What's new
What's new

Induma milling machines??

Jason280

Aluminum
I recently picked up an Induma milling machine, which I assume is a 1-S...

20190519_150648_jpeg-952575.JPG

20190520_111236_jpg-953578.JPG

20190520_111243_jpg-953579.JPG

20190520_111251_jpg-953580.JPG

Most of my research has suggested its an Italian Bridgeport J head clone, albeit a little beefier in some respects. I've never owned a Bridgeport, so I have no way to compare, but this one is pretty heavy.

I was able to get it cheaply, but it does have a few quirks. The power feed needs some adjustment, and the Newall DRO is only reading "0.0000". Its missing the fine adjustment wheel for the quill, but the biggest issue is its currently stuck in low gear. I've found a few online manuals for Bridgeport J heads, but I am not sure how similar the two are.

Anyone used both machines, and is the head tear down basically the same? I've located an actual Induma manual on eBay, but at only 45 pages, I am a little curious how much help it will actually be. I don't mind spending the money on the manual, but not if the information is limited.

Thanks!

For those with Bridgeport or similar machines, what type fine adjust wheel will fit here? I can't tell if it's a proprietary wheel used only on Indumas, or if I can maybe retrofit a generic Bridgeport wheel.

20190524_081558_jpg-956422.JPG

20190524_081610_jpg-956423.JPG

That doesn't look like a bridgeport wheel will fit, but if it was me I'd get a generic hand wheel from McMaster or similar supply company and machine it to fit. Keep it removable, and try to avoid blocking the head tramming bolts.

Nothing special about the fine feed handwheel. Basically anything dished of a suitable diameter with a hub big enough to drill for the drive pin will do. If you are lucky you might find one you like with the right size hole in the middle. The one I put on my Bridgeport is about 5" diameter with 1" (ish) dish. Most of the supplies have far too many variants on offer! Bridgeport one won't do as the pin is in the handle and the hole on the machine side.

Friend bought a Bridgeport that was cheap due to being stuck in low gear. The owner reckoned the fault was near terminal as he couldn't fix it. Turned out the pin linking selector handle to mechanism was broken. Easy fix. Problem due to a cheap split, single turn roll pin being put in at sometime in the past which wasn't up to the job. First crushing then breaking. Not in favour of ordinary roll-pins on this sort of duty. Had to extract far too many failed or distorted ones. I usually put a solid pin in but suspect the coiled "spirol" type might be up to the job. I'd probably use them if I had stock but a comprehensive assortment isn't cheap.

Clive

Last edited:
For those with Bridgeport or similar machines, what type fine adjust wheel will fit here? I can't tell if it's a proprietary wheel used only on Indumas, or if I can maybe retrofit a generic Bridgeport wheel.

20190524_081558_jpg-956422.JPG

20190524_081610_jpg-956423.JPG

there is a reason all those hand wheels are missing, they are taken off the machine and forgotten about.
mine was missing, i made one, and never used it....

got one
BP fine feed wheel fits, both parts have male pins protruding from them, so you've got a full turn of slop before the pins butt, but it works fine for me

one thing you'll notice that's 'below' a bridgeport is that the leadscrew nuts are not lash adjustable

I may be getting one next week. I found this last night:

Induma 1-S.pdf - Google Drive

If i get it I'll start a forum somewhere, these seem to need a community.

I've just brought home the table and knee from one. I should be getting the rest next week. The remaining pieces are too heavy for my Tacoma and I'm getting a guy with a trailer to load it up.

From what I've seen disassembling it to transport it, it seems to be a well built machine. Heavier than a Bridgeport which I've also torn completely down, cleaned and re-assembled. All hardware is metric.

Ted

Can anyone tell me the clearance height needed for the induma vertical mill? I found one and the guy can't turn the head upright to give me an accurate measurement. I have a low ceiling where it needs to go.

I bought it, and will just hope I can make it fit. I am looking to connect with other owners. I want to have a dedicated group somewhere, and i started one on Facebook, not because it's great but because it's easy. If you search for it you'll find it. Let me know if you know of any other one. Mine is missing the knee crank so I'm hoping someone can provide info on that.

Back