What's new
What's new

Import 12X36 Quick Change Gear Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

tws869

Plastic
Just picked up another machine a few weeks back. The spindle turns fine but I found the unit would stall out when trying to run power feed. Low and behold the gears are heavily corroded and I need to clean / repair. I started with dissolving the rust but still cannot free the gears, I'd like to remove the shaft but it wont budge. So as I look at the manual and what is in front of me, I'm wondering if anyone else has taken one like this apart. The manual shows that there is a keyway under the first two gears. Problem with this is that how would you get the keyway into the slot? The only thing I could see is that there is a slot cut thru the bushing / casting head to allow the keyway into the area. When you would slide the shaft into the casting and corresponding gears there is no room to have the gears slid to one side to install a keyway.

So I cannot rotate the shafts - the lower set of four gears is what I would like to remove, the two gears circled in red of the picture would be ideal to clean and then I would access and clean the other gear set. I'm reaching out to Birmingham dealers to see what parts are available - might be easiest to cut the shaft in place, drop the gears and get it all moving and make or replace the shaft assembly.

From the PBD: 18 and 40 are locked together. The 44-51 move as does 20 so the corrosion seems to be the issue between 18/40 (shafts 15/53).
Birmingham YCL-1236GH

Gearbox PBD.jpgIMG_9897.jpgIMG_9898.jpgIMG_9900.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back