What's new
What's new

Influenza shot reminder

Totally agree with you on getting flu shot. Last year I’m pretty sure we lost one or two regular posters of PM to the flu. That was a a wake up call for me. Between that and watching some PBS stuff about flu epidemics... probably a Frontline special... I’m now a regular at getting flu shots yearly.

Got mine already. My shop does them for free. Cheaper to pay for the shop to get shots than to have half the shop out with the flu.

Now if we could get an immunization against affluenza...

Had my yearly meeting at the company clinic to go over my bloodwork from my yearly physical last week.

Finished up, he asked if I'd had a flu shot yet. Told him I missed the walk in clinic they did in one of the meeting rooms.

His assistant came in 2 minutes later and doped me up. I live in an immunocompromised home, both the little lady and the kiddo have reduced immune systems, and the flu shot is contraindicated for both of them. Figure it can't hurt their chances if I get mine done.

You should also get the improved pneumonia shot and if over 50 or so the improved shingles shot.
My mother in law got shingles and it was terrible and long lasting. She sprayed herself with bug spray thinking she had ants on her body. This lasted about 6 months or more.

I had mine booked at the pharmacy. Visited the doctor on an unrelated matter and he didn't want to let me go without one, so he did it there and then! When I got home I phoned the pharmacy and stood them down. Well worth getting the shot.

George

Never had any info about flu jab even tho I'm now 65. Did get my Aortic Aneurism check done-at least I know I won't die from one of those!

I had the benefit living next to an old foundryman who described the flu epedimic. All assemblies were closed. That included churches and movie houses. He told me that everyone went to work and went straight home with minimum detours for necessities.
Even in this time many thousands die from complications.
Really in this age a flu shot is smart as is shingles and pneumonia. The pneumonia shot is often recommended for older people. Last but no least is a booster shot for tetanus. It is rare but does happen. My wife was an RN and had a resident fall. She was sent to the emergency which was close by and had her arm dressed but she refused the tetanus shot. Lock jaw is a terrible way to die. The lady didn't make it.

I had the benefit living next to an old foundryman who described the flu epedimic. All assemblies were closed. That included churches and movie houses. He told me that everyone went to work and went straight home with minimum detours for necessities.

My paternal Grandfather (1896 - 1981) told me more or less the same thing (over the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918 - 20) where anyone with any sense reduced human contact to the essential bare minimum, ………………..and prayed!

And when you do get influenza, you'll realize why you should have got the vaccination!

It's the young guys with super immune systems that really get hammered by the flu virus. Look up "cytokine storm" for a laugh.

New shingles vaccine is a two part item. Local area has had multiple hepatitis A outbreaks in resturaunts. GP suggested the
hep A vaccine so I did that as well.

Back