What's new
What's new

Info needed on a VersaTap 12

J.L.M.

Aluminum
Hello guys..
I got my like new VersaTap 12 back and I trying to figure it out..
Made by K&K Manufacturing. Model 200. But the company is closed. Has the factory quick change tool holder ..
Is it a auto reversing tapping? If so what activates the reversing?
Is taps supposed to be in a rubber collet?
Anyone got a manual for this?

Any help or info is greatly appreciated. .

I had a VersaTap just like that decades ago but can't remember how the reverse was activated. I do remember the head was sourced from a standard Rockwell drill press with the unusual aspect being it had a DC drive motor. I have an old Rockwell catalog that describes it further but no time to locate that today.

I'd love to find a manual or any literature on it i can get.. do you remember if it used rubber tap collet so it didn't brake small taps off in the parts?

I have the same machine sitting in storage. Bought it because it has a Tapmatic head on it. I don't have any manuals, but I do have some collets / tap holders. As it was represented to me, it was operational when I got it. Would any photos be helpful?

I have the same machine sitting in storage. Bought it because it has a Tapmatic head on it. I don't have any manuals, but I do have some collets / tap holders. As it was represented to me, it was operational when I got it. Would any photos be helpful?

Don't know why they put a tapping head on it as it is a tapping head. Is tap holders for the factory QC tool holder or the Tapmatic head? I'd love pics of what you got. Cab you text me the pics? If so 765 499 1875

Don't know why they put a tapping head on it as it is a tapping head. Is tap holders for the factory QC tool holder or the Tapmatic head? I'd love pics of what you got. Cab you text me the pics? If so 765 499 1875
Right...the DC motor is reversing and even adjustable for torque.... see attached for the full scoop...

FullSizeRender-104.jpg FullSizeRender-105.jpg

Somewhere I have the actual sales brochure on the VersaTap but what you really need to know is on these Rockwell pages. The ball bearing drill chuck was probably a bit optimistic on Rockwell's part as to holding 1/2" taps without slipping and suspect that the VersaTap folks equipped their version with a flex collet tap chuck.

I'm guessing the rotating "drum" on the left side was added by K&K for setting different tap depths for production rather than having to adjust the standard Rockwell reversing nut/screw arrangement with each new tap or new depth requirement.

Right...the DC motor is reversing and even adjustable for torque.... see attached for the full scoop...

View attachment 233044 View attachment 233045

Somewhere I have the actual sales brochure on the VersaTap but what you really need to know is on these Rockwell pages. The ball bearing drill chuck was probably a bit optimistic on Rockwell's part as to holding 1/2" taps without slipping and suspect that the VersaTap folks equipped their version with a flex collet tap chuck.

I'm guessing the rotating "drum" on the left side was added by K&K for setting different tap depths for production rather than having to adjust the standard Rockwell reversing nut/screw arrangement with each new tap or new depth requirement.

I would love a copy of the versatap literature or id buy it from you if youll sell it to me? Mine has what I think is a factory QC tool holder on the spindle and tool holders that just has a stright bore in them with a set screw to hold the tool. this QC is like a coupler on your air hose kinda. I don't see how a straight bore holder with set screw will hold a tap without slipping. The QC looks to be K&Ks own design so I'm trying to figuar out how it tapped holes without slipping taps .. any more info or pics of the flex collets your talking about?

I would love a copy of the versatap literature or id buy it from you if youll sell it to me? Mine has what I think is a factory QC tool holder on the spindle and tool holders that just has a stright bore in them with a set screw to hold the tool. this QC is like a coupler on your air hose kinda. I don't see how a straight bore holder with set screw will hold a tap without slipping. The QC looks to be K&Ks own design so I'm trying to figuar out how it tapped holes without slipping taps .. any more info or pics of the flex collets your talking about?
Damned if I can remember what the tap holders were like. If the drill quill has a standard taper you could substitute a standard Bilz type QC chuck and use Bilz holders instead. The Bilz system is standard on most articulating arm tappers and much quicker to change taps in ...and since you have built in torque control Head you could use the less expensive non clutch type tap holders.

Damned if I can remember what the tap holders were like. If the drill quill has a standard taper you could substitute a standard Bilz type QC chuck and use Bilz holders instead. The Bilz system is standard on most articulating arm tappers and much quicker to change taps in ...and since you have built in torque control Head you could use the less expensive non clutch type tap holders.

You know where the versatap literature is you speak of? I'll look up the bilz stuff and see what it looks like. I ant positive what the factory spindle is. I'll have to check it..

looked up the Bilz stuff and it's like what the versatap has. From the pics below (I don't have machine in shop so I can't get better pics yet) can any ID the QC and tool holders? The chuck seems to be treaded on spindle. You pull collar up and slide tool holder in chuck like you would a air tool onto the hose. The tool holders are not tappered. There straight shank with 2 slots 180 degree apart that is perpendicular to the shank. The slots look to been milled in with a ball mill. The slots is only thing that keeps holder from spinning in chuck. This ringing a bell to anyone?

Attachments

• item-image-variations%2F21%2F23%2F4a%2Fdd%2F42%2F1f%2F42%2Fa9%2Fa4%2F1b%2F93%2F89%2F9f%2F1e%2F01.jpg
    item-image-variations%2F21%2F23%2F4a%2Fdd%2F42%2F1f%2F42%2Fa9%2Fa4%2F1b%2F93%2F89%2F9f%2F1e%2F01.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1757.jpg
    IMG_1757.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 70
Scully Jones perhaps? If so what does the tap adapters look like? Just a straight bore with square hole at end for the tap? Or did scully Jones make a rubber collet chuck adapter for taps?

Is there any way you would sell me the versatap literature or at least a good copy of it? Or would you atleast snap a pic of all of it and email it to me please?

It be appreciated. Thanks

Is there any way you would sell me the versatap literature or at least a good copy of it? Or would you atleast snap a pic of all of it and email it to me please?

It be appreciated. Thanks
Yes, but I moved to a new house in Jan. and some of my machine tool literature is still in plastic tubs...I checked the dozen four drawer filing cabinets where all is in alphabetical order but nothing for VersaTap there, so must be in on one of the plastic tubs somewhere. :o

Awesom. Can't wait to see pics of the literature and see what all it has to say. I thank I figured out I have a Scully Jones #2 magic chuck and 12 tool holders for it with 3/4" straight bores. Still not sure if they had a holder for the tap or if they tooled up the holders like I got with flex collet chucks for the taps.. I'd like to find a few more of these Scully Jones chucks so I can put them on my other drills so the drill bits in the holders can be used on any machine I got without setting up or changeing anything. Any one got any Scully Jones #2 chucks with a Morse taper? #3 or #4 or both. I'll have to check again..

Ok I got a Modern Magic chuck #2 on this versatap 12. So I'm looking for more #2 chucks and tool holders and tap drivers for the #2 chucks. Also need a #2 chuck on a #3 Morse tapper shank and 2 more #2 chucks on #4 MT shanks for my other drills with tool holders. May be interested in #3 chuck stuff too. What this chuck on my other drills so all tooling is interchangeable. . Still love to find a manual and literature on the versatap.. anyone got any magic chuck stuff?

Any luck finding that literature yet bub? Super excited to see what it has to say

Back