What's new
What's new

Identify This Machine Part?

Mel in WA

Hot Rolled
Miller Precision Threading Attachment for lathe

Found this in a machinists' estate. Can't figure out what it is/does?
No maker's name or model number seen.
Can anybody identify it? :scratchchin:

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1950.jpg
    IMG_1950.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_1952.jpg
    IMG_1952.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
Generically, that's an dividing head (or indexer), with built-in provision for varying the worm gear ratio through a change gear set, mounted on a cross slide. The mounted-on-a-cross-slide strongly suggests it is part of some specific larger machine, and not a general accessory for a milling machine (for example).

If I had to guess what it's "off of", maybe a tool grinder of some sort? Perhaps a reamer flute grinder?

Added in edit: the currently unoccupied clamping bore is almost certainly for an overarm which would carry a bracket for either a dead center (most likely) or an indexing finger (much less likely). So this gizmo was intended for a grinding or machining operation, and not for measurement/inspection.

And a question for you, Mel in WA: Does the slide leadscrew interact with the worm wheel at all? I'm guessing not, but if it does, it would yield helical flutes in a tool-making application.

Last edited:
Thanks to everybody that helped, especially Ken who fully identified it and pointed me in the direction of the change gears which I do have.
This forum is a great resource!

It is for sale, and I have sent a PM to Ron.

Attachments

• IMG_1956.jpg
    IMG_1956.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 271
Any chance this is still available? I'm looking for the same item if anyone has one. Recently acquired an incomplete Millertte attachment.

Back