What's new
What's new

Incompatible DRO Scales?

acrosteve

Aluminum
I am putting a DRO on my 2nd milling machine and ran into a bit of an issue.

The scales are not able to be read by my new DRO. The new DRO does read the scales on my other milling machine, so I believe there is no issue with it. My old DRO will not read the new scales either. I have tried various options in the setup screens but nothing seems to work.

Perhaps it's as simple as changing the pinout of the connector, but I am not sure. I purchased them back in February, and have contacted the seller, but no response yet.

Looking at the data from the ebay listings, I think the problem is the DRO is EIA-422 and the scales are RS232. Would it be as simple as just switching some wires in the connectors on the scales?

Thanks

The DRO is this one

It shows the comm parameters for the DRO
⭐⭐⭐Signal of Digital Readout 9Pin TTL :

1---Empty
2--0V
3--Empty
4--Shield
5--Empty
6--A
7--+5V
8--B
9--R

NOTE: REESON DRO WITH TTL Signal (TTL Signal /EIA-422 Signal Linear Scale all can work with TTL Digital Readout )

And these are the scales. The only describe the interface as Linear Scale Interface: DB9(RS232)

Looks like I was unable to link to the ebay items, so I edited my post.

the DRO is 192822714259

and the scales are 164316357410

Thanks

I can't help you - I use two of those Ditron D80 DRO displays (3 & 4 axis) but I bought the scales with the display.

Unless you **really** need 1μm, I would suggest going with 5μm scales. My very limited experience (limited to the Ditron, badged as Reeson, magnetic scales) is that the 5μm scale / reader head allows for a magnetic gap of up to 1mm with a steady reliable measurement. The 1μm scales require the reader head to be pretty much in direct contact (rubbing) on the scale to avoid a potential momentary drop out - one that you will not be aware of unless you happen to be looking at the LED on the reader head.

rs232 422 are serial data interfaces, odd if they use those for scales

[edit]
They are different brands, sony scales don't work on heidenhain etc

they are cheaper than dirt, buy the whole setup from the same dealer

There are RS232/422 scales.
The Mits super low end scales that look like calipers talk in a serial data stream all of their own.

Most scales are quad output A,B,and I.
Higher accuracy are normally sine wave, others square wave. Sine wave needs more brains in the box but can handle speed better.
Now lets add the signal voltage, single or diff and if centered or all above zero volts.
You end up with a huge number of possible variations and then signal spacing.
Mixing and matching is very difficult. On needs to know both ends.

Sometimes a interface box works but who wants to spend $400+ per axis to match signals.
Mits and Heidenhain sell these to match their scales to a "normal" cnc controller or counter box and I have built some myself.

A rabbit hole with so many tunnels. Unless you are electronics nut with a lot of time to spend not sleeping buy matching.
On the other side some of us loonies find it a challenge so we jump into the hole. Scale does this, box wants this or that. How to make them talk friendly.

Pinouts not standard and sometimes a simple rewire or rewire and a couple of resistors works.
A: a done this exact thing net answer to your problem. B: come on down the rabbit hole. C: scrap one end of the system and buy one source.
Bob

Back