What's new
What's new

Indexable ball mill / copy mill suggestions

Hardplates

Stainless
Just like the title says. I'm in need of something in the 1/2" to 5/8" Not to pricy, not to cheap. Looking for the Goldilocks effect, just right. Yes I know its kind of vague but I'm looking to hear your opinions and suggestions since none of my fiends do 3d profiling.

what is an Iscar Dropball?

Dropmill. Apparently I made up a name in my mind when thinking dropmill and ball nose haha. Unfortunately I have been unable to locate a local tooling supplier that wants to give me competitive pricing due to my small volume, so I have been forced to procure tooling via mail-order. I'm all ears if you think you know of someone localish to the Bloomsburg, PA area.

did you check the link that i posted yesterday? if you can help with the exact item you need, i can see what list pricing would be.

sorry to say, volume discounts are the norm in this industry, sad but it has been this way for decades and will probably always be that way too

Unfortunately when I make the same part as the "big guy" I can't charge more but everyone expects me to pay more. This has forced me to shop ebay and monthly sales of some one the mail order suppliers. The 1/2" proball 1BW7T looks interesting. I would be curious what that goes for as well as a general purpose grade of insert for steel.

Why does that Ingersoll not look center-cutting in the picture? I have only used Dapra cutters as far as ball nosed is concerned. The thing I like about them both cutting flutes are a part of the same insert. You don't have to worry about putting multiple inserts in and having them seat perfectly. The negative side of Dapra is you need a lot more force on the screw to keep the insert in place compared to other tool holders.

Why does that Ingersoll not look center-cutting in the picture? I have only used Dapra cutters as far as ball nosed is concerned. The thing I like about them both cutting flutes are a part of the same insert. You don't have to worry about putting multiple inserts in and having them seat perfectly. The negative side of Dapra is you need a lot more force on the screw to keep the insert in place compared to other tool holders.
In a nut shell, the spotting of the inserts In diameters 1.25 in and smaller have excellent freer shearing characteristic than many indexable roughing ball nose on the market. The trade off is the tools ability to center cut. This should not be any issue for most applications. Also, note the entire line is marketed as a rougher and can also be used as a good semi/finisher. Ramping in during stock entry, which is optimal, should always be used entry anyways.

is the OP looking for a finisher only type of tool??

I have a mix of Dapra solid carbide holders like on one of the previous posts, also a full set of LMT Fette. I like the Dapra better, however the inserts are interchangeable. I have so many holders and inserts that I will probably never change from the Dapra's in my years left. I did however do a rather extensive test of other manufactures insertable tooling for the ball size you mention, and the DiJet mirror ball performed the best, (finish, accuracy, tool life). I only have one DiJet in a 10mm dia ball and it will outrun the Fette, Dapra, Mits, Osg (Pheonix) Millstar, and a few other I've tried.

I have a mix of Dapra solid carbide holders like on one of the previous posts, also a full set of LMT Fette. I like the Dapra better, however the inserts are interchangeable. I have so many holders and inserts that I will probably never change from the Dapra's in my years left. I did however do a rather extensive test of other manufactures insertable tooling for the ball size you mention, and the DiJet mirror ball performed the best, (finish, accuracy, tool life). I only have one DiJet in a 10mm dia ball and it will outrun the Fette, Dapra, Mits, Osg (Pheonix) Millstar, and a few other I've tried.

Thanks, that the kind of info I was looking for. So far the Iscar Dropmill is performing well and leaving a pretty nice finish considering I'm running it at .010" per tooth.

Back