Influenza shot reminder - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    You should also get the improved pneumonia shot and if over 50 or so the improved shingles shot.
    My mother in law got shingles and it was terrible and long lasting. She sprayed herself with bug spray thinking she had ants on her body. This lasted about 6 months or more.
    Brother in law was diagnosed with shingles recently, after a week or two of steady deterioration and finally barely being able to make it to the emergency department of the hospital, the red blotches turned out to be acute leukaemia.

Live here within a couple of miles of a former quarantine area for overseas arrivals. There's hundreds of bodies buried on site, from the early 19th century epidemics going into the 20th century with the Flu. The very poignant remembrances carved into the soft sandstone by family members of presumably young, fit people who succumbed to the Spanish version, might give me cause to doubt an immunity based on living a pure, healthy life.

Limy you silly prick, you're six months too late for winter here!!

2. Likes Limy Sami, Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't use a product where the manufacturers are shielded from liability by federal law. That doesn't sound like an industry that has confidence in its products.

Supreme court upholds liability shield for vaccine manufacturers

4. Likes Hardplates liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I only found out a while ago my great grandfather died in the flu epidemic of 1919......I got a notice from the Council cemetary (100 year rule) asking for thousands to restore what turned out to be a mass grave of victims....I declined......When I looked up his funeral notice,I see that as public gatherings were prohibited,there was no funeral,just a notice.

6. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm seriously thinking of getting a measles shot after it was proven to damage your immune system on two different ways:

Measles wipes out immune system's memory, study finds | Science | The Guardian

For years now scientist have theorized that increased deaths after a measles outbreak were caused by the disease.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Straightedge View Post
    I wouldn't use a product where the manufacturers are shielded from liability by federal law. That doesn't sound like an industry that has confidence in its products.

It’s not as sinister as it may seem. If companies were held liable for all reactions that stem from vaccines, we would be in serious danger of having no vaccines made. If we did continue to have them, the price would be much much higher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by medsar View Post
    It’s not as sinister as it may seem. If companies were held liable for all reactions that stem from vaccines, we would be in serious danger of having no vaccines made. If we did continue to have them, the price would be much much higher.
    So by that logic...If car companies were held liable for all design flaws that stem from auto manufacture, we would be in serious danger of having no cars made. If we did continue to have them, the price would be much much higher.

I guess that's why cars are so rare.

10. Likes neilho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To be the contrarian...

Flu shots are worthless and the whole flu shot industry is just a scam to make money off the ignorance and fear of the population.

The great varieties of flu viruses which count into the millions are such that there is no reliable way to make an effective vaccine against them, and in fact even isolating a handful of these viruses is difficult.

The whole "seasonal flu" idea whereby some particular virus appears regularly every year is just a ridiculous myth. The purpose of the "seasonal" flu is just to fool people into going back and getting shots every year so the drug companies can get a regular income. If they thought they could convince people there was a "monthly flu", they would do that.

12. Likes Hardplates liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jscpm View Post
    To be the contrarian...

Flu shots are worthless and the whole flu shot industry is just a scam to make money off the ignorance and fear of the population.

The great varieties of flu viruses which count into the millions are such that there is no reliable way to make an effective vaccine against them, and in fact even isolating a handful of these viruses is difficult.

The whole "seasonal flu" idea whereby some particular virus appears regularly every year is just a ridiculous myth. The purpose of the "seasonal" flu is just to fool people into going back and getting shots every year so the drug companies can get a regular income. If they thought they could convince people there was a "monthly flu", they would do that.

Well, for the contrarians and other conspiracy theorists: this is one dandy conspiracy---the mother of all conspiracies if you will. Because somehow the evil drug companies have convinced the entire World's heathcare systems to go along with their little scheme. I mean even those countries with free health care and/or under (OMG!) commie dictatorships still seem to believe the myth that the theorists have cunningly seen through. Never mind that the conspiracists have no data (of course the conspiracists know it is all kept under wraps by THEM).

A perfect example of the lengths that THEY will go through to deceive the World is our own US Center for Disease Control. They cook up all this elaborate scam data showing clearly the yearly incidence of influenza, the safety and claercut effectiveness of the vaccine (yes most years very effective and some years not as much---like last year) and the incidence---minuscule of significant adverse reactions. They even went so far as to send me large numbers of flu patients (obviously faking the fevers I measured and pneumonias and other complications) every year in the months of roughly December through March. They did all that for every primary care physician I ever talked to. Now that is an elaborate ruse. But when millions are at stake nothing is too difficult or costly or hard to believe. Those evil-doers!

Congratulations to the conspiracy theorists, who by simple dint of their superior intellect and suspicious nature (no scientific studies needed) can see through this scam. By all means, spread the word and save the World from this vicious, self-serving scam. Stop all those idiotic doctors who only went through, at a minimum, 7 years of post-graduate training and who on average have about 15 to 18 year's practice experience each. (I, for example, had 33 years practice experience after I got my BS in Physics, followed by 4 years for my MD and then 3 years residency training) I mean, what does that lot know compared with a bona fide conspiracy theorist?!

Thank you for you insights.
    Denis

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Problem with a vaccine is that any bad reactions are for folks who have not had a vaccine shot before. This means most victims of a bad reaction are cute young kids. The kind juries love. So if one in one million shots a patient has a bad reaction and dies.
    Say they make 10 dollars profit per shot, before insurance. They lose one kid per million shot and pay out 10 million dollars to parents in lawsuit. Why should they stay in business?
    They say any birth control method, including condoms, kills far fewer women then pregnancy does. But they still get sued and pull products off the market.
    Bil lD.
    US pregnancy death rate is 9.1 per 100,000. This is at least ten times higher then birth control side effects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jscpm View Post
    to be the contrarian...

fucking bollox

16. Likes SAG 180, Mark Rand, camscan, BillE, triumph406 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TedinNorfolk View Post
    Never had any info about flu jab even tho I'm now 65. Did get my Aortic Aneurism check done-at least I know I won't die from one of those!
    My surgery had big signs in the front window and in the waiting room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    fucking bollox
    Ah, Sami, you stated in just two words more clearly and far more concisely what I meant to say! ;-)

Denis

19. Likes Limy Sami, TeachMePlease, triumph406 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny that Dr. Foster's response starts with a strawman and ends with an appeal to authority, both of which might be effective rhetoric but are logical fallacies. You'd think a guy with all that education could do better.

To everyone else, turn off your TVs, stop buying into the fear, and start doing your own research.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny that Dr. Foster's response starts with a strawman and ends with an appeal to authority, both of which might be effective rhetoric but are logical fallacies. You'd think a guy with all that education could do better.

To everyone else, turn off your TVs, stop buying into the fear, and start doing your own research.
    You must have read a post that I (and a few others) must have missed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Aw, what a cute response. The fallacies are plain as day to anyone who has studied basic logic.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought the conspiracy theorist accusation was pretty good, should have called everyone that didn't agree racists too, neither have any teeth anymore

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    The very poignant remembrances carved into the soft sandstone by family members of presumably young, fit people who succumbed to the Spanish version, might give me cause to doubt an immunity based on living a pure, healthy life.
    Again, a common misconception. Influenza often kills young folks with extremely strong immune systems. The reaction to the
    virus can be a "cytokine storm" that causes so much damage to respiratory system that bacterial pneumonia comes in with a
    vengeance. This actually happend to my wife a few years ago. Flu, recovery, next day, hospitalized with pneumonia.

Cytokine release syndrome - Wikipedia

25. Likes BillE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I might not agree 100% with Jscpm but I usually google "flu vaccine effectiveness" this time of year.

Last Flu Season's Vaccine Only 29% Effective: CDC

"June 28, 2019 -- The overall effectiveness of last flu season's vaccine was only 29% because it didn't protect against a flu virus that appeared later in the season, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

Chuck
    Burbank, CA

27. Likes Mike1974, James H Clark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got the shot a couple of times. Got sick a couple of times. Live in a rural area. Really don't do crowds. Vaccine only marginally effective anyway. Whenever the mob chants "DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!" I usually pass. Think I will...........Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The CDCs allegation that the vaccine is "marginally" effective is just nonsense. The "seasonal" vaccine that is typically sold is statistically worthless. As I said previously there are MILLIONS of H1 type viruses, and in fact your body is already infected with thousands if not 10s of thousands of H1 type viruses. The whole idea that you need some vaccine for some one or other H1 virus out of the millions that exist in nature is absurd. It is just a commercial enterprise designed to separate the ignorant from their money.