What's new
What's new

Identify spline size driveshaft

tcncj

Cast Iron
I need to cut some splines on a driveshaft.
I bought a cutter so I can cut them in one go (DIN 5481). But the angle of the splines is bigger.
I can cut the splines on some test pieces with the DIN5481 cutter and use multiple passes to get the right angle.
But I prefer to cut them in one pass.
Are there some standard sizes for drive shaft splines or a good way to identify them?

First off, driveshaft for what application? Size and tooth count? Angle of spline or serration? DIN 5481 calls out a 60 degree angle, straight, not involute. Drop the corner of a steel ruler or carbide insert or something to check angles and type of tooth.

Ed.

uP6l9oI.jpg

od is 27mm
tooth count. Don't know, need to check tomorrow.

I work with the USA ANSI B92.1 splines
I don't have DIN specifications

Measure the Major Diameter and Minor Diameter (try to match what is in the DIN spec)
count the # of teeth
Use a CMM or Optical comparator measure the Circular pitch from center to center of two adjacent teeth.
now use the optical comparator try to measure the involute pressure angle
here is the USA version Diametral Pitch = Pi/p
p= circular pitch
or
if there a local gear shop just take to them to reverse engineer the spline only , the most exact is with an involute & lead gear checker

look up gear formulas for metric
here is a link to English USA Gear Design Equations and Formula | Circular Pitches and Equivalent Diametral Pitches Table | Engineers Edge

If it's a one-off and for yourself and not going into a Can-Am car, grab an old-style boring bar with the straight square hole, take a piece of high-speed and grind it by hand to fit the sample. Hold it up to the light until it's good.

Dividing head and go slow.

Maybe go around twice, once to rough, sharpen, then once around to finish without changing your depth.

If it's a one-off and for yourself and not going into a Can-Am car, grab an old-style boring bar with the straight square hole, take a piece of high-speed and grind it by hand to fit the sample. Hold it up to the light until it's good.

Dividing head and go slow.

Maybe go around twice, once to rough, sharpen, then once around to finish without changing your depth.

there is Tooth to Tooth error, Involute error, Max effective size, min actual Size, an incorrect machine spline will destroy the mating part and it self.
a correct form tool or hob is required, even for moderately slow rpm.

not exactly rolled splines have to pass ring go and no go gages just the same. just because it's roll
it's still precise. if it is under size fretting can occur or the spline will fail do to stress values.

Cold rolled spline ...not particularly accurate as to form ,depth or anything else .....loose fit quite normal.

I routinely reverse engineer OEM, rolled, involute splines. Of late, a few DIN 5480 applications. Am usually impressed at involute form and lead error. Circular tooth thickness is exactly where it is supposed to be. I wish people would refrain from contributing that are clueless.

I need to cut some splines on a driveshaft.
I bought a cutter so I can cut them in one go (DIN 5481). But the angle of the splines is bigger.
I can cut the splines on some test pieces with the DIN5481 cutter and use multiple passes to get the right angle.
But I prefer to cut them in one pass.
Are there some standard sizes for drive shaft splines or a good way to identify them?[/QUOTE
What you have is a rolled spline axle shaft, typically 30 or 45 degree depending upon manufacturer. There's actually a lot that goes into the heat treating after rolling. You can cut your own splines but you may very well find it far cheaper by the time it's said and done to purchase an after market axle from one of many company's that do it all day long. Dutchmen, Summers Bros.

Thanks for all the useful information.
I make them out of 4140HT
There is no involute on the spline as far as I can see. So I think I can cut them in 2 passes.
The original axle fits very loose in the mating part.

Back