on my desk for several years !! That fits those specs exactly !! With 5/32 key way. Came with a 11" Logan that I repaired and sold for a friend several years ago. OP see my email to you.
PS 6500 series Logan's are very nice machines.

I just found a picture I took of front & back sides of the Logan 60 T. Gear. It's all there, and has the bronze bushing in it; it has a Thrust Side as well. However, the ID hole is worn, I don't remember exactly put quite noticeable, about .006 to .009" play. The other gears were OK and No Noticeable Play. I did order a parts book from Logan as of Yesterday and Instruction Book for the Logan 6500 Series. Thanks, Avery

Back