What's new
What's new

Injection Mold Machine Specs

smp4616

Plastic
Does anyone have a recommendation as to where to find some basic info about mold machines? I'm really looking for things like where mounting screws for the mold base are located, different size alignment rings, nozzle tip sizes and tolerances, I've worked at a mold shop building the things but that was a few years back and we never dealt with the shop running the molds, so I never got to see that part of the operation, but I'm looking at building some of my own molds for some parts I will be making in house soon. Thanks -Sean

Hi smp4616:
You really need to know what press the mold is going to be run in, and then you can get the platen drawings from the molding press manufacturer if you really want them.

Having said that, some dimensions are pretty much standard for Imperial machines and some for metric machines.
The distance between the knockouts is typically 3 1/2" and the locating ring is typically 3.995" diameter on a normal inch machine. (although the locating ring dimensions can vary quite a bit from machine to machine).
The knockout holes in the ejector plate are typically threaded 1/2:13 and the knockouts holes in the bottom plate are typically 1 1/2" diameter or thereabouts.
The mounting hole pattern in the platen is completely irrelevant...just about every molder uses adjustable gooseneck or strap clamps to bolt the mold into the press, so they just pick the closest convenient holes

Other things you need to know is the distance between the tiebars and the minimum and maximum daylight between the platens, as well as the maximum ejection stroke.
You need to know whether they like to use 7/8" tall clamps or 1" tall clamps to bolt the mold in.
You need to know whether the sprue bushing needs to be 1/2" radius or 3/4" radius for their convenience (some molders get pissy if they have to change nozzles).
You need to know which surfaces they want eyebolt holes in.

All of this is specific to the molder and you cannot anticipate all of it until you know the size of press you'll need and how well it matches with what they have.
Most molders have several sizes of presses, but some smaller operators have only one or two.
Some molders are super flexible and some have a real big stick up their asses about what they will accept.

So ideally, before you design the mold, you'll have already talked to the molder you intend to use, and they will pick the best fit from their selection.
They then tell you what they will use and what they demand, and you build the mold to suit.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Thanks, there's a smaller shop nearby that does a lot of local jobs so I'll talk to them

Marcus hit the high points... except for those dammed European machines that have a locating ring on the movable platter too, and metric to boot. If you need dimensioned drawings of common stuff find the Web site's of the following companies:

Plastic Process Equipment for little stuff
Superior Die Mold for mold bases
D-M-E for everything but hard to navigate
Omni Mold for side actions and components.
Dennis

Back