What's new
What's new

Industrial Insert Toolholders Questions

ClappedOutBport

Cast Iron
Hi guys, rookie questions here so I apologies in advance.

I have two 1" toolholders I would like to put to use. I've tried to a bit research so I'm not asking frivolously, but I couldn't find all the answers. One is an MWLNR with a 1/2" IC. No brand name or other identification. I know what type of inserts it requires, but I don't have the seat, clamp, clamp screw or seat screw. I've looked at some other holders with the same designation and it seems like they all have slightly different pocket designs and use different clamps. Can anyone advise me on how to find out what I need?

The second holder is a Valenite Top Notch holder. Similar to the one here.
The insert specifications look just like these Kennametal insert specs here but I wanted to double check that they are not proprietary and compatible with standard inserts before I waste a bunch of money.

Thanks!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Look up manufacturer literature starting with the exact number (from the pic above, that would be VLSR 164D). All the seats, clamps etc. will be called out in there. And the good news is that those seats etc are usually standard, so if you have the number you can buy them made by anyone.

BTW I stay away from Valenite indexable tooling.

metalmagpie

Hi mag.

Thanks. The VLSR is good to go, it's brand new, but the MWLNR 16-4 is the issue. That's all I have to go by. I'm assuming it's Chinese by the lack branding.

What's the issue with Valenite? Service?

Unless you have a real bastard the MWLNR should take a WSN-433 seat, a CL-9 clamp, XNS-59 clamp screw and a NL-46 lock pin.
Valenite and Kennametal inserts on the top notch are interchangeable and the same.
Sandvik "top-lock" the same size but are different in clamping which was done to get around the patent.

Unless you have a real bastard the MWLNR should take a WSN-433 seat, a CL-9 clamp, XNS-59 clamp screw and a NL-46 lock pin.
Valenite and Kennametal inserts on the top notch are interchangeable and the same.
Sandvik "top-lock" the same size but are different in clamping which was done to get around the patent.

Bob, You. Are. The. Man. Thanks so much! I guess you aren't "CarbideBob" for nothing.

Is there any little book or guide with this information in it, or is this just knowledge you've gained after years of experience? I'm sure I'll run across more old holders and don't want be making threads like a broken record.

Back