What's new
What's new

infornation on drill press chuck found on powermatic model 2800 name of manufacturer

larrry lion

Plastic
Iam told the name of the manufacturer is kowloon . suposedly located in hong kong. I have one broken jaw with this keyless chuck and would like to replace it but no one knows any thing about the chuck. powermatic gave me the name kowloon but I question whether its the real name? Does anyone have information on this chuck or where I might get parts for it?

If the company that made it does not care enough to even put a name on it I would bet they do not care enough to stock repair parts either.
Throw that POS in the scrap bin and get a better one, name brand, used ones are plentiful on Epay.

A shorter name for a drill chuck with a broken jaw is "scrap." You need to figure out what size chuck you need (capacity and mounting type) and get a good replacement.

Any chuck with a 2 Morse taper arbor should work. A capacity of 1/2 inch is the most practical. There is almost no advantage to having a 5/8 inch capacity drill chuck. If you buy a new chuck, buy a new 2 MT arbor with a Jacobs taper to fit the chuck. Most 1/2" chucks have either a 33 Jacobs taper or a 6, with the 6 being larger and stronger. Used drill chucks are often in bad condition, making them a waste of money. In some respects, key-type chucks are more practical than keyless, and they usually cost less.

The Powermatic 2800 drill is of overall suspect quality if they put a cheap chuck on it at the factory. Yes, the list price is high, but it may still be a cheap drill. The pictures make it look like a woodworking machine, too lightly built for general metal work. Powermatic used to be a good American brand, Now it is just a name found on Chinese products. Jacobs chucks are similar in that respect.

Hong Kong is the name of an island and also the name of the surrounding territory, all part of China. Kowloon is the name of the mainland peninsula adjacent to the island, connected to the island by ferry and tunnel.

Larry

Iam told the name of the manufacturer is kowloon . suposedly located in hong kong.

Google must have been out to lunch that day, then?

'Coz that's the funniest thing a nearly 30 year part-year resident of Quarry Bay, on "the island", now and then referred to as "Victoria", with a Hong Kong "permanent" ID card has heard in long years!

:)

There are (at least) two genuinely decent "primary" makers of drill chucks in PRC. More than one brand goes on their product.

I don't know or care how many bad ones. I have no more interest in buying "bad" drill chucks than already empty whisky bottles.

I only know that Rohm buys s**t from one, so I won't go near a formerly-good Rohm any longer, no matter where it is made. Nor a Jacobs, present era, either. Same reason.

One of the good ones knocks-off Jacobs design and does it as well as can be.

The other knocks-off Llambrich, Spain. All I've seen of those are adverts, but they have a good reputation.

Easier to buy the original Llambrich if you want really GOOD chucks, and without the RISK, as they have a US outlet. In Ohio. Wasn't good stuff, the Buckeyes might tar, feather and run their ass out of the state. They know their machinery out Ohio way.

LlambrichUSA

Their "Hybrid" keyed/keyless is a right handy bit of kit for a balance of speed AND controllable grip when yah need it.

look for a NOS usa made jacobs ,NOS Cushman(japan), LFA (france), or taiwanese Golden Goose/Vertex .

I'm not sure Golden Goose keyed chucks are still being manufactured. I purchased several back in the 1980's and was very happy with them. I tried to purchase one similar to the Jacobs 18N (3/4" capacity with a JT4 mount) a couple weeks ago and the only ones I could find was a NOS on eBay. I did a little research and found an older newspaper article that said the original manufacturer in Taiwan had discontinued the keyed models because they were being counterfeited by a company in mainland China.

I've since looked at several suppliers and none seem to have the larger models. All the smaller ones were labeled NOS and being sold at deep discounts. It would be nice to know if some of the larger ones are still available, and who is carrying them. I would be interested in a few more if they are the same quality as the ones I purchased years ago.

I'm not sure Golden Goose keyed chucks are still being manufactured. I purchased several back in the 1980's and was very happy with them. I tried to purchase one similar to the Jacobs 18N (3/4" capacity with a JT4 mount) a couple weeks ago and the only ones I could find was a NOS on eBay. I did a little research and found an older newspaper article that said the original manufacturer in Taiwan had discontinued the keyed models because they were being counterfeited by a company in mainland China.

I've since looked at several suppliers and none seem to have the larger models. All the smaller ones were labeled NOS and being sold at deep discounts. It would be nice to know if some of the larger ones are still available, and who is carrying them. I would be interested in a few more if they are the same quality as the ones I purchased years ago.

Not exactly a "countrefeit", given it is under the name of an already well-known maker of chucks in general, but... chucks is chucks as far as the "cheap seats" go..

One of mine is a 3/16" to 3/4" keyless/hook-spanner operated "San Ou", JT3 r's-howl.

Looks OK. Never did claim to be a Patek-Phillipe. Hasn't yet been worked hard enough I'd have cause to grumble.

But for damned-sure my first preference is still Llambrich. Not Jacobs. Because Jacobs has long NOT been "the same old company" either, and there just ain't enough old-maid Jacobs-clan virgins left out there in PM-land as NOS to count on them as reliable sources.

Have to keep in mind these are "slow" consumables, but consumable, nonetheless. Longevity" is an accidental crossbreed of careful use plus good fortune for a drill chuck. Rebuild kit? Can you ship a new BODY with that AND jaws already fitted? Where does that go? Whole new chuck is less cost and zero hassle?

Heavy Hams Hans the Alzmetall hole-banger uses a 5 MT, and locking-drift keyed if need be even so. Of course I have the several types of drift, redicng sleeves, even 5 MT reamers.

Around 20 years ago, I bought a Golden Goose 1/4" ball bearing keyed chuck on eBay. I put it on a Levin 10 mm 1JT chuck arbor and measured runout on a 1/8" dowel. It did not make the needle on a .0001" indicator move. Mind you, the Levin lathe headstock and arbor would be expected to produce that result. But the chuck? That was very surprising. So I bought six more of those chucks, which are still in the boxes, which say neither China nor Taiwan. With that sort of runout, who cares where they came from?

The pictures show the boxes and the Golden Goose 1/4" chuck above a Jacobs 8 1/2N 1/4" ball bearing chuck. The smaller size of the Golden Goose is an advantage for use in the tailstock of a little Levin lathe, which has 100 mm swing. Note that GG copied the look of the Jacobs and made it smaller, but with the same capacity.

Note that their trade mark is the head of a pelican, not a goose. The chuck has no name or country on it, just the pelican head.

Larry

DSC02223.jpg DSC02224.jpg

Note that their trade mark is the head of a pelican, not a goose. The chuck has no name or country on it, just the pelican head.

China... has 150+ offically recognized spoken langauge dialects for only 50-odd recognized ethnicities that utilize them. And then...their written language is no more directly connected to ANY of the spoken languages than a speed-bump in the pavement is to the concept of "drive slowly or take some grief".

As with brands or logos in general, folks are searching an already crowded field for SOMETHING that can be remembered easily by all comers.

In Hong Kong, I buy "Red Ant" Phillips hex driver tips, M'In law buys "Knife" brand cooking oil or other tinned goods with a bridge or a pagoda, etc. Not new. Who READS a Coke or Pepsi label.

So you WILL get some oddities.

FWIW-even-less-department:

Pelicans hang out in London's parks. Scarfing up unsuspecting squirrels, swallowed whole, as snacks for lack of fish.

Or maybe the wiley pelicans have simply gone a bit NUTS, like most denizens of major cities tend to do, and are after a kinky belly tickle from the inside, rodents not generally being up for dyin' EASY and Pelicans - good flyers - not carrying around the mass of heavy teeth to dispatch them as pre-prep.

Go Feather!

Back