What's new
What's new

Info available and advice on Strands Drill Press

Macfab

Plastic
Hello, my name is Trevor and I currently run a small fabrication shop in NJ. I work on just about anything including repairs on machine equipment and making one-off parts. I was partnering with my father until he decided to move to Florida which will leave me missing a few machines when he leaves, one of which being a drill press.

Currently we are running a Doall DTR-28 which is a medium sized, pneumatically controlled break arm drill press. The thing is awesome and does everything I need it to do. It’s primary job is drilling holes 1/2”+ in anything from 1/4”+ steel or aluminum (primarily 1/2” steel). I have acquired a south bend drill press for my smaller drill press needs.

I discovered a Strands/boice Crane drill press in similar size to the Doall that I have found an interest in but have not been able to find much info on it other than a parts manual. I understand this press is made in Sweden and appears to be in similar quality to an Argboda from what I’ve been reading. It meets my desire for a gear head press but I was really hoping to find a power down feed quill. This will most likely not be my forever press as I would eventually like to find something on par with the DTR-28 if not the same press but I need something in the <$1000 range to keep my business going. (I will be replacing multiple machines on a limited budget)according to the seller of this particular machine, the press is brand new, it was unboxed and never used. The condition of the press appears to reflect his word but I am unable to see it run. He says the model is a CS-303.

Now for my questions:
Without the power feed, will this still be a good candidate for my needs or can I find something more befitting in my price range?
He says the quill is a Morse Taper, can anyone confirm this is correct?
If I can get the machine for anything under $1k, is this a good deal? Is the machine of good quality that will provide me with some years of problem free use? Thanks in advance, I will try to post a picture of the machine to help identify.

I also have a buddy with a larger good condition 6 turret burgmaster turret drill I could probably pickup for $2-400, it doesn’t seem like a good candidate for what I need but would it hold me over for the time being just based solely off of price?

Here is a picture of the burgmaster I can get my hands on, like I said it doesn’t seem like it would be a great candidate for my needs, especially since it doesn’t appear to have variable speed as far as I can tell, maybe If it’s worth more then $200 I could try to resell it.

Last edited:
Should be Morse #3 based on what is sold around here.
Gearing is more closely spaced vs Arboga and top speed is 1400rpm vs 3600rpm on arboga but this is probably not a concern.

I'd consider 1 grand for unused a good deal. Around here Arboga and Strands are really common and (ab)used ones go for about 2 grand..
Dunno about your location or availability of gearhead drill presses.
Comparable new JET (re-branded Arboga) seems to be about 7 grand.

Back