What's new
What's new

Indexer calls for rare iso 260 oil

Cannonmn

Stainless
Indexer on Nakamura Slant Jr. Turning center calls for iso 260 oil. Can’t find that. Best substitute? I have iso 220, can I use that?

Be careful using "gear oil" if not specifically called for.
Automotive gear oils (GL5) that have EP additives contain sulfur compounds that will cause trouble with any bronze internals....

Cheers Ross

ISO 260 is compressor oil. Try the local shops that service air compressors and see if you can get it.

Or call the manufacturer of the machine and see what they recommend as a suitable alternative.

ISO 260 is compressor oil. Try the local shops that service air compressors and see if you can get it.

Or call the manufacturer of the machine and see what they recommend as a suitable alternative.

Thx, have compressor oil, synthetic as I recall, didn’t think to check the iso, will do tomorrow.

Be careful using "gear oil" if not specifically called for.
Automotive gear oils (GL5) that have EP additives contain sulfur compounds that will cause trouble with any bronze internals....

Cheers Ross

Thx, yes we have some 90 wt gear oil and it really stinks, must be that sulfur.

The old wives tale about gear oils containing sulfur attacking bronze/brass needs to stop. Yes it can cause problems but only at temps above 300 degrees. If your running things that hot you have bigger problems. I and many other people have used these oils for many years in gearboxes containing bronze with zero problems. Also many newer GL5 oils today are designed to not attack bronze/brass at even these high temperatures. If you talk to the oil company reps about this problem they will tell you to not use GL5 if bronze/brass is present but they will admit they are being cautious as they have no clue what temp you will be running at and better safe than sorry.

Ok I talked to a Mobil tech guy who had some notes wn oil needed for an NMT-20 Slant Jr. Turning center. That sounds a bit like my machine but I’ve never seen those alphanumeric tied to it. Anyway the one he’s got very old notes on is definitely a Nakamura-Tome product.

He has four lubricants identified for various parts of the machine.

1. The one I can eliminate right away is Vactra 2 which will go in the small way-lube pump.

2. DTE light, I don’t know, but his notes say it is the circulating hydraulic fluid. So definitely not for indexer.

The two other oils are both tied to “other” parts of the machine, not further identified. Btw he says there’s no such thing as ISO 260 oil, that number in the manual must be a typo. Possible, I’ve found many other errors in the text, mostly numbers.

Lube no. 3 in his notes, for “other” is for “reservoir” Mobilgear 600xp320.

Lube no. 4, also for “other” is for “oil bath” DTE BB 220.

So the indexer is a sealed independent unit with no oil lines in or out. Does this sound like “oil bath?” If u want to see the indexer I can post photo or video.

Original label reads “gear oil.” Doesn’t really smell like sulfur, but maybe like an animal that’s been dead for a couple weeks.

There was (or maybe still is) a sulfur additive. I think it was called "Sulflow" or something like that, was made to add to oil.
Could be....someone was playing chemist.

Last edited:
Well I answered my own question by reading the manual more carefully, I should done that about a week ago. For the indexer, item 3, Obviously iso 220 is called for, one alternate says 220 specifically, and Mobil 630 (now surnamed SHC) is also iso 220.

Flickr: Page Not Found

Well I answered my own question by reading the manual more carefully, I should done that about a week ago. For the indexer, item 3, Obviously iso 220 is called for, one alternate says 220 specifically, and Mobil 630 (now surnamed SHC) is also iso 220.

Flickr: Page Not Found

That page does mention "ISO VG 260". When I google on just that, a bunch of compressor oils come up. The "220" in that block may or may not be an ISO viscosity.

That page does mention "ISO VG 260". When I google on just that, a bunch of compressor oils come up. The "220" in that block may or may not be an ISO viscosity.

Thx, having looked up both substitutes listed in the manual, they are both still available and are both iso 220. The Mobil 630 has iso 220 printed on the container, and in this product catalog of the shell products it is clear the various product names contain the respective ISO’s.

https://www.hollandindustrial.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/197/2014/12/Shell-Omala-Oils.pdf

imho people get much too obsessed about kinematic viscosity at 40°c, as if it was the only property of oil. its not even the most important property, e.g. it tells you nothing about lubricity. it basically tells you how fast that oil will flow through a funnel. did you know that vg 260 would be around vg 20 at 100°c?

Thx, having looked up both substitutes listed in the manual, they are both still available and are both iso 220. The Mobil 630 has iso 220 printed on the container, and in this product catalog of the shell products it is clear the various product names contain the respective ISO’s.

https://www.hollandindustrial.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/197/2014/12/Shell-Omala-Oils.pdf

The Omala oils do look suitable for an indexer. I doubt that it's necessary to mix oils to achieve exactly 260. And indexers probably don't run at 40 C.

Back