Info about this Kurt vise - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought it was a legitimate question. WTF?
    At least it didn't go off on politics. (yet)

2. Likes Mike1974, Archer322, M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 360427 View Post
    This is "supposed" to be a forum for professional machinists. Not collectors or hobbyists. In my opinion, if we allow this type of thread to be unchecked, the forum will morph in to something it was never meant to be.
    How did you get hobbyist from this? Most hobbyist would not know or care if it was a Kurt vise, they would be too busy asking about their home made cnc plasma table and what is the best billet to use.

4. Likes Archer322, Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is "supposed" to be a forum for professional machinists. Not collectors or hobbyists. In my opinion, if we allow this type of thread to be unchecked, the forum will morph in to something it was never meant to be.
    I'm sorry, reading the titles of other threads makes this "opinion" sound particularly ridiculous. Go moderate other threads sheriff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And what makes you think the OP is a hobbyist or a collector?
    Kurt Vises are most certainly a topic of discussion on this forum. Everyone has used one in the professional world. So please tell us how this topic is of a hobbyist nature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Archer322 View Post
    Right on, thanks for that! So at least we know they didn't necessarily have USA on the bottom.
    How do you figure? Almost 1/2 of the bottom is not visible in comstockfriend's photos.

Looks like someone modded it to add the set screw maybe?
    Where do you see a set screw?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awander View Post
    How do you figure? Almost 1/2 of the bottom is not visible in comstockfriend's photos.
    While true it was also discussed in the thread I linked.

Quote Originally Posted by awander View Post

Where do you see a set screw?
    I was referring to the threaded holes in the machined flat areas. Guy I bought it from had mentioned those might have been put in after the fact but who the hell knows.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    And what makes you think the OP is a hobbyist or a collector?
    Kurt Vises are most certainly a topic of discussion on this forum. Everyone has used one in the professional world. So please tell us how this topic is of a hobbyist nature.
    I guess my experience is different than yours. In my experience, professionals worry about making quality products and turning a profit, and they do that by buying known good equipment, not trying to save every penny on unknown potential junk. But looks like I'm in the minority.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess my experience is different than yours. In my experience, professionals worry about making quality products and turning a profit, and they do that by buying known good equipment, not trying to save every penny on unknown potential junk. But looks like I'm in the minority.
    Hey look everyone, this guy's a professional machinist. He'd never look for deals on tools for his new business like a GD amateur. He started with all brand new equipment and a $100k Haas because he's a professional!

11. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a milling machine vice. Might be a Kurt, might be some other manufacturer, irrelevant, the concept is well out of patent. If it is flat and parallel it's good to go. If not, skim a few thou off the bed to make it so, then carry on.

If you have the opportunity before putting it into use, strip it down to its component parts and repair any defects.

What's the problem?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    It's a milling machine vice. Might be a Kurt, might be some other manufacturer, irrelevant, the concept is well out of patent. If it is flat and parallel it's good to go. If not, skim a few thou off the bed to make it so, then carry on.

If you have the opportunity before putting it into use, strip it down to its component parts and repair any defects.

What's the problem?
    Yeah I tore it down and cleaned it, works quite well. Was just curious about the history and whether this was genuine or not, not having seen much about Kurts with these markings. Tired of creative fixturing and this will make an upcoming job a heck of a lot easier.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IMO If it's genuine Kurt is a legitimate question. Not because it's "collectible", but because if it is, it's brings some inferred dimensional quality and consistency. Not that you should just assume it's square and clamps well, but you know you're on the right track. And if it does have a problem you can get parts! If it was a knock-off, maybe Kurt parts will fit but I'd doubt it.

We used to have a Kurt D60 type knock off in the shop. Worked well enough but it wouldn't tram in with other Kurt vises without a lot of messing around (not machined to the same dimensions), and the jaws were an entirely different bolt pattern than the standard 6" Kurt's are. We got some use out of it before it went to craigslist, but I wouldn't spend money on another like it. Why?

Because it wasn't a "Genuine Kurt."

15. Likes Archer322 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess my experience is different than yours.
    No, just your ego.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I sent some photos off to Kurt and they just got back to me, this is apparently a genuine Kurt. Also on closer inspection the mounting tabs do have a machined surface, but it is hard to tell at a glance.

18. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I sent some photos off to Kurt and they just got back to me, this is apparently a genuine Kurt. Also on closer inspection the mounting tabs do have a machined surface, but it is hard to tell at a glance.
    I would never have guessed that to be honest, but then again it's been a really long time since I've worked with those older Kurt vises.