What's new
What's new

I ruined a drill today. I'm embarrassed.

Mark Rand

Diamond
I was just bashing a 1/2" hole through a bit of 1/8" plate on the mill, prior to welding it onto a bit of 1/2" stainless bar. 600rpm and 1.5thou/rev. OK, it was 316 stainless. It turns out that friction drilling is a thing, even with a 2hp mill. I now have a MT1 HSS drill with a taper on the flutes and a bit of 316 plate with a super-hard hole in it.

I really do need to pay attention to what the material is when I'm using something other than carbon steel or aluminium. :confused:

Big holes in thin stainless sheet always sucks.

To be clear- when I say I big, I mean that the drill diameter is 4x the material thickness.

Last edited:
I was nodding my head, yes, good, until I read 316! [Sound of screeching brakes]
We all have lapses, they are the lessons that stick.

Hmmm... paying attention or not, I can't think of any material I'd run a 1/2 Drill in at 1.5 thou per rev. Sorry but no sympathy here... you had it coming. :-)

But would you like to see my collection of broken off and busted up drills and end mills? I think I'm up to about a medium flat rate box full by now. Just added a 1/4-20 tap yesterday that tried to tap where there wasn't a hole. What do they say? "That'll leave a mark!"

Hmmm... paying attention or not, I can't think of any material I'd run a 1/2 Drill in at 1.5 thou per rev. Sorry but no sympathy here... you had it coming. :-)

But would you like to see my collection of broken off and busted up drills and end mills? I think I'm up to about a medium flat rate box full by now. Just added a 1/4-20 tap yesterday that tried to tap where there wasn't a hole. What do they say? "That'll leave a mark!"
You must be a youngster. Or else you just don't make mistakes.:bowdown:
:D

Ha-ha... Let's just say I saw the Beatles the first time they were on Ed Sullivan. And they give me discounts at the movies without even asking. Can't beat it.

I thought a medium flat rate box full sounded like a lot of eff-ups.

1/2" drills are cheap, 1/8" 316 is cheap unless you have the largest bridge mill in the world. Get back to work bruh, you spent more money posting than just fixing your mistake.

Big holes in thin stainless sheet always sucks.

Haha! 1/2” is a big hole? I’ll second Larry and say step drill for that in I/8, or just to be super annoying, put it on the laser! Why would you use power feed for that??? I’d think more like 175 rpm for SS too.. start it with 3/16 with a cordless, then stepdrill. Slooww.. ( that said, I just destroyed about ( 4 )5/16 twist drills in stainless myself going about 800..)

Haha! 1/2” is a big hole? I’ll second Larry and say step drill for that in I/8, or just to be super annoying, put it on the laser! Why would you use power feed for that??? I’d think more like 175 rpm for SS too.. start it with 3/16 with a cordless, then stepdrill. Slooww
In the grand scheme? No. But, it is 4x the material thickness and a basic twist drill doesn't like that in mild. Toss in 13 or whatever percent chrome and your day doesn't get any brighter.

just one bit? a twist bit at that... I would be embarrassed as cutting a piece of stock wrong, which I have never done so not sure how embarrassed that is.

Back