What's new
What's new

Indexable Carbide Turning Tool not cutting

Asus

Aluminum
Some years ago I brought one set of Accusize and one set of Anytime Indexable Carbide Turning Tool.
Tried it a few times and it is not cutting.
It is burnishing brass, not even scratching steel.

I left it for some time at one corner and now is back to try it again.
Maybe i have done something wrong, maybe it is the speed.
I don't know.

I am able to cut anything with the tool bits i grinded, but it is frustrating that i can't use the indexable carbide turning tool.
I searched on the internet, there is so far nobody that has the same problem i am facing.
So probably the problems lies on me.

Is there something, or should there be something different in the application when i use the indexable carbide turning tool compared to a normal HSS grind tool bit ? :confused:

Some years ago I brought one set of Accusize and one set of Anytime Indexable Carbide Turning Tool.
Tried it a few times and it is not cutting.
It is burnishing brass, not even scratching steel.

I left it for some time at one corner and now is back to try it again.
Maybe i have done something wrong, maybe it is the speed.
I don't know.

I am able to cut anything with the tool bits i grinded, but it is frustrating that i can't use the indexable carbide turning tool.
I searched on the internet, there is so far nobody that has the same problem i am facing.
So probably the problems lies on me.

Is there something, or should there be something different in the application when i use the indexable carbide turning tool compared to a normal HSS grind tool bit ? :confused:

Please post some pix of your set up.

The most likely problem is your toolbit is set to high. Make sure it is below center for turning outside diameters, above center for boring.

I think i have aligned the insert tool cutting edge on the center, same as other tool bits.
But i will take some photos to show.

Keep in mind that you should be within a few thou ideally. The best way I have found to center a tool is face off a part and then jog the tool tip right up against the tit at the center of the part. Use a magnifying glass or eye loupe and you can get it really close.

Are you sure you have a carbide insert, and not a carbide insert seat, which is simply there to hold the insert at the correct level?

I've seen people try to cut with the seats before.

One of these POS sets?

Anytime Tools 5 Piece 1/2" Lathe Indexable Carbide Insert Tool Bit Set: Indexable Insert Holders: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

You've probably just got some heavily honed inserts. Can you peel a little
slice off your fingernail with them?

First thing I would do is get some new inserts that are meant for what you are doing.

Also, if it is those holders, just toss them in the garbage, they suck.
Insert is only supported on one edge, and the screws are junk. You will
only use one of the holders, and end up stealing the screws out of the other 4.

I would suggest trying something like this before you give up on "carbide". I think
you will be very pleasantly surprised.

HOBBY LATHE KIT

I have the 3/4" Borite version of the anytime set linked. It came with my lathe. I have both HSS and carbide inserts for it. They will both cut steel quite handily. I now use carbide inserts in these Borite holders for almost all of my roughing and most of my finishing cuts. Burned a corner off a HHS insert this evening on an interrupted cut, and finished up with carbide. HSS inserts and tooling has been climbing my list of bad investments, but then I have the mass and rigidity to use carbide and experience the benefit over HHS.

What kind of lathe (shaped object) are you using?

I also have 3/4" version of the Hobby Tool linked. Very good tools, better than the Borite, but the inserts only offer 2 cutting corners. I use for facing, and occasional finishing cuts. If I was starting over from ground zero, I'd look hard at W (trigon) insert tooling.

MQ5xevJ.jpg

Vw9HICU.jpg

Attachments

• MQ5xevJ.jpg
    MQ5xevJ.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 37
Your picture shows your cutting tool above center. Not much, but it doesn't take much. Your tool will cut fine .050 below center, and not cut well at all .005 above center. The insert you show has a honed edge, not sharp. You want sharp tooling for that small diameter stuff. High speed steel is fine, you can't get the surface speed fast enough to burn the steel.

Your tool geometry sucks for what you are doing, and you would be a LOT better off with a sharp HSS tool at that cutting speed.

The small diameter part wobbling around like that without cutting, is an almost sure fire way to waste the cutting edge. Take a look at it (the cutting edge) with as powerful a hand lens as you can come up with, and I'd bet it's chipped off. Unless it was so dull, as made, that it is tough as blazes, but requires a minimum of a 50 thou or so cut at high feed/speed to actually work (you can look THAT info up in the tooling catalog, learn to read the charts relating to cutting conditions!)

If you carefully pinch a thin rule or similar straight piece of thin metal between the outside diameter of the work and the tool tip, you can see pretty accurately if you are above or below center by the direction the rule tilts. Ideally, straight up and down, top tilted away from you is above center, top towards you is below. Below is better than above, Usually.

I see three things wrong
Your tool holder is so far to the left, that it would tend to rock your compound so cause chatter if you could make a cut..
That insert has so little clearance when it should have 5* or more. (looks like 2* from here.)
You are set high to center line of your part.

I can't tell how sharp so you might try to shave your finger nail with the cutting edge, to see if it is sharp but that is not the main problem....

Your picture shows your cutting tool above center. Not much, but it doesn't take much. Your tool will cut fine .050 below center, and not cut well at all .005 above center. The insert you show has a honed edge, not sharp. You want sharp tooling for that small diameter stuff. High speed steel is fine, you can't get the surface speed fast enough to burn the steel.

Maybe worth mention that ”honed” in above context(carbide inserts) means rounded or dull edge. And if talking about HSS tools its more likely refers to the opposite, ie honed to razor sharp.

Insert shown is not suitable for light cuts. If the lathe is old small lathe it may lack needed horsepower to get in the preferred chip thickness and speed.

Back