What's new
What's new

Identify this tool

DeaconSteve

Plastic
I hope I have not placed this in the wrong thread. This item is about 31 inches tall and weighs about 50lbs. The handle on top turns the screw, and the bottom handle can slide up and down by squeezing the lever. There is another peg at the back side of the bottom handle at the rear. I have posted this on another site which yielded a response that it was part of a saw mill sled. My neighbor has worked at one in his early life and he told me that this tool wasn't part of that. Any ideas? I got this in an estate sale. And, I'm sorry that it is sideways, I couldn't figure out how to rotate it on here.

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    tool.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 464
It looks like some kind of screw operated jack and it appears it may have a quick release for rapid positioning (the small hand lever). Clockwise rotation will lift the movable piece.

On second thought I'm wondering if it might be a bead breaker off some kind of tire machine.

A fancy one ,tho..usually they just used an arm with a point ,and whacked it into the log with a sledge......probably for softwood ,as the back hasnt been hammered.

Don't think they needed to whack this one since the handle at the top would screw the pegs into place. I'm gonna try to rig up a mount and see if I could turn this into a press.

Back