What's new
What's new

I need an educated opinion about this Lagun

woodsy1

Plastic
I am in need of a 5000-6000 dollar mill and happened upon this Lagun. Can anyone offer any advice good or bad about this mill? Thanks alot. If you know of something better and closer (chicago) let me know. The Lagun looks very nice but I do not have a used machinery "eye"

Lagun is a great mill, they are better than a BP. The varidrive head should sound real quite they are very sweet to run. You might here some thumping as the speed is being changed but it should sound like a well tuned machine. Check the ways, are they ground or have they been flacked, is the flaking still visibile? Are there holes in the table. On a 5-6 thousand dollar mill it should be a late model machine or in pristine condition. It should have power feed and a DRO at a minimum for that price. That sounds pretty high unless it is real nice, maybe original paint very little backlash and the brake on the head should work as well. You can tell the condition of a mill if the brake is all used up. That takes a long time to do and lots of use. Send pics.

Anyone else? I dont want to get bit. There are way too many variables on these mills. Any guidance on these laguns would be great

You should have someone who knows what they are looking for check the machine. It has been repainted and the ad mentions rescraped ways and a rescraped table. Rescraped ways imply a fairly high hours machine. A rescraped table may indicate a machine which was abused.

It could end up being a good deal, or it could be a rustoleum rebuild where someone has run a scraper on the ways and table to give it a "frosted" appearance.

For the amount you are planning to spend, unless you have a real good feel for the seller and knowledge about what you are looking at, I think you may be better off looking for a low hours machine which hasn't required rebuilding.

John Fahnestock, who posts on this forum rebuilds mills and may have something for you to consider also. www.j-lscraping.com . Here is a Practical Machinist post about his work; http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...l-scraping-service-terrific-craftsman-116527/

I had a similar reaction -- my first thought on seeing the picture was, "oh oh -- a repaint job." That may be totally unfair to the machine, but I'd want to be sure the owner who refurbished it really knows how to do a proper refurbishing.

It looks really nice that's why drew me to it. Then I spoke with Carmen at lagun and he told me it has a second generation head on it and that's a very good thing and nearly every part is available

I have a Lagun also. Nice machine. It's beefier than a Bridgeport. I visited Lagun in Carson, CA and they indeed stock a lot of parts. You could always make the seller an offer and see what they say.

I see that the one-shot oiler is gone, screw holes are still there. Oil lines to it are gone as well. Be nice to know when that happened. The top of the table has been flaked, badly, as well as the ways on the top of the knee. There's a buttload of wear on the handles and rust in the crevices I could see in the images. If I were considering buying it I'd bring a straightedge before hand and a flashlight to look underneath and indicate the crap outta the quill short and extended as well as the table against the knee.

(BTY: I have a Lagun FT-2 and like it, that looks like maybe a FTV-1 Not sure why they changed the badge.)

I see that the one-shot oiler is gone, screw holes are still there. Oil lines to it are gone as well. Be nice to know when that happened. The top of the table has been flaked, badly, as well as the ways on the top of the knee. There's a buttload of wear on the handles and rust in the crevices I could see in the images. If I were considering buying it I'd bring a straightedge before hand and a flashlight to look underneath and indicate the crap outta the quill short and extended as well as the table against the knee.

(BTY: I have a Lagun FT-2 and like it, that looks like maybe a FTV-1 Not sure why they changed the badge.)

Thank you so much, this one I will pass on, you saved me a bunch

be careful, their customer service is horrible, parts are expensive and they are super disorganized.

last time I ordered I got the wrong parts -- which they recommended based upon the manual I emailed them a copy of, had the parts expedited (at a high cost) shipped overnight and then they were the wrong parts.

They stuck me with all of the costs.

if you have to repair it and cant make the parts yourself you will get bitten *** use caution***

be careful, their customer service is horrible, parts are expensive and they are super disorganized.

last time I ordered I got the wrong parts -- which they recommended based upon the manual I emailed them a copy of, had the parts expedited (at a high cost) shipped overnight and then they were the wrong parts.

They stuck me with all of the costs.

if you have to repair it and cant make the parts yourself you will get bitten *** use caution***

Back