What's new
What's new

Identify Pin 1 of AMP Connector

Sierevello1

Aluminum
I am hooking up a drip feed for my milling machine and need to insert a wire into pin 1 of this AMP connector. I do not have a print of the board to show where pin 1 is. However, on the female half of the AMP connector there is an arrow as shown in the picture. Does this show that this terminal "should be" pin 1?

Thank You!

-Steve

IMG_1390_1.jpg

I am hooking up a drip feed for my milling machine and need to insert a wire into pin 1 of this AMP connector. I do not have a print of the board to show where pin 1 is. However, on the female half of the AMP connector there is an arrow as shown in the picture. Does this show that this terminal "should be" pin 1?

Photo not clear enough, and it would be a guess. If you can make out the connector's AMP model number, you will be able to tell from the datasheet for that connector.

Since it is empty and you are adding combined with it being in a corner with the arrow we may assume it is pin one.

If it is an output place one end of wire there and leave other end not connected then do process that causes machine to place voltage there and confirm.

If input then use a resistor as buffer.

Being cautious does take time but less time than fixing smoke...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

In a word, YES the arrow on a connector shell is supposed to indicate pin 1. AMP is a main line brand and should follow this general convention. I have also seen raised or indented dots, lines, a beveled corner, a square hole while the rest are round, a notch, and other ways. Almost anything different.

But I have seen people who use the connectors, invent their own numbering schemes. This is the users, not the manufacturer of the connector.

Looking at your photo again, it appears that the other three corners have wires in them. The corner you circled is the only empty corner hole. Pin 1 will almost certainly be in a corner in ANY numbering scheme so this is a second confirmation that that is indeed pin 1.

Back