What's new
What's new

Is IMTS open to public?????????????

mh454

Plastic
I got the opportunity to go to IMTS in 2004 as a student. I would like to go again next year but doubt the company I work for would send me (not high enough on the totem poll yet). Anyways I wanted to know if you can register without being directly affiliated with a company.

Twinhit, I could answer that but first, to turn the question around, why on earth should a 5 year old attend ? IMTS is not the county fair...it's bottom line purpose is to educate and sell machine tools, not to entertain. Plus it could be a dangerous place at certain demos for a youngster that "got away" for a moment.

Yes, anyone over 18 can attend.
Might stop by to it in that case next year if I can take a couple of days off for it.

Dimitri

MH454,

You can register and there's no reason in the world you can't register under your companies name. Just be sure to put "machinist" or "operator" on your badge.

Here are my tips for getting the most out of the show, I've been involved in machine shows for 25 years and have been to nearly every one here and quite a few abroad inclusding JIMTOF and EMO.

1) Make a plan. Start working on it now. Your goal should be to leave the show smarter than when you got there. Don't be one of those clueless types that goes just to drink beer, ogle the booth babes, and get all moist in the Haas booth looking at 30 different versions of what they already have and know. Spend a couple of days if you can. Don't get me wrong, go out at night and have fun. You're young enough where you actually stand a chance of a booth babe telling you which nightclub she'll be at that night. But while the show is open attend and make the most of it.

2) Network. If you want to make a career in manufacturing it sure doesn't hurt to meet people and shake some hands. Strike up conversations. When you have lunch, don't go off and sit alone. Look for a crowded table with an open chair, ask if you can join them, introduce yourself and make conversation. Ask people what they do, what they make, how they make it, etc... Ask them what the coolest thing they saw so far was and why. Trust me, you'll learn something and maybe even meet your next employer. Tell them you took vacation time and are there on your own dime. That might get you an offer then and there.

3) Make a list of stuff you don't know. Do you know what thread whirling is? Polygon cutting? Thread rolling? Ever see an industrial laser? Do you know what a water jet is and how it works? What do you know about zero emmission vapor degreasing? How about a Swiss type CNC? Have you ever seen a gear hobber? how about a 5-axis cutter grinder? Have you ever seen an octohedral hexagon CNC mill? Make a list and learn a little bit about them all.

4) If you want to have a future in this trade you will need to know software. Schedule some demos, show up on time and drink it in.

5) Be respectful of peoples time. Some companies spend well north of a million dollars to be in the show. Their primary goal is to sell machines. Be upfront and ask if they have a few minutes to explain their machine and offer to get out of the way when a real customer shows up. Smart guys will spend time with you, but there are plenty of jerks out there too. Remember them and don't do business with them when you get into a position where you are the guy with the checkbook. It's the ultimate payback. Ignore the jerks and soak up whatever you can from the smart guys.

My $0.02 FWIW.

SwissPro,

Although you directed that advice to the original poster I'm probably about his age and will take your advice if I do end up going to the show. Thanks.

Dimitri

Dimitri:

In your posts here - you somewhat sound of wondering if "outsiders" are welcome.

It is the INTERNATIONAL Machine Tool Show or Manufacturing and Technology Show - or whatever they call the accronym next yr....

But Yanks are lucky if we are 50% of the attendance. Kroutes and Gooks are all over the place. Even an Ausy now and aggin... It really is INTERNATIONAL! They won't mind a few Canuks.

Chi Town wants your LOONIES!

Not sure if Qubecians are welcom or not tho? See'ins how Yanks are never welcomed there. LOL!

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox,

Not really wondering if outsiders are allowed or not, I don't care much about being a "outsider" only time its become a problem is when kids thought because I was the geeky new kid and they learnt not to bother me after the first confrontation.

I was wondering if these companies can stand a fresh out of college 19 year old (well I'm gonna be 20 when this show comes around next time. :D ) walking around and asking questions about their machines/products. ;)

Dimitri

I was wondering if these companies can stand a fresh out of college 19 year old (well I'm gonna be 20 when this show comes around next time. [Big Grin] ) walking around and asking questions about their machines/products. [Wink]
Be respectful of their time. as Swisspro mentioned in his #5 above... They are there to sell products and have spent BIG BUCKS to be there.
I was never bothered when young people came up and asked "dumb" (or not so dumb) questions. To me, they are the next generation of buyers, but then again, I am not a sales guy.
MOST sales guys are not concerned with the next generation, just the here and now. But if the booth is slow they will still spend time with you.

AND, don't drool on the girls in the AmeriSeiki booth. :D

Good luck!!!

10 years ago I was a 20 year old wandering around the biggest tradeshow in the country.
I had no money to spend .
Like SwissPro and others mentioned : be upfront about just being curious and step aside when potential buyers drop by.
I got the nicest and most detailed info about almost everything , most of the salespeople like people who are genuinely interested.

Twinhit, I could answer that but first, to turn the question around, why on earth should a 5 year old attend ? IMTS is not the county fair...it's bottom line purpose is to educate and sell machine tools, not to entertain. Plus it could be a dangerous place at certain demos for a youngster that "got away" for a moment.
Thanks Milacron,
It is hard for me to say "sorry son".
But I understand the safety/education issue.
I am still having a difficult time adjusting to the fact that my daughters are simply not interested in things tools and machinery.
:confused:

Twinhit,

I'm going to assume your daughters are 6-9 and if so why not get them "help you" make their Barbies (or what ever ones they are into there is apparently a few different "brands" now) a sports car in the shop, it might get them interested. ;)

Dimitri

Dimitri, My girls are teenagers 16 and 18.
I have a '58 Chevrolet Apache with a 502 BBC installed. Don't need a sports car.
Even then, all I get is an apathetic "nice Dad".
Suddenly, the truck doesn't mean anything at all.
I've dabbled in everything I could to garner some interest.
If they ever have a "how to understand women and influence your children" convention, let me know 'cause every man I talk to gives me the same "Sorry, I don't have the answer either"
hmm, Sounds like a tootsie pop commercial.

If I hear about one of those conventions I'll tell you
Thanks.
1) I'm hard of hearing, and she "mother" says I don't listen.

2) I am expected to go along with mindboggling outlandish absurdities with a smile.

3) I am not kidding.

I must be a glutton for punishment. :(
HIT ME BABY! :D

Back