• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 40
  • Views 3,639

Ox

Diamond
[hope this hasn't already been posted]

What in the world is this?

That is taken from the MasterCam banner ad on this site.

I followed the link but couldn't find that pic anywhere.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Not familiar with that, however, for many years, VW, Audi, Bentley have built VR6/W12 engines with narrow-angle (15-degree) offset bores such as those.

cp040981-engine-cylinder-block-28-12v-vr6-afp-99-05-vw-jetta-gti-mk4-021-103-021-r-2.jpg

jack vines

That’s a W8 engine, comes in the 2003 Volkswagen Passat w8 four motion.
It has a horrible reputation.

The Bugatti Veyron uses a very similar engine called the w16.

There is only one crankshaft the rods share

They share just one throw?
Or 2 or 4 throws?
(I would haft'a think it's at least 2 throws?)

Not been able to find a pic online.

Essentially the same as a radial airplane motor?

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

That looks "normal" to me.
I don't see a master slave even on the pair?
THIN - yeah - and maybe that's the problem - low surface area?

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I think The complexity and rarity combined with the fragility equal a bad bad reputation.

Mechanical error aside almost every engine can last with the proper care.

A fellow I had some business dealings with bought an Olds wagon with the diesel in it.He also had a new MB diesel sedan. When people were trying to get a class action lawsuit against GM for the crank shaft problems he recieved a letter wanting him to participate.

His response was that the OLDS was much better than the Benze ,smoother,quieter roomier and much cheaper. He was quite happy with the Olds and would not participate in any lawsuit!

I made a comment that maybe being based on the gas motor that some compromises had to be made. That set him off! He loved that thing. I felt it prudent not to pursue it.
There is nothing that GM didn't do beef up to the gas motor for diesel use,I doubt that there is anything the same as the gas motor. However they had to use the same transfer line to machine the motors. So they couldn't change the bore centers which means the crank journals had to have the same dimentions. So maybe that was the problem.

Kind of like a BBC 396 325hp and a 396 375hp motor. All the parts will interchange but the only parts that are the same is the water pump and the bolts(exc rod bolts).

Actually, the Oldsmobile diesel block was stronger than the gas block.
Joe Mondello sold a conversion kit to use the diesel block as a basis for a strong gas motor for drag racing.
Talked to Joe one day. Real nice guy.

I had an old guy some years back that wanted to have me make a diesel engine with 2 four cylinder crankshafts, 1 cam, a big generator for a flywheel on each crank. The pistons were opposed running at each other. the generators were going to run a motor on each wheel of an automobile, he was convinced it was the next big thing, he is gone now and I never got very interested though I would like to have seen it run.

Sounds like a 427 SOHC "Cammer" with either big timing chain a 1/4 mile long, or a slew of idler gears to get/keep the two cranks in time?

I think I'll pass....

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I had an old guy some years back that wanted to have me make a diesel engine with 2 four cylinder crankshafts, 1 cam, a big generator for a flywheel on each crank. The pistons were opposed running at each other. the generators were going to run a motor on each wheel of an automobile, he was convinced it was the next big thing, he is gone now and I never got very interested though I would like to have seen it run.

Opposed piston engine. You can see some homemade OP engines running on the youtube (some are even mated lawn mower engines). They are neat and “more efficient” as I’ve read but the cost and lack of support in the world still to this day is a prohibiting factor.

Actually, the Oldsmobile diesel block was stronger than the gas block.
Joe Mondello sold a conversion kit to use the diesel block as a basis for a strong gas motor for drag racing.
Talked to Joe one day. Real nice guy.

This is true, good/fresh diesel blocks were sought after for high HP GAS builds.

Now a days I think billet blocks and such are the standard

Well I think that double opposed goes back to the steam days eh?
It's not a new concept, but hard on real estate!

If it is more efficient, then it would have application in stationary power, or even big ship, but I don't see it going down the road any time soon.

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back