What's new
What's new

Ingersoll Milling Machine Shop Videos

cash

Titanium
Was searching thru youtube and came across some video of the assembly floor at Ingersoll. John Maney who posted the video now installs machines with SNK.

This is some pretty impressive video of how they would rig the machine parts and it appears these guys had done this before.

The one guy handles what appears to me to be 3/4" chain like it it is 3/8" chain.

Note the hand signals to the crane operator.

Ingersoll Milling Fall of 97 Pt 2 - YouTube

There are several vidoes in this set. He has an older video from 89 where the operator is interpreting a circle with a monster right angle head.

I worked in this type environment for 37 years building dies from 50 tons on down, what's impressive was pulling a punch from the upper blank holder like the size of a Ford Econoline roof or body side with only .005 clearance between the punch & box wipers. Once it's out the punch now needs to be flipped right side up. We had 9 75/25 ton cranes 3 in each bay. Those were the good old days.

Interesting to watch but where I have worked using hooks alone to carry the load was a no-no. Also traveling any distance with hooks hanging down. My boss was in a shop in the UK where the hooks caught on a box that someone was grinding inside. Before the operator could stop the crane bridge the box was tipped and the guy was killed.

Interesting to watch but where I have worked using hooks alone to carry the load was a no-no. Also traveling any distance with hooks hanging down. My boss was in a shop in the UK where the hooks caught on a box that someone was grinding inside. Before the operator could stop the crane bridge the box was tipped and the guy was killed.

Great bit of film.

I agree on both points. Travelling without replacing the hooks in the master ring was frowned on as was lifting with the hooks in the work. I'm not saying I never lifted work like that but it wasn't encouraged.

A guy was killed in a place near me when the hooks were being raised without first being replaced in the master ring. The hook caught in a bolt stuck out of the side of the casting the guy was working on and tipped the casting over on the poor guy.

I had to repair most of the bridge raising mechanism on a planer that had been ripped away by an overhead crane travelling down the shop at top speed with the hooks left dangling.

Cash is right about the chains. Gear like that is really heavy to manipulate but those guys make them look like nothing at all. None of those guys are carrying any weight. Spend a day on that job and you'd sleep like a baby at night.

Interesting for a Brit to see that nobody is wearing what we call a " boiler suit ". They're all wearing a tee shirt and trousers. I spent most of my life in a " boiler suit ", it was always good to take it off at home time.

I spent some time overhead crane driving and I really enjoyed it. You're the King up in the cab. If you don't like the lift you tell the riggers to try again !

Regards Tyrone.

Great bit of film.

I agree on both points. Travelling without replacing the hooks in the master ring was frowned on as was lifting with the hooks in the work. I'm not saying I never lifted work like that but it wasn't encouraged.

A guy was killed in a place near me when the hooks were being raised without first being replaced in the master ring. The hook caught in a bolt stuck out of the side of the casting the guy was working on and tipped the casting over on the poor guy.

I had to repair most of the bridge raising mechanism on a planer that had been ripped away by an overhead crane travelling down the shop at top speed with the hooks left dangling.

Cash is right about the chains. Gear like that is really heavy to manipulate but those guys make them look like nothing at all. None of those guys are carrying any weight. Spend a day on that job and you'd sleep like a baby at night.

Interesting for a Brit to see that nobody is wearing what we call a " boiler suit ". They're all wearing a tee shirt and trousers. I spent most of my life in a " boiler suit ", it was always good to take it off at home time.

I spent some time overhead crane driving and I really enjoyed it. You're the King up in the cab. If you don't like the lift you tell the riggers to try again !

Regards Tyrone.

I agree on some of the issues on safety. Remember as well this was over 25 years ago. By now at Ingersoll I am sure things have changed, and a bit slower there as well.

As far as the boiler suits, yes this is interesting between the US and Europe. At our facility in Sheffield the fitters always wear boiler suits, or as we refer to them in the US coveralls.

In the US from my experience you only put coveralls on when you are going to get real dirty. Otherwise most large shops like this will supply shirts and pants. Rolled up sleeves are an option along with the top 3 buttons as you see here.....

I agree on some of the issues on safety. Remember as well this was over 25 years ago. By now at Ingersoll I am sure things have changed, and a bit slower there as well.

As far as the boiler suits, yes this is interesting between the US and Europe. At our facility in Sheffield the fitters always wear boiler suits, or as we refer to them in the US coveralls.

In the US from my experience you only put coveralls on when you are going to get real dirty. Otherwise most large shops like this will supply shirts and pants. Rolled up sleeves are an option along with the top 3 buttons as you see here.....

Hi Cash, I hadn't realised that " Ingersoll " were still in production. I thought they got taken over by " Alfred Herbert " and ruined by incompetent British management.

On your other point you're right it was quite a while ago and we've all got more safety conscious since then.

Regards Tyrone.

Ingersoll is owned by the same Italian group that owns Rombaudi. They are a shell of their former selves.

I think half of Rockford must have worked there at one time. I believe they have one of the largest milling machines in North America. It might be the largest.

You rarely see guys wearing coveralls in the US. It gets hot here. Even in the northern part of the country coveralls would be unbearable for at least 4 months of the year. I wear them sometimes in the winter to stay warm.

As an American, I always find it surprising to see European factories where folks are not wearing safety glasses. Here in the US that's like a constitutional requirement.

Hi Cash, I hadn't realised that " Ingersoll " were still in production. I thought they got taken over by " Alfred Herbert " and ruined by incompetent British management.

Regards Tyrone.

The history is getting a bit distant for me, but as I remember it, Ingersoll were one of the world's best special-purpose machine tool builders in the 60s. As far as I know they didn't try to compete in the low cost general purpose machine tool market (i.e. capstans, smaller production milling machines etc.)

Herbert by contrast (certainly in their Coventry Edgewick plant) were still churning out rather traditional lathes. At about the same time in the 60s, Herbert had acquired BSA-Churchill, but the two businesses were not easy to integrate and BSA sales were not what had been expected. BSA motorcycles were a seperate business by this stage in case you were wondering. The Birmingham and Coventry factories didn't seem to work well together (bit of an understatement).

Herbert Ingersoll was formed to bring Ingersoll's expertise into new market places - i.e. UK, Europe etc. I think most of the capital came from Herbert and they had a majority of the shares. Herbert Ingersoll was a separate business to both of the companies. They built a new pupose designed factory at Daventry (South of Coventry) which was considered something of a showpiece at the time. My impression is that Ingersoll contributed a lot of expertise to this new business, but Herbert were already into a terminal decline. The Daventry factory had significant numbers of NC machine tools, in contrast to Edgewick. The management had a better reputation than the parent Herbert company did (another understatement).

Herbert Ingersoll won a very significant order for a complete transfer line to make the Avenger engine block at the Rootes engine plant at Stoke Aldermoor in Coventry. I worked on this transfer line and I was impressed by the level of automation and the overall engineering (for the time). I rather doubt that Herbert's had much input into this project. I think they also won a few other orders but the sales rather quickly ran dry and the Herbert-Ingersoll company became a significant drain on Herbert, who were at the same time suffering from a lot of semi-obsolete products. I don't think that Herbert Ingersoll ever made a profit, but I can't back that up with anything. The Herbert management was notoriously poor (I had friends who worked there). Bail outs were needed to keep going, but in the end Herberts went bust. I assume Herbert Ingersoll failed at about the same time.

I may have some of the details wrong, please correct if this the case.

My overall view of the whole debacle is that Ingersoll suffered from poor judgement getting into bed with Herberts. Herberts were disfunctional in so many different ways that any joint venture would probably have failed, regardless of who their partners were.

I don't know the timeline, but Ingersoll partnered with or owned part of Waldrich Siegens and Waldrich Coburg in Germany. I worked on an Ingersoll bridge mill with a Waldrich built spindle. All of the drawings for the spindle were in German. No translation was made.

Sometime around 2000 they got in some big financial trouble and sold out to the Italians.

This is one of those larger Ingersoll bridge mills that was bought in 1967 for a million dollars, it was a NC tape machine. The table has 2 upper first form dies with the split line being machined. The dies were for the right & lefthand rear Ford Econoline doors. Around 1987 the 3 tape machines we had were converted to CNC.image.jpg

This is one of the mills at Ingersoll, maybe the one ewlsey was talking about? (I couldn't find the original video)
Biggest cut of any machine I've been able to find aside from the Binns super-lathes
Heavy Cutting on Machining Centre - YouTube

This was a machine we built for a company in Newcastle Pa. It wasn't a very large machine, just had a very stout cross rail and columns to support the heavy spindles. Cat 60 on all the attachments. 24 inch face mill, 18 wide cut .5 deep 23 ipm feed rate. The chip conveyors went directly from the pit to a rail car. It was used to slab ingots of d-2, P20 and other better alloy stuff.

The guy scraping was just one of the hands there. I didnt see his face long enough to remember his name. There were at least 25 guys there when that machine was built that could take on that kind or work. That is a side liner for the main guide way on a normal big mill. They are hydrostatic/ pressure lube opposed liner on the rack and worm side and a similar sized ampco gib on the other side.

Chains were very normally left hanging. The operator was pretty busy all day either moving the parts or servicing the big mill at one end of the same bay as heavy assembly. I don't remember ever seeing a close call with hooks and something big on the floor.
All of those guys throwing chains are still there. WE learned early on how to handle the big chains without too much work at it. The 1-1/4 chains were never much fun

Back