What's new
What's new

Induma 2/U or K & H model H horizontal?

woodsrider845

Hot Rolled
Induma 2/U or K & T model H horizontal?

The induma comes with a vert. head, missing the hold down gib, 2 arbor supports, arbor or two, and a few cutters. And it's a universal, which is appealing.

Figure I can make the gib on the mill, right?

The K&T has arbor supports and possibly a few arbors, nothing else.

They are both the same price, the Induma is a 56, and the K&H (i believe) is a 46.

Any opinions, advice or comments regarding which way I should go?

Any other solid possibly tooled up horizontals in the NY, NJ, Pa area?

Last edited:
K & H ? Do you mean a K & T ? I'd always go for a vertical machine over a horizontal machine all other things being equal. Having said that age and condition are everything. A photo or two would be a blessing.

Regards Tyrone.

Induma's are good mills, but parts and support of any kind are non-existent here in the states. I actually scrapped one last year. Too much wrong that would involve too much custom fabrication and not enough experienced minds that could tell me what to adjust and how to make it work.

K&T are even better mills (IMO), and you might find some parts in old inventories, but more importantly there are tons of guys everywhere that are familiar with them. Our K&T 2H is a clapped out piece, but it's still kick'n strong with no signs of stopping and there's LOADS if info online of guys who have fixed and re-manufactured various parts to keep them running.

Objectively speaking, a working Induma with extras will be worth more than the K&T without the extras, UNTIL something goes wrong.

Would you take a gamble on one for less than a grand?

I think either would be worth a shot. It just comes down to how you want to spend your time. Personally I would go for the K&T and buy any attachments I can as needed (which is what I've had to do with mine). There are ways to work around not having a vertical head or an indexer, but a dead spindle is a dead spindle, so having some public support when you are stuck is helpful.

The Induma could never give you an ounce of grief. I've read about guys running and loving them. They are well built and do what's needed, and they can be repaired the same as any other machine, provided you don't mind the possibility of going it alone. The one I scrapped had multiple gear train issues in the knee, missing side panels, and all that was AFTER I had a heck of a time rewiring it so I could actually fire it up, so the mill kinda burned me out. My K&T has needed work too, but It's never been dead on the floor and it's been a lot more satisfying to see it keep running. To be fair, I'm biased towards old American iron, but that's been my experience.

I think either would be worth a shot. It just comes down to how you want to spend your time. Personally I would go for the K&T and buy any attachments I can as needed (which is what I've had to do with mine). There are ways to work around not having a vertical head or an indexer, but a dead spindle is a dead spindle, so having some public support when you are stuck is helpful.

The Induma could never give you an ounce of grief. I've read about guys running and loving them. They are well built and do what's needed, and they can be repaired the same as any other machine, provided you don't mind the possibility of going it alone. The one I scrapped had multiple gear train issues in the knee, missing side panels, and all that was AFTER I had a heck of a time rewiring it so I could actually fire it up, so the mill kinda burned me out. My K&T has needed work too, but It's never been dead on the floor and it's been a lot more satisfying to see it keep running. To be fair, I'm biased towards old American iron, but that's been my experience.

I think that particular induma has been for sale for a long
time. Maybe that would make for easier negotiation.

There was also a member selling a pair of k&t’s in or around
penn State, I think he was starting to part them out.

K&T 2H Universal and 2CH, Central PA

As far as the vertical head, I already have a j head, an index 745, and a gorton 9j, along with a boss style series I interact, so that's not a problem. Just though it would be cool to hog with a 2" end mill.....:eek:

As far as the induma, seller does not communicate well. One word answers, and will not budge on the price. I'd be surprised if he's not just some flipper with a warehouse and 0 knowledge of anything useful. I did get it out of him that he has no way to load, but never got an answer as to its running condition.

The K&T is a good deal, before the 2.5 hour one way drive, and the fact that he also has no way to load. He also seems to think it's gold, and everyone wants it, despite the fact that they have to bring their own rigger.

We shall see, wabbit. We shall see.

The photographs aren't the greatest. From what I've seen and read neither of them appear to be ideal. What's the chances of something more suitable turning up if you keep looking ?

Regards Tyrone.

For reference, I picked up a K&T 2H (? I think?) for $100 at the state surplus auction. It did not have any arbor supports (other than the two round bars), nor any tooling other than a 50-to-40 taper adapter. But it runs smoothly. And did I mention $100?

I don't actually have room for it, so it is currently sitting in a friend's shop. One of the these days I will figure out how to shoehorn it in at my place.

I bought this several years ago, so maybe the market has changed, but at the time it was hard to give these away; mine was not the only horizontal that I saw going for the $100 range.

So I just heard from the K&T owner. He has 2 arbors and 1 arbor support. He's right around 7 bills.

What says youse????

Would you go for it?

Back