What's new
What's new

Ikegai lathe transmission failed. Now what?

Jeff Lougfh

Plastic
We have a 1967 Ikegai lathe that lost spindle power. After removing the spindle drive belts, the drive would spin but I could stop it with my gloved hand. I pulled the motor transmission assembly out of the lathe. Now what? I've never worked on a transmission, aside from replacing clutches on manual transmissions. This is totally enclosed and I'm afraid to just start tearing into it. I don't know what to look for. Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

I have no knowledge of that machine's transmission, but speaking generally, and having been in similar situations, I'm going to guess that you've lost a driving feature like a key or spline. "Lost" can mean sheared or fallen out. You won't know until you open it up and look. You might see if you can get a set of gaskets and seals for it, ahead of time so you feel better about putting it back together. Otherwise, simply plan on making gaskets and buying seals individually. Good luck.

Your transmission is already broke how much broker is it going to be if you open it up and poke around trying to figure out what needs fixing.

Vlad

You sure its the transmission? Could be gear shifter cylinder is full of hydraulic oil on both sides, worn out piston seal? Gear stuck in neutral, or between gears.
Or is the drive motor faulty if you can stop it by hand? Possibly one or two carbon brush stuck or worn out?

Marko

Taking the cover off shouldn't be too stressful :D Drain the oil into a clean bucket and look at what color and type of grit you see coming out, that may help you anticipate the damaged component: bronze colored fines = bad bushing or shift collar, loose balls = failed bearing; grey or black magnetic sludge = normal gear wear but filter system (if present) not working; non-magnetic sludge = bronze fines or clutch facing material.

Back