What's new
What's new

Ikegai A20 - Help Please!

bkozan

Plastic
So I've just purchased an Ikegai A20 which is running, but I only got to play with it for about 20 minutes and take a handful of photos before I had to leave. The lathe won't be delivered to me for at least 4 weeks. It comes with a parts list and 'brochure', but no manual. I'm really excited about this machine and can't wait to get it home, but in the meantime I've been trying to research what I can about this ball-screw apron-based Japanese lathe. A few questions:

• Does anyone have a manual, or could take photos and send them through?
  • Threading - it doesn't have a thread dial, and the leadscrew doesn't turn! How do you cut threads in more than one pass?
  • The automatic stopping mechanism - When I clicked it in or out it didn't seem to engage or disengage anything?
  • Before I bring it home, is there anything else I should look out for with this machine? (I haven't actually paid yet...)

Thanks to anyone who can offer any insight, I hope I've bought a good machine!

So I've just purchased an Ikegai A20 which is running, but I only got to play with it for about 20 minutes and take a handful of photos before I had to leave. The lathe won't be delivered to me for at least 4 weeks. It comes with a parts list and 'brochure', but no manual. I'm really excited about this machine and can't wait to get it home, but in the meantime I've been trying to research what I can about this ball-screw apron-based Japanese lathe. A few questions:

• Threading - it doesn't have a thread dial, and the leadscrew doesn't turn! How do you cut threads in more than one pass?
  • The automatic stopping mechanism - When I clicked it in or out it didn't seem to engage or disengage anything?
  • Before I bring it home, is there anything else I should look out for with this machine? (I haven't actually paid yet...)

I've never worked on one but they have an excellent reputation as far as I can see.

Regards Tyrone.

FWIW Mark McGrath had one and thought it the best of it's type he'd ever used.

On Edit, There's some Ikegai action here YouTube

Interesting Sami, I see they've got the long travel steering wheel on the right/best side of the saddle. You also seem to be able to vary the feed rates from the saddle, that can be handy. All in all a nice little machine. Not everybody will like the direct start on the spindle but it never bothered me.

Regards Tyrone.

Remove the drain plug on the apron and see what comes out. If it's relatively clean oil you're in luck.

Regards Tyrone.

Fantastic machine. I ran one in 1975. I loved to do work on this machine. Its low to the ground so we put it on some large steel blocks.lots of horsepower for roughing and very accurate for finishing. Great two speed tailstock. Lead and feed screws are covered.If I remember right once you closed the half nuts you only had to reverse the spindle and pull out of the cut.This machine can really take a cut.It needs a good chuck and tool holder.Enjoy it.

FWIW Mark McGrath had one and thought it the best of it's type he'd ever used.

On Edit, There's some Ikegai action here YouTube

Yeah, I tried to reach out to Mark via private message, but his inbox is full. :( He'd offered some other members help, so I was (and still am) really hoping he comes across this thread.

Interesting Sami, I see they've got the long travel steering wheel on the right/best side of the saddle. You also seem to be able to vary the feed rates from the saddle, that can be handy. All in all a nice little machine. Not everybody will like the direct start on the spindle but it never bothered me.

Regards Tyrone.

Yeah, I think the biggest concern with the direct start on the spindle is all the associated electricals that have to be run to the apron, which is odd. But everything else about having all the controls in the apron (due to the fixed lead screw / ball screw) seems to be quite fancy and desirable. I'm looking forward to making chips with this beast.

Fantastic machine. I ran one in 1975. I loved to do work on this machine. Its low to the ground so we put it on some large steel blocks.lots of horsepower for roughing and very accurate for finishing. Great two speed tailstock. Lead and feed screws are covered.If I remember right once you closed the half nuts you only had to reverse the spindle and pull out of the cut.This machine can really take a cut.It needs a good chuck and tool holder.Enjoy it.

Lol, the height seems to be common feedback on the machine! It's good to know, gives me time to sort out a plinth before the crane truck delivers it. And yes - I did a bit of searching and realised the incredibly simple solution to threading - just reverse the leadscrew, or reverse the motor, and simply keep the 'half nut' engaged. Will take a little bit of getting used to, but I imagine a thread dial for that many pitches would be a bit crowded and complicated. :)

Any suggestions on a plinth? Just some hardwood is my first thought, but might the wood compress over time leading to constant re-leveling of the machine?

Remove the drain plug on the apron and see what comes out. If it's relatively clean oil you're in luck.

Regards Tyrone.

Yeah, the headstock was opened up and while it was a bit low on oil, the oil looked pretty clean. I've filled it up and we're watching for any leaks, which they've agreed to fix before I take it home if any show up. I'll pull some oil from the apron too and see what we get.

Yeah, I tried to reach out to Mark via private message, but his inbox is full. :( He'd offered some other members help, so I was (and still am) really hoping he comes across this thread.

FYI Mark died 5 or 6 years back - so unless you've a line to the ''other side'' ???? ;)

A lot to like with that lathe and glad to see your enthusiasm for your purchase. I spent a few hours reviewing a nice A20 about a decade ago and kick myself often for not buying it.

Great machine, good power very ridgid but headstock can get knocked out of square but easily adjusted back to true. The major drawback is it was built to suit shorter people. Mine was 'improved with heavy steel weldment underheadstock and tailstock bases raising it 5.5 inches.

Back