What's new
What's new

I Need Help Identifying This!

moog220

Plastic
I picked up a piece of tooling at an estate sale with a lathe and cant figure out what it does. I has a 5C arbor for a lathe, and is some sort of chuck. It is made by Sadler Mfg. Co. NY NY. It is approximately 6" in diameter and has a knurled outer ring that rotates about 1/4 turn with a ball detent. When it turns I cant detect any action. Its about 1 1/2" thick. Its a well made piece but is baffling to me. If you may know by description what it is thats great. I would post pics but guess I cant. If you are willing to give me your e-mail I will send you some pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You should be able to edit your post and insert pics. The site won't allow pics on an initial post, but it will on edit.

bob

Could it be Slader, instead of Sadler, they make rotary broaching tools among other tooling, I never saw one of their broach holders, but it could look similar to what you are describing.
James

Are you the one that bought this eBay auction? I almost bid on it just out of curiosity, but toward the end, the bid got above what I wanted to spend just on a whim.

I've asked around myself and we can't figure out just how it's supposed to work. One fellow thought it was a watchmaker's attachment, but I don't think that's right.

I'd love to know what it and how it works.

Doc.

I picked up a piece of tooling at an estate sale with a lathe and cant figure out what it does. I has a 5C arbor for a lathe, and is some sort of chuck. It is made by Sadler Mfg. Co. NY NY. It is approximately 6" in diameter and has a knurled outer ring that rotates about 1/4 turn with a ball detent. When it turns I cant detect any action. Its about 1 1/2" thick. Its a well made piece but is baffling to me. If you may know by description what it is thats great. I would post pics but guess I cant. If you are willing to give me your e-mail I will send you some pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have 3 of these devices. Did you ever figure out what they do and how they work? They're obviously a well-engineered tool but their operation is baffling. Please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Mike
Charlottesville, VA

Back