I need an alternate solution to scotch brite pads when wiping down barstock. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan from Oakland View Post
    . . .Gordon- most shops don't have a tumbler big enough to put 12' long bars in! Did I miss something?
    Its a purpose-built unit, designed and constructed in-house (the 'main man' on the shop side is a co-owner and wizard who designed and built many of the daily-use machines). It has run for thousands of hours. The soap/rinse cycles are programed on an ordinary sprinkler timer! The Oil-Eater and water are fed and drained automatically, just load it and leave it. In that tumbler we use cylindrical ceramic media. The 304 bars, after forming are soft-soldered and silver-brazed per application.

Oh, and its used on 304ss rounds from 1/8 - 9/16. A lot of them!

2. Likes Dan from Oakland liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Heaton View Post
    Its a purpose-built unit, designed and constructed in-house (the 'main man' on the shop side is a co-owner and wizard who designed and built many of the daily-use machines). It has run for thousands of hours. The soap/rinse cycles are programed on an ordinary sprinkler timer! The Oil-Eater and water are fed and drained automatically, just load it and leave it. In that tumbler we use cylindrical ceramic media. The 304 bars, after forming are soft-soldered and silver-brazed per application.

After searching for something like this and finding nothing, I began to design one in my head.

It would be fun to construct, but not practical in my current situation. I bet it gets lots of love in your shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Heaton View Post

Can you post a photo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by richard newman View Post
    Can you post a photo?
    I'll ask the boss. Most of the machinery is proprietary and visitors are generally not allowed but he'll probably be ok with that tumbler. Might be a few days, I got a new shoulder last week, not all that limber yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, boss says I can share whatever anyone wants to see about the long tumbler. I'll start with a couple of overview pics, then answer questions if there are any.

But... the doc won't let me drive yet, I hope maybe in a week. If I haven't posted the pics here within 10 days or so and anyone is still interested, please remind me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm thinking that maybe you just need a different supplier for your SS?

I kan't think of ever seeing greasy SS at all, let alone to the extent that you are talking!

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I'm thinking that maybe you just need a different supplier for your SS?

I kan't think of ever seeing greasy SS at all, let alone to the extent that you are talking!

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I have only seen it on 303 not 304 or ever on 316.

I did just get set up with Swiss Steel yesterday and they are going to start supplying UGIMA for me. I havent been able to find a steady supplier for Improved Machinability stainless. in the sizes I run.

The last batch for this job was from EMJ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The contamination doesn't look too bad at a glance, but if you handle a bunch of it you'll have filthy hands. It must be removed before soldering, brazing or tigging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanASM View Post
    I have only seen it on 303 not 304 or ever on 316.

I did just get set up with Swiss Steel yesterday and they are going to start supplying UGIMA for me. I havent been able to find a steady supplier for Improved Machinability stainless. in the sizes I run.

The last batch for this job was from EMJ.

Well I have no idea why 303 and not 304?
    They are both "18-8" and neither is going to rust anytime soon.

???

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by richard newman View Post
    Can you post a photo?
    Sorry it took so long. The OAL of this machine is just over 13'. the tumbler trough is made from steel pipe and is covered with commercial truck-bed coating. The stationary 6" PVC trough is a manual pre-wash, only used if we get a particularly dirty batch of rounds. The trough slopes down to the right where the drain is, the de-greaser and rinse piccolo tubes are leveled for even 'dribble'. The effluent dumps into the blue cascade settling tank. The machine is powered by a 3hp motor. The vibes cause a perfect movement of the stock through the media, resembling the rotary motion of a gatling gun barrel.

dirk-front.jpgdirk-backside.jpg

12. Likes jz79, Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lacquer thinner would clean all the junk. A soak in a vat for a short period. You could reclaim the thinner if you let it sit for a little while.
    Last week the price was $22 at Home Depot. Price has jumped over $20 recently, wonder why... I know why.