What's new
What's new

Import 16" engine lathe

Cyclotronguy

Stainless
Anyone have words of wisdom to share on possible purchase of a new Namseon 16" swing manual engine lathe. Call me sheltered, I've never run one of these little imports. Lightest lathe of that swing I've ever run was a "Regal".

Cyclotronguy

Call me a smartass, but I'm not seeing what the problem is. If you know your way around a lathe, you should be able to work it out even if the controls are different. If you don't know your way around a lathe, this one could be a problem for you but so would any other you might buy.

So can you expand a little more about your apprehension with this particular machine?

Import 16" engine lathe

I too am not sure what you are actually asking
I have a 30 year old 16” Kerry branded Namseon.
I got it a couple years ago with very little use on it, the half nuts still had cosmoline on them.

It’s a very nice lathe, runs nice and smooth, takes a nice cut. Mine makes about .0006 taper over 12” on a 3.5” chunk of 6061(two collar test), I may be able to tweak that out with the headstock adjustment, but I don’t care that much.

Like lots of imports of this era , the paint is falling off the aluminum covers in places, but the new ones probably have better paint.

I’d love to have a brand new one , just because I take nice care of my stuff and this one has paint falling off it.

I wish it had a clutch.

A Wacheon would be top of my list, but you are pushing $40k with a couple chucks

Are you talking about a Mecca-turn 400x1000

Lathe- MECCA TURN 400 SERIES - NAMSUN HI-TECH CORP.

Here’s my older one, ignore the big rock in transit over it.

56891840fca98a3209f85c5dc64aa5ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I too am not sure what you are actually asking
I have a 30 year old 16” Kerry branded Namseon.
I got it a couple years ago with very little use on it, the half nuts still had cosmoline on them.

It’s a very nice lathe, runs nice and smooth, takes a nice cut. Mine makes about .0006 taper over 12” on a 3.5” chunk of 6061(two collar test), I may be able to tweak that out with the headstock adjustment, but I don’t care that much.

Like lots of imports of this era , the paint is falling off the aluminum covers in places, but the new ones probably have better paint.

I’d love to have a brand new one , just because I take nice care of my stuff and this one has paint falling off it.

I wish it had a clutch.

A Wacheon would be top of my list, but you are pushing $40k with a couple chucks

Are you talking about a Mecca-turn 400x1000

Lathe- MECCA TURN 400 SERIES - NAMSUN HI-TECH CORP.

Here’s my older one, ignore the big rock in transit over it.

56891840fca98a3209f85c5dc64aa5ab.jpg

Ripper,

You’re not joking....you do keep things CLEAN!! That thing looks like new still!!

I guess i May have misunderstood, I thought the OP was buying a new one.
If that one posted above is in nice shape , it’s definitely worth $4k

that's not a big rock. gotta love the little Harrington hoists, beats hanging a crappy 1T J*t overhead by FAR!!

yea, that lathe is in TERRIBLE shape, ill take it off your hands. all that paint falling off...:D

That might be an even better deal than it first appears. The photos show the Namseon 16 x 40 and also a Logan 12 x 36. A twofer at that price?

Not clear. first ad showed three? lathes and only had one price of $4,000. A week or so later another ad was posted with just the Nameson lathe for 6,000. I'm not really sure if these are the same seller or even the same lathes.
Bil lD

Question was purely one of "any common problematic issues" / or "words of caution" with these relatively light weight machines. OK so I know it's not a Monarch 612 or Okuma LS. That said we won't be trying to keep the amp meter pegged either.

Back