Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just saw the OP date.
    Lotta that goin' on lately. Obviously the old threads were more interesting. But then, you remember back far enough everything was more interesting...

2. Likes steve-l, Djstorm100, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    Lotta that goin' on lately. Obviously the old threads were more interesting. But then, you remember back far enough everything was more interesting...
    absolutely right. I work for big yellow validating hydraulic systems for excavators and for once though I could give back to the community. To be 100% honest, I'm a hobby machinist looking to learn from season vets here.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    ...I'm a hobby machinist looking to learn from season vets here.
    Seasoned vets = polite term for but thank you on behalf of the older PMers.
    Things weren't really better back in the day. We think they were only because we can't recall the exact sensation of pain...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Zombie thread.
    But when I was in hydraulics Dynex was the go to for high pressure.
    They are also contamination tolerant.

High Pressure Hydraulics: Piston Pumps, Power Units, Motors and Valves | Dynex

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Iím in a similar situation, looking to build a 10,000 psi setup, powered by a engine. Iím in the process of trying to put together a 400 ton Hydraulic slide system. Similar to this- Hydra Slide - Hydraulic Skidding Systems - Heavy Equipment Movers

Iíve priced the factory made units and they want $60,000+ for just the hydraulic pump unit. I canít help but think I couldnít build something cheaper. I can source all the fittings, valves, and hoses from the likes of Enerpac, but they donít offer just the pump.

Iíve already got a 110v Enerpac and Simplex pump units, and they work fine for jacks, but I need something with more capacity and GPM than those little units offer.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you looked at the gas engine driven units that House movers use. Those are multi piston pumps, that can be operator selected to pump different volume or pressure to different ports.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

How about an oil-to-oil intensifier ?

9. Likes SND liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Toms Wheels View Post
    Have you looked at the gas engine driven units that House movers use. Those are multi piston pumps, that can be operator selected to pump different volume or pressure to different ports.
    Yes, that is basically what they use. Going back and looking at the quotes I got, it is roughly in the $80K range for a synchronous pumping unit, and around $30K for a standard non-synchronous pump unit. While a synchronous setup would be nice, it's not worth the difference in cost. A good operator can synchronize the circuits himself with flow control needle valves. I still think I can build a setup myself cheaper, I have a engine already and can fab up a frame and hydraulic tank. All I'd need to buy is a pump, high pressure lines, and valving. I've found some pumps but most of them are variable displacement, which isn't needed in this application.

Doing my research, I keep on running into info that says NPT connections won't hold past around 6,000 psi. Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure me Enerpac 10,000 psi jacking setup uses NPT at almost all the connections.

I'm also looking at building a track myself also. They want $80K for 80' of track, cylinders, and skid shoes. Besides the cylinders, I've priced the material for building the track and shoes, and it can be had for $9,000.

Another option is to just up-size the cylinders and use a lower pressure, more common setup. 3,000-5,000 psi pumps are a dime a dozen, and can be had at any hyd supply place, the fittings and valves are also much cheaper. A 5.5" bore cylinder at 5,000 psi will have a comparable pushing force of a 4" bore cylinder at 10,000 psi.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    How about an oil-to-oil intensifier ?
    During my research, I've ran into these intensifiers, but don't know anything about them or looked much into it. Maybe I need to do some more looking.

The thing is, I'd be willing to guess that most of the time the working pressure would be around 5,000 psi or so. Only time you would be in the 8,000-10,000 psi range is when you are right at max capacity.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by m16ty View Post
    Doing my research, I keep on running into info that says NPT connections won't hold past around 6,000 psi. Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure me Enerpac 10,000 psi jacking setup uses NPT at almost all the connections.
    AFAIK "Normal" NPT hydraulic fittings are rated to only ~400bar ~6000psi but high pressure versions are available up to 10k and 15k psi.
    Bore size, material thickness and strength are not same as "normal" fittings. High pressure version are also usually available only in relatively small sizes.

edit: pressure rating depends also on size ie. Guide to Thread and Connector Working Pressures for Fittings

13. Likes m16ty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont know what gpm you are looking for but 30000 isn't bad a 47 gpm that is a 6000 psi pump is in the 18000 range by its self. drill rigs use a lot of dynex pumps and sundstrand pumps and run in the 4500 to 5500 psi range
    High Pressure Hydraulics: Piston Pumps, Power Units, Motors and Valves - Dynex/Rivett Inc.

didn't see miguels had already posted the link

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

here is the page with the 10000 psi pumps be sitting down when you get quotes PV4000-11 Series Pressure Compensated Pumps - Dynex/Rivett Inc.